Double vintage pickup identification (Fender and not)

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
raphaël
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Double vintage pickup identification (Fender and not)

Post by raphaël » Mon May 06, 2024 12:49 am

Hey !
Thank you in advance for looking :)

Those ones might be easy :
I have to restore a '65 Mustang that belongs to one of my music students' grandpa. It has been disassembled for the past 35ish years, when some car guy sprayed a heavy layer of red on it...after some uncle used parquet varnish on the whole guitar...glueing for instance the very worned frets to the fretboard. The neck is actually a freaking mess. I think it's unusable anymore. Or it will ask multiple €$£ to make it alive again (the guitar spent the past 3 or 4 decades in an opened and humid garage :'( )

Hence the poor state of the pickups :

They have Strat covers. Means that a modification had been made at some point, I'd just like to know if they are the original '65 Mustang pickups. Because owners don't have any kind of clue :D

Those ones might be harder to ID :
A friend of mine bought this ''boutique/homemade'' guitar, and we can't ID those pickups. We can tell they are small humbuckers though. But that's it. I remember having already seen those plates, the base, but can't be specific (Klira maybe??) :wacko:
My guess is east EU though, or USSR. But I can not be sure and I can not find any picture of them anywhere on the internet.

Thank you for your help !!
Have a great day

MattK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Double vintage pickup identification (Fender and not)

Post by MattK » Mon May 06, 2024 2:03 am

The first ones look like the 65 pickups in my Mustang, but the pencil annotation is different. I’d get some close up shots of that in good light, after cleaning them with a soft paintbrush. Given how long they’ve been sitting in storage it seems very unlikely there would have been some kind of reproduction 60s Mustang pickups available at the time. Simpler to assume they are what they look like.
No idea about the other ones!

countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by countertext » Mon May 06, 2024 5:16 am

Those look like correct ‘65 Mustang pickups. Somebody just drilled holes in the covers to let the tone in.

The other pickup’s two big flathead height adjustment screws remind me of Jolana pickups, but the cover isn’t familiar.

interceptör
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by interceptör » Mon May 06, 2024 6:01 am

countertext wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 5:16 am
Those look like correct ‘65 Mustang pickups. Somebody just drilled holes in the covers to let the tone in.
Teehee... Yeah the holes look pretty wonky, and the rest kind of remind me to take my tetanus shot. But it's a cool find, nevertheless; do we get to see the rest?

raphaël
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by raphaël » Mon May 06, 2024 10:02 am

It didn't occured to me that the cover were hand-drilled before :whistle: :fp:
But yeah, obviously they are. So yes, they must be original.
As for the rest of the guitar, I'll try to find some time to take and post pictures.
Thanks👍🏽