Soon to be source for Bass VI Pickguards that fit!

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
thewizardofaz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Soon to be source for Bass VI Pickguards that fit!

Post by thewizardofaz » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:31 pm

Thanks to Scottme, I'm gonna have a spot on spec VI pickguard soon. Scott sent me a pdf file with good measurements all around that I'm going to use to make the second generation VI pup routes on a USACG body, instead of the gen 1 Strat routing that he has now. Tony Dudzik, at Pickguardian out in California, compared it to a tracing of an original, which was shrunken up a bit, and he says it's damn near exact, just a tad larger due to the originals being shrunken. Very cool! The plan is coming together. Got my original control plates, now I just gotta get a bridge and I got a line on one of those suckers too...the wide original size ones! Hoo ya!
Rick
"Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can’t help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs."

CurtisNovak
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Soon to be source for Bass VI Pickguards that fit!

Post by CurtisNovak » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:25 pm

If it helps at all I have a pickguard template from this Bass I made.  the pickup routes are not right b/c I used Jazzmaster pickups and had a cut out for a 3 switch plate, but the outside and bridge posts are correct.  It was custom made by the Pickguardian.
I can shoot you over a copy of the outside shape for a few bucks to cover my material and time.

let me know

Gonads are useful for their purpose, but are NO substitute for brains.

---

[url=http://www.myspace.com/curtisnovak]www.myspace.com/curtisnovak

thewizardofaz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thewizardofaz » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:58 pm

Thanks Curtis..got it covered. Pickguardian is already doing it, and he's going to send me a clear piece of plastic cut to the same shape to use as a template! 

BTW, If you haven't notice,my avatar is a Sherwood Green Jazzmaster. I finished up the buff out a couple of days ago. Dang chromabase metallic is sooo unforgiving! If the finish has anything, and I mean anything not right, it finds it and it shows.

Rick
Rick
"Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can’t help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs."

Stereordinary
Expat
Expat

Post by Stereordinary » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:49 pm

Are you friends with the guy from Pickguardian?  I mean, it doesn't seem very business-man-like to give you your own template to make your own guards from.  It could potentially take away some of his own profits, right?  ???
Rhoney Guitars, 2010-2017, 2024

scottme
Expat
Expat

Post by scottme » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:38 pm

No probs. Looking forward to seeing the results!

thewizardofaz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thewizardofaz » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:55 pm

Am I missing something?
Rick

thewizardofaz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thewizardofaz » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:19 pm

Oh..I forgot. It's made of nitrocellulose..like the originals... parchment. Should work fine with most anything, if I ever decide on a color. I'm almost leaning to Fiesta..but my mind changes so often..It's gonna be either Seafoam, Daphne or Fiesta...for sure. Anyway..did I miss something on the pg?? I just sent it to have it made...no worries. He doesn't know where it came from. He's also sending me a clear sheet of plastic I can use as a template for routing, instead of the pickguard itself. :)

rick
Rick

thewizardofaz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thewizardofaz » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:56 am

The pickguard came today and it is perfect, near as I can tell. The 4 switch plate and the lower control plate I scored on eBay both fit perfectly. Plus Mr. Dudzik made me a pup routing template from clear acrylic. I lined the bridge holes up on my Sherwood JM, since the VI uses the same bridge as a JM,  and they fit perfectly too. Piece by piece...it's gonna happen.
Rick

bassVIst
Expat
Expat

Post by bassVIst » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:48 am

Tony copied my NOS late 60's-early 70's pickguard years ago
(which i've since sold)

it wasn't nitro
so it had not shrunk...
but it did have a bit of a warp to it...
i'm sure he had it nice and flat when he made his template

he made 1 guard out of WD Tort that i had on my '63 for a while...

then about one year ago, i had him make a parchment nitro guard for my '63
it went on with very little difficulty...

both times the bridge post holes don't line up as well as i'd like
but that is all

i fully intend on using the WD tort guard to make a 4switch rout on a USA CG body someday
if they don't get around to making it right first...

scottme
Expat
Expat

Post by scottme » Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:33 pm

I'm glad to hear that it's spot on.

thewizardofaz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thewizardofaz » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:17 pm

Me too. You Sir, are the man. Thanks again for your help.
Rick

CurtisNovak
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CurtisNovak » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:46 pm

Yeah that is actually what I love about ChromaBase.  Its pigment content is SO High that it only takes 2 to 3 light passes to get an opaque solid color coat.  This is very important for vintage finishes b/c the easiest tell on a vintage refinish is that the finish looks like a bowling ball.  W/ ChromaBase you REALLY need to have your surface preped.

thewizardofaz wrote: Thanks Curtis..got it covered. Pickguardian is already doing it, and he's going to send me a clear piece of plastic cut to the same shape to use as a template! 

BTW, If you haven't notice,my avatar is a Sherwood Green Jazzmaster. I finished up the buff out a couple of days ago. Dang chromabase metallic is sooo unforgiving! If the finish has anything, and I mean anything not right, it finds it and it shows.

Rick
Gonads are useful for their purpose, but are NO substitute for brains.

---

[url=http://www.myspace.com/curtisnovak]www.myspace.com/curtisnovak

thewizardofaz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thewizardofaz » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:42 pm

Well, Curtis I will say your information on the Fender colors and chromabase has been right on from the git-go. Do you use the chromabase thinner, or what ever they call it or lacquer thinner? 18 bucks a can for that, 41 bucks a little can for the Sherwood. But it's soooo worth it. Damn that's a gorgeous color. In the evening it looks like emerald licquid. I've almost got it done. I screwed up on the peghead and tried to use a mylar decal and it was just too thick and getting it off just messed up the peghead, so I'm prepping it again and then I'll shoot the sherwood.
Oh..and there's another thread around here. I got kinda called to task for calling Daphne blue daphne blue. The young fella got a CS Fender they told him was Daphne and it looks almost like surf green...that pale. Then his other guitar he says is sonic is way darker than sonic. It's just like my own Daphne, so I just have to shrug. I notice even on your site, that the color blocks and the actual guitar painted with the color are often totally different and I have wondered why. I know the lighting has something to do with it, but I think maybe the base coat color has something to do with it too. I know seafoam over sunburst looks way different than seafoam over white primer. What're your thoughts on that topic?
Rick

thewizardofaz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thewizardofaz » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:56 pm

Oh..and you reminded me of another factor, the color of the "clear" of the clearcoat.
Rick

thewizardofaz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thewizardofaz » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:40 pm

Another Kudo for Tony Dudzik at Pickguardian. He made me a routing template for a bass VI.

http://www.wizardsofaz.com/gecko/bassvibuild.html
Rick