Buildup of a 1963 Fender Jaguar

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:55 pm

Fullerplast's "Buildup of a 1963 Fender Jaguar" is now hosted on site, detailing the careful collection and restoration of a '63 Jag from its component parts.

Post comments or ask questions in this thread...
Last edited by fullerplast on Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

mjet
Expat
Expat

Re: Buildup of a 1963 Fender Jaguar

Post by mjet » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:42 am

Hooray! Gives me inspiration for my own OlyWhite Jaguar project (although mine will be a '66 with blocks and binding)...
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:33 am

fantastic! that is a great article, and a fantastic looking Jag!

I got them html pages I knocked up, when the '61 I bought from Doug is taken apart and photographed...should we have that on the site too? or maybe we could get a parts reference guide?

I could submit some of the pics

or something...I dunno...just an idea :)

http://www.againstperfection.net/guitars/61/61_1.html
Resident Spartan.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:28 am

Those are some really good photos John. It will look amazing later when you have restored to blonde, not that it doesn't look good now though :). Those are some of the best parts I've ever seen. I'm amazed at the condition of everything. Have fun with it!

I think I'm going  to buy my next Jazzmaster from you, Doug  ;)

Justin
Last edited by i love sharin foo on Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

Vinkie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Vinkie » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:32 pm

Thank you all for those pictures and explanation! My refin '63 Jag used to be Olympic White and I am planning on restoring it to original spec so all this is very inspring.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:23 pm

You are very welcome!

We're happy you joined our forum and pleased to find the article is useful!

Let us know if/how we can help you with your Jag...

:)
Q. Are we not men?

CurtisNovak
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CurtisNovak » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:17 pm

mezcalhead wrote: Fullerplast's "Buildup of a 1963 Fender Jaguar" is now hosted on site, detailing the careful collection and restoration of a '63 Jag from its component parts.

Post comments or ask questions in this thread...
Nice pictures and congrats... Nice attention to detail.  A couple of minor nits, I only mention them b/c of your attention to detail.
These might just be in your own wording and not related to Lay's attention to detail but, Olympic White was NEVER Nitrocelluous, it along w/ the Metallic paints were ALWAYS Acrylic Lacquer.  It was the Clear coat that was Nitro.  Secondly Fullerplast is not Yellow it is and was water clear the yellow was an aniline stain that was applied to the raw wood prior to the Fullerplast.

One comment to Lay's work was the yellow "Paint Stick" is not correct.  They have the basic dimension correct but it should not be masking paint up the side of the neck pocket.  Fender used a hammered flat piece of metal conduit to attach the body to during finishing so the "Paint Stick" mark should ONLY be at the base of the neck pocket.  this picture is the one I am referring to Image
Gonads are useful for their purpose, but are NO substitute for brains.

---

[url=http://www.myspace.com/curtisnovak]www.myspace.com/curtisnovak

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:33 pm

Thanks Curtis.

I was not aware of the fact that OW was not nitro. Thanks for that info!

I think many people are under the misconception that Fullerplast was yellow, as was I until relatively recently. I need to update the article with these things, and also correct some text and font that got a bit garbled when we moved the article over here.

I was aware of the paint stick discrepancy on my Jag. I've also noted from several originals that there is usually a bit of overspray on the inboard edge of the neck pocket (into the 'shadow'), due to the conduit not having a crisp flat edge. Their (Lay's) paint stick shadow is apparently either done by tape, or a flat piece of metal or wood with a 90 degree edge.

Thanks for your comments! It's quite flattering, especially from a professional such as yourself.
Last edited by fullerplast on Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Q. Are we not men?

CurtisNovak
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CurtisNovak » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:47 pm

I am not  sure if I deserve the professional designation, but thanks for the kind words just the same.

Yeah I think OW is the only non metallic that was Acrylic you can tell which ones were Acrylic if there is a "L" at the end of the OEM paint number.  That is one reason why some of the OW guitars never yellowed over time b/c the clear coat step was skipped.  Interesting side note I recently asked to do a write up on Herbie Flowers' Jazz Bass for an upcoming article for some magazine in Europe.    It is a very interesting Bass in that it was a Fiesta Red Bass that was over sprayed w/ LPB at the factory, that is not that uncommon, but what was very rare was that the LPB was NOT clear coated it was totally apparent in that it was still bright Blue, and the metal flake had oxidized in the wear areas.  As a Rule Fender did not skip the clear coat step on ALL metallic b/c of the oxidization problem.

Yes there is a big misconception over FP.  The single biggest reason for the misconception is that Tom Wheeler, in his book "The Illustrated History of the American Guitar"  There was a factory picture of a guy dipping a body in a large vat of yellow dye, and his caption stated something like "Fender employee dipping a guitar in a vat of Yellow Fullerplast".  If you have ever worked w/ the stuff you know how impossible that is and what a MESS that would make.

What Lay's  "Paint Stick" problem looks like to me is they have a wood paddle that is perfectly shaped to the pocket.  You are correct on how it should look, it also is often askew in the pocket.  I have bunch of pictures of how one should look if you care to see.  Actually I should be receiving a 100% original 1964 Burgundy Mist Jag in the mail today or tomorrow to document  for insurance and clean up...  Maybe I will post some pictures for that

---

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:06 pm

I have bunch of pictures of how one should look if you care to see.  Actually I should be receiving a 100% original 1964 Burgundy Mist Jag in the mail today or tomorrow to document  for insurance and clean up...  Maybe I will post some pictures for that

That would be GREAT, thanks!

Q. Are we not men?

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:26 pm

fullerplast wrote:

I second that  :) :) :)

Justin
The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:37 am

i love sharin foo wrote:
fullerplast wrote:

I second that  :) :) :)

Justin
I'll third that!!!!!!  8)
Resident Spartan.

Marc
Expat
Expat

Post by Marc » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:14 am

here's my LPB paintstick mark thrillseekers....

Yes the cat has opposing thumbs and extra digits.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:35 am

Yeah, I like the way the shadow often ends before the end of the neck pocket. Like Curtis said, it looks like Lay's uses something thicker and rounded to fit the corner of the pocket... not very realistic.
Q. Are we not men?

CurtisNovak
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CurtisNovak » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:26 pm

Here is a picture of the paint stick from a BM Jag...
[

---