Removing Jaguar Electronics for Refinish?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Beebe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Removing Jaguar Electronics for Refinish?

Post by Beebe » Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:46 am

Any advice on the best places to unsolder wires?

It's a Cobain model Jaguar.
Without music, life would be a mistake.

ohm-men
Expat
Expat

Re: Removing Jaguar Electronics for Refinish?

Post by ohm-men » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:03 am

Best unsolder at the swtiches (where the wires are soldered to the lugs)
I would strongly advice against unsoldering the wires at the bottom of the pickups. (although since the KC has humbuckers it's unlikely you would do that) .
Use a small solder iron with a small tip.
20 to 30 Watts top. More wattage will be overkill and to hot imho.

Make notes of the wires you unsolder. Draw your own diagram (Although I think it would be easy to find the right wiring diagram online)
But I usuallly find making your own notes/wiring diagram helps when reassembling/resoldering. (At least it does for me ;) )
Only unsolder the wires that need unsoldering to remove the pickguard from the guitar.
The less wires you need to unsolder, the easier and less chance to do something wrong afterwards.

Unsolder the ground wire at the pot and leave it in the guitar. (less hassle afterwards)
I usually put all the parts in small zip lock bags and keep these together in a larger bag.

Try to unsolder as close to the lugs as possible andstay away from the coating of the wires as these melt easely whentouched by the tip of the soldering iron.

And be carefull not to burn your fingers as solder iron's get really hot...

I pretty sure there will be a youtube tutorial that shows you how to aproach this. It's always more helpful then reading this stuff :P
Good luck and tell us what you are planning with your Jaguar!

atomicwash
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by atomicwash » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:47 am

I take lots of photos from many angles before I start a project like this.

Amon 7.L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Amon 7.L » Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:16 pm

Beebe wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:46 am

Unless there's something I'm missing here, the KC Jaguar doesn't have isolated routes that would require unsoldering the wires between pickguard and plates:

All routes are open and connected, the only wire to unsolder would be the ground wire coming out of the bridge thimble and/or shielding paint but aside from that, all you'd have to do is to unscrew pickguard & control plates and put them aside fully wired as they are.
Refinish the body---> re-attach the harness---> re-solder the ground wires---> rock it!

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:57 pm

Amon 7.L wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:16 pm
Beebe wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:46 am

Unless there's something I'm missing here, the KC Jaguar doesn't have isolated routes that would require unsoldering the wires between pickguard and plates:

All routes are open and connected, the only wire to unsolder would be the ground wire coming out of the bridge thimble and/or shielding paint but aside from that, all you'd have to do is to unscrew pickguard & control plates and put them aside fully wired as they are.
Refinish the body---> re-attach the harness---> re-solder the ground wires---> rock it!
This is the way all guitars should be