Series mod for Jaguar

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Stephen_42
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Series mod for Jaguar

Post by Stephen_42 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:36 pm

timtam wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:26 pm

So maybe it is your wiring ? Do you have internal shielding, or any other points where a hot could short to the shielding or adjacent ground ?
Thanks for the reply! I'll have a check. But just to confirm, am I right in saying that I shouldn't have to isolate the bridge pickup's ground (as in he first step) and this is already taken care of?

Other potential issue: my Jaguar is a Squier VM. I assumed it was the right kind of switches, but maybe not?

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:07 pm

Yes those pickups appear to already have a coil ground side that is isolated from the case, which has its own ground (the only one that should be permanently grounded). So they're all set for series wiring.

I haven't done this particular series mod (mine is the 4-way Am Pro / Marr style), but the Squier VM has the correct DPDT slide switches for the job ...
https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Orig ... iagram.pdf
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

Stephen_42
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Stephen_42 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:32 pm

timtam wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:07 pm
Yes those pickups appear to already have a coil ground side that is isolated from the case, which has its own ground (the only one that should be permanently grounded). So they're all set for series wiring.

I haven't done this particular series mod (mine is the 4-way Am Pro / Marr style), but the Squier VM has the correct DPDT slide switches for the job ...
https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Orig ... iagram.pdf

Thanks again! Just to check I'm not being an idiot:

- I've left the capacitor on the strangle switch as it was (i.e. on the bottom row of three pins, rather than the top on the diagram) and run the wire from the middle switch the pin that has the capacitor on it. This shouldn't affect anything, but including it for completeness.

- The wire labelled 'neck pickup' on the original diagram goes to the rhythm circuit switch.

- The wire labelled 'output' is unchanged from stock. From the bottom of the strangle switch to the lead circuit tone pot.

Just to make sure, I do have the ground wires from the bridge pickup the right way round? i.e. red one goes to ground, black one goes to the middle switch?

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:48 pm

Stephen_42 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:32 pm
Thanks again! Just to check I'm not being an idiot:

- I've left the capacitor on the strangle switch as it was (i.e. on the bottom row of three pins, rather than the top on the diagram) and run the wire from the middle switch the pin that has the capacitor on it. This shouldn't affect anything, but including it for completeness.

- The wire labelled 'neck pickup' on the original diagram goes to the rhythm circuit switch.

- The wire labelled 'output' is unchanged from stock. From the bottom of the strangle switch to the lead circuit tone pot.

Just to make sure, I do have the ground wires from the bridge pickup the right way round? i.e. red one goes to ground, black one goes to the middle switch?
Yes, strangle switch cap / output should be unchanged.
Yes, neck hot comes from the rhythm switch.
Yes, red is grounded, black is 'bridge pickup ground' to the switch.

BTW I'm just going off the wiring diagram. Since I haven't done this exact mod I can't guarantee that it works. But presumably someone else can verify that.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

Stephen_42
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Stephen_42 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:38 pm

timtam wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:48 pm
Yes, strangle switch cap / output should be unchanged.
Yes, neck hot comes from the rhythm switch.
Yes, red is grounded, black is 'bridge pickup ground' to the switch.

BTW I'm just going off the wiring diagram. Since I haven't done this exact mod I can't guarantee that it works. But presumably someone else can verify that.
Thanks for your help! Nice to have a sanity check. I still can't see what's wrong myself, and it seems to be right in principle so I guess I've just screwed up the implementation.

I'll undo it and try to put it together again over the weekend, see if I can find what didn't work first time!

2fLAz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 2fLAz » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:38 pm

I did this mod on a bass VI
Works perfectly
So you might have a wiring issue or faulty switch
Also, in a case the grounding of pu should go to shielding but not for all pickups. Thus you might want to solder together red and black for neck PU if i am reading well.

Basically, neck pu, solder red and black together and go to shielding, white goes to switch
Bridge pu: red to shielding, black and white to switch as indicated

Stephen_42
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Stephen_42 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:14 pm

Fixed it!

Thanks for the help guys - the claw ground for the neck pickup wasn't going anywhere, and that's what caused the grounding issues.

Silly mistake, but I bought this guitar so that I could learn to do things like this!

JayMaster77
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by JayMaster77 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:23 am

Hello everyone, I tried this mod when reassembling a VM-CV Squier Jaguar hybrid.
Everything is like on the diagram, but something's not right, in that on the "both pickups off" position (which should get them in series), only the bridge pickup is on.
All the connections seem right, but I must admit I'm a total newbie and still don't get everything a lot about schematics. If I understand this correctly, though, something must be wrong in the wiring between the first and second switch on the plate, right? The bridge pickup works as intended, in that it's not off also when the switch is off, so there must be something wrong on the first switch, which controls the neck one.
If anyone has any tip or idea about where I could check next it would be most welcome!

SY6655321
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SY6655321 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:36 pm

If you're using the diagram on page 1, my best guess is you forgot to isolate the bridge pickup's ground. I've seen many people forget this step. Theres a little wire connecting the metal claw to the pickup, cut it. Solder a new wire to the claw and send it to ground.