HELP! Double Jaguar mod assistance required

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
CIJ
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

HELP! Double Jaguar mod assistance required

Post by CIJ » Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:44 am

I want to mod my Jaguar to achieve two things:

1. Have both pickups in series when the neck and bridge pickup switches are both down (instead of the usual kill switch in this position) - see image linked below.
2. Alter the rhythm circuit so that both pickups and the strangle switch are selectable just as they are in the lead circuit. It would be ideal if the series mod (from point 1 above) would also work in the same way when the rhythm circuit is selected.

I found this wiring scheme for mod 1 but I don't know how to combine it with 2, assuming both are compatible.

Mod 1

Does anyone have a diagram that combines these two mods, by any chance?

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: HELP! Double Jaguar mod assistance required

Post by timtam » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:08 am

So in essence you want this sequence: pickups->pickup switches/strangle (with series/parallel mod)->rhythm/lead switch ... signal then sent to rhythm or lead circuit, right ?

The schematic for a jag with both pickups going into the rhythm circuit (and also the lead circuit, as usual) looks like that below. The series/parallel mod can just be slotted in, in place of the standard pickup section/strangle circuit shown.

The regular jag circuit looks like this. You can see that the lead circuit pickup selection/strangle circuit shown has just moved in the above schematic to become the first thing that the pickup signals connect to. So it should be clear where wires need to be changed. For example the neck pickup (hot) now goes to the neck pickup selector switch not to the rhythm/lead switch.

Here's a possibly clearer pick of your series/parallel switch wiring diagram. Note that unlike in normal parallel switching, series switching also requires the ground signal from one pickup to be switched (in this case the bridge).
https://guitar.com/guides/diy-workshop/ ... t-guitars/
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

CIJ
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by CIJ » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:30 am

Thank you so much for this. Going by your description you are correct in your reading of what I want to do. You don't happen to have the schematic in one of those wysiwyg diagrams for dummies that looks more like what I'll be seeing when I open up the control panels on the guitar (such as you've done above for the series mod)? I'm quite inexperienced at modding and I'm worried I'll get lost trying to follow your proper schematic for grown-ups.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:06 am

Sorry I don't have a wiring diagram. Maybe someone else does.

So the schematic is the circuit design - it determines whether the circuit will work or not. The way to draw a wiring diagram from a schematic is to draw the components on a sheet of paper in their approximate physical locations on the guitar, showing all their terminals, and then draw a wire between them for every link that appears in the schematic. Since some of what you want is stock wiring anyway, you can start with a standard jag wiring diagram like the Vintera 60s linked below. It performs exactly the functions that are in the standard jag schematic above.
https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Orig ... 1_2019.pdf

Instead of pen and paper, you could use guitar wiring diagram software like the free DIYLC. That also has a feature (Analyse Guitar Diagrams) that tests whether your wiring design will actually work (although I haven't tried it).
http://bancika.github.io/diy-layout-creator/

The only skill in drawing a wiring diagram from a schematic is matching the layout of physical components to their diagrammatic equivalents in the schematic. You should be able to do that from the Vintera 60s wiring diagram and the schematic. In so doing you learn how those components actually work, eg how a switch connects each terminal to another when the switch is thrown. Regarding the inter-connecting wires, occasionally there is not an exact 1-1 match between the schematic and wiring diagram - the person who drew the wiring diagram simply decided that their way was functionally equivalent to the schematic. Once you have a wiring diagram, you should make a list of each wire connection that needs to be made, and solder from that list rather than primarily from the diagram (otherwise you are likely to miss things).
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

CIJ
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by CIJ » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:07 am

Okay, I got this wiring diagram off TDPRI.com member Bearzooka. He cautions that he isn't sure if it'll work. If anyone has any comments about it or spots any issues, please let me know - it'll be a couple of weeks before I get a chance to get to work on this.

Jaguar mods wiring diagram