Jaguar Body

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Jaguar Body

Post by JazzBlaster » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:40 pm

I been thinking of remodeling my jaguar, I am thinking warmoth body 3 lace sensors burgandy/gold/light blue.

my inspiration

my favorite color F22 royal blue

I am trying to talk a friend of mine who is good at paining cars to help me out with this one. I think it'd be cool to have a Jag with cool paint and modern pickups. I am hoping to pull this together.
It's not about the gear! It's about you, your hands, your imagination, your feelings.

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jaguar Body

Post by JazzBlaster » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:04 pm

well, I emailed warmoth thier reply was as sutch
As I understand it, yes, your chrome parts should fit fine.  Unfortunately, no, there isn’t enough room to make a Jaguar with three single coils.  Sorry about that.
I really cant see any logical reason that 3 pickups wouldn't fit, and I have seen it done before

On a brighter note my friend is really into the idea of painting a guitar. I am not sure that this particular project would be worth the effort. It seems building a sparkle jazzmaster would be mutch easier beeing as I have about half of the parts already. I am not as into the jags sound so I am wondering if I should do a jazzmaster instead.... decisions

more to come
It's not about the gear! It's about you, your hands, your imagination, your feelings.

jetset
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jetset » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:29 pm

If you are starting from scratch, do what I did with my project: http://www.thejennifers.com/jag/jag3.html and use a JM body blank - plenty of room there.

But I don't see any reason you couldn't fit three pickups on a standard Jag body blank - just compress the strat PU spacing by a factor of .94136% (610 mm vs 648 mm scale lengths)

-J
I can't hear the forest for all the falling trees.

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:05 pm

that's really cool, I was wondering how you did that! I am still considering my options at this point. thanks for the advice.

David

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:26 pm

the "shaguar" body is exactly what I needed!

USACG!
Last edited by JazzBlaster on Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Angel221
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Angel221 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:33 am

Check Mel Waldorfs Jag and Jazzmaster site out . He shows you how to do it. He has done this mod to the Jazz and the Jag.
http://www.jagandjazz.com/jagandjazz/jmaster.html
Life on a Cool Curve

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:02 am

I am already well into creating exactly (albeit a different colour) what Jeset has done.

I also had a long extensive discussion with US CUSTOM GUITARS who said although they would love to do a long scale Jaguar, they are not set up for it and just suggested using the jaguar body (normal short scale with the swimming pool route for the 3 pups)

I went with David's well proven path and have got a jazzmaster body routed for 3 pups and I'll do the jaguar routes (upper and lower bouts and control route) myself using a dremell.

If you like what you have seen in David's project:  http://www.thejennifers.com/jag/jag3.html , the Pickguardinian still has the template to manufacture the exact same guard which in turn will fit the Jazzmaster body routed for 3 pups.
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:01 am

After talking to my friend about the paint I am really excited to do this. If I used 3 pickups like that I would have to save up for the pickups and pickguard. Being that I am working with an existing Jag I think I am just going to keep the stock pickup config seeing as it's all there. I am still going to get the body from usacg being that the finish on my jag is so thick and I want alder wood. I can fit all the hardware once I get the body and order a set of pups from Curt Novak while we do the paint work. I am going to redo the wiring in cloth wire (which I need to find a good source for) and I need a new headstock decal. I am hoping this goes well and I can build up a jazzmaster afterwards in the same blue sparkle.