Pickup-testing offset

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
epizootics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Pickup-testing offset

Post by epizootics » Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:59 pm

The scale length thread made me realize I didn't post about the pickup testbed guitar I made earlier this year.
It was long overdue, as so far I had had to swap pickups on a bunch of different guitars every time I wanted to test a new design, which can be a pain in the *ss depending on how tinker-friendly a given model is (hear that, Jazzmaster pickguard?)

I wanted the pickups to be adjustable axially as well as vertically, and a way to test different pot values. Here is what I ended up doing :

I built everything from offcuts and leftovers. I whipped up a bog-standard, 25.5" scale neck with an ugly-grained rosewood fretboard and a not-so-pretty maple blank I had lying around in my workshop. The body is mahogany from an old shelf glued over a piece of cherry wood. Before the glue-up, I routed a channel that went between the bridge posts and into the control cavity. I then routed a bunch of pickup cavities onto a walnut neck blank that had a slight twist in it, chopped them into small blocks, and routed a swimming pool into the body that would automatically center them with the strings. For ease of installation, I routed off the lower section of the guitar and 'recreated' the missing wood with a piece of maple. Said piece of maple can be secured to the body with two thumbwheel screws going into two threaded inserts. The friction keeps the pickup blocks in place when it is screwed in.

For the electronics, I went with the simplest system I could think of to emulate the most common pot values. The two 1meg pots are connected to two On/Off/On switches that add one of two resistors in parallel between the hot lug and ground. Values are 1 megaohm and 333 k ohms, so that the resulting resistance is either 500k or 250k. With the switches in the middle position, the pots stay at their 1 meg value.

I had originally planned to use a screw-on terminal block set into the channel, but it turned out to be hard to maneuver the wires down there so I ended up going with two small Wago snap-on connectors to connect the pickups to the electronics.

(one is missing here, I had to borrow it for another project)

I would have added an output wire and an On/On/On switch to test the pickups in parallel, but I like being able to wire the pickups in series easily.

On top of being a tool I badly needed as a pickup maker, it is a lot of fun to use. How does a Tele bridge pickup sound in the neck position? No problem. What does the parallel position sound like with a Jazzmaster bridge pickup and a Gold Foil in the neck? Lemme check. I have actually taken it to gigs as my spare guitar.

Nudger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Pickup-testing offset

Post by Nudger » Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:40 am

Great work!
Have you designed/moded any guitars with different pup cofig due to your experiments?

epizootics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by epizootics » Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:18 am

Nudger wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:40 am
Great work!
Have you designed/moded any guitars with different pup cofig due to your experiments?
Cheers!

I haven't - yet. It has been a while since I built a guitar as I have been focusing on my pickup production. I work with several luthiers and I did use the mule recently to rule out a combination I thought would work for one of their clients, a lipstick pickup in the middle position, to be used in series only with a P90 in the bridge and a Gold Foil-ish pickup in the neck. It simply didn't add much to the sound so they went with another Gold Foil-ish pickup in the middle and a 4-way selector.
But I am definitely going to use it for my subsequent builds. Being able to find the exact pickup location I need for a given tonal concept is pretty cool; and I get to try all sorts of whacky combinations before taking the router out...One thing I found out is that I really like a 12-alnico pole humbucker in the middle position. I can see a one-pickup-in-the-middle guitar taking shape in my mind :)

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:02 am

excellent idea and execution !

looking forward to a new era in pickup cpmparison reporting !

:)