Jaguar Pickup Advice--Warmer Clean Tones, Chime w/out Icepick

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
epizootics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jaguar Pickup Advice--Warmer Clean Tones, Chime w/out Icepick

Post by epizootics » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:57 pm

As others have said, swapping your pots for 500k (or 250k) might get you there. It certainly is the most cost-effective solution and worth a try. You can even solder resistors across the pots (1meg for 500k, 330k for 250k) to see what that would sound like before buying new pots, bearing in mind that that arrangement will screw with the taper somewhat when you roll them down.

If that doesn't do it, any decent boutique pickup maker can wind you a pair of Jag pickups with AWG 43. 9500 / 10.000 turns for the bridge and 8500 / 9000 turns for the neck will get you there with alnico 5. You can even get closer to a Rick sound by using 1/4" alnico rods. SD's Quarter Pound pickups don't get much love around here but they are waaaay overwound.

solfege
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by solfege » Wed May 01, 2024 5:38 pm

I have a set of Tim at Sunday Handwound's Tomcats, A4, vintage stagger, etc. Really nice and very chimey.

crazyzeke
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by crazyzeke » Wed May 01, 2024 11:16 pm

epizootics wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:57 pm
As others have said, swapping your pots for 500k (or 250k) might get you there. It certainly is the most cost-effective solution and worth a try.

Nice to see this mod gaining such traction (been mentioned in this thread 2-3 times now I think) - my #1 Jag has been running 500K pots in the lead circuit for 15+ years now, I highly recommend it.

Makes the gulf between the rhythm and lead circuits a lot smaller, as in the rhythm circuit is still darker but it's not a million miles away from the neck pickup setting on the lead.

Also means that if you keep the value of the resistor on the thin switch the same, it has a much more drastic effect when you enable it. I personally really like that, as with bridge pickup/thin switch/compressor you can get by for funk even when running much hotter pickups.

epizootics wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:57 pm
SD's Quarter Pound pickups don't get much love around here but they are waaaay overwound.

Well they get a lot of love from me - I've put them in a few Jags over the years, and still have the SJAG-3n in my current one. Very warm tone, a lot fatter than a regular Jag will ever manage, but for what the OP is asking for I think way too much output, maybe even too dark. Perhaps the SD Hot set, which are somewhere between vintage and QP, would be a better recommendation.
2003 CIJ Fender Jaguar, sunburst (SJAG-3n neck, SHR-1b bridge, 500K lead circuit pots/speed knobs, Mastery bridge, Buzz Stop, Squier JM JM vibrato plate, modified whammy bar)

2022 MIM Fender Meteora, cosmic jade (top mounted input jack added)