Mustang template version 1 (UPDATED TEMPLATE)

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
nickolabulous
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Mustang template version 1 (UPDATED TEMPLATE)

Post by nickolabulous » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:15 am

Hi Guys,

So I have started making this template using the duosonic as a starting point as suggested by stereosonic with alterations to make it more like a mustang , it is made full scale, I have included the routes ( not so sure of the accuracy) and yes the lower horn is slightly messy needs to be a smoother curve My bad.
If anyone would like to have a look at it and check it out, see how accurate it is maybe make some changes so we end up with a good full scale version of a mustang for fellow forum peeps to use, would be most awesome.

here is the pdf:
http://www.hotrodandcustoms.com/webpics ... dyver1.pdf
Last edited by nickolabulous on Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stereordinary
Expat
Expat

Re: Mustang template version 1

Post by Stereordinary » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:06 am

That looks god man! I think you might have got even farther along than I have with mine. :)

Andrew is gonna be stoked.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Mustang template version 1

Post by BoringPostcards » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:09 am

full scale stang!!!!!!!!

holy .
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

nickolabulous
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Mustang template version 1(.2) UPDATE

Post by nickolabulous » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:59 am

Hey guys so i have a 64 mustang neck and i used that along with a neck plate and a pickup cover for some correct dimensions, I have changed the lower horn and the upper horn ( giggle - horn ) the screw holes for the neck bolts are now in the correct position and the neck rout should be the right size. the pickup routs are close but i'm not sure if they are spot on, can anyone print some of this off, and check how accurate it is, i have a 1 cm square marker for reference. help would be much appreciated.

Related info:
Judging from my 64 neck where the paint line ends the neck pockets depth is 15mm's ( please correct me if im wrong)
Pick up rout and bridge routs im not sure of anyone?

Anyone know vintage correct body thickness?
Ive read some info that says they are 1 1/2" ( 38.1mm ) Warmoth Mustang bodies are a 1 1/2" thick (38.1mm),
I also read that vintage bodies are 1 3/8" (35mm)

Here is the new version of the template:
http://www.hotrodandcustoms.com/webpics ... dyver2.pdf

CROSS_guitars
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Mustang template version 1 (UPDATED TEMPLATE)

Post by CROSS_guitars » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:34 am

Wow. Thanks. this may come in handy some day. It would be really cool if you could figure out the body contours.

nickolabulous
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nickolabulous » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:00 am

CROSS_guitars wrote:Wow. Thanks. this may come in handy some day. It would be really cool if you could figure out the body contours.
No probs, once im am sure the template is accurate i will include them for you man, keep checking back i'm thinking of doing a neck template if any one requests it althought the 64 stang neck i have is the 22" scale version super short scale guess i could just do the headstock.

andrewdoeshair
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andrewdoeshair » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:34 pm

This is the best thing ever.

Anyone know where I can go to have this printed on a fat sheet of paper? Kinko's? Staples? Do they do that?

Now I have a project for tomorrow!
If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

jamrine
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jamrine » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:46 pm

Kinkos'll do it. Bring your tape measure to make sure the scale is right while you are at the store.

andrewdoeshair
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andrewdoeshair » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:52 am

I printed the image at Staples. Made 3 copies of it after the dood there got the scale right. I forgot to bring my calipers to check the size, and they didn't have a metric ruler around, so I measured the neck pocket width, and got the size right on the third print. The guy working there was a reeree. The first print was way small, and when I asked if he could do it bigger he said "this is the biggest printer we have." and he couldn't understand that the paper was plenty big, and the image needed to be larger.

I used spray adhesive to put the images on 1/2" MDF. Then I cut templates for the body and control route, for the pickups (which I modified to two large spaces to accommodate angled humbuckers), and one for the pickguard.

I haven't made a body with them yet, but have had 2 requests for mustangs w jazzmaster terms, so I should get on it soon... I took pictures of this process, but I'm on my iPhone and can't post links. I also blame the iPhone if any of my posts appear redundant or obscure; it's like typing through a dark tunnel.

Again, THANK YOU for this thread. Feel free to produce drawings like these for any guitar you want :) I think I want to take on a DiPinto Galaxie or a Dearmond Starfire (I think that's what it's called. The wavy body.)
If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

andrewdoeshair
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andrewdoeshair » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:50 pm

I've mentioned on a thread somewhere around here that doing hair is amazing because of the connections I make in the salon... Well today I was telling a client about how I've been building guitars, and how I was trying to tackle a Mustang. He goes "Oh, I have a Fender Mustang. Wanna borrow it?" and I'm all like "Well, it would only help if I could take it apart and get at it with some calipers..." and he goes "Dood, if I trust anyone to tear it apart and put it back together, it's you." and as soon as his haircut was done he ran home and got it for me.

So now I have THIS in my posession:

To check the accuracy of this:

;D

nickolabulous
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nickolabulous » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:49 pm

andrewdoeshair wrote:I've mentioned on a thread somewhere around here that doing hair is amazing because of the connections I make in the salon... Well today I was telling a client about how I've been building guitars, and how I was trying to tackle a Mustang. He goes "Oh, I have a Fender Mustang. Wanna borrow it?" and I'm all like "Well, it would only help if I could take it apart and get at it with some calipers..." and he goes "Dood, if I trust anyone to tear it apart and put it back together, it's you." and as soon as his haircut was done he ran home and got it for me.

So now I have THIS in my posession:

To check the accuracy of this:

;D

I wish my clients were this awesome, keep me updated on how accurate this template and if you find any errors ( pretty sure you will ) let me know.
Im keen to see your build get under way man.

Stereordinary
Expat
Expat

Post by Stereordinary » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:26 pm

Right on!

andrewdoeshair
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andrewdoeshair » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:13 am

Alright, so It turns out the images I had printed were slightly large. But I made tracings and etchings (and a full set of templates) from this body, and plan to try to print your image again to the right scale (if I find a worker at Staples who isn't 'tarded) and check it all out as good as I can.

I'm feeling good about these templates (except the tummy contour line I squiggled on it after I tried to keep getting stuff done past the "Dang, I'm too tired" mark). I set up the main body template with the bridge/trem placed for a 25.5" neck (based on a Jazzmaster pickguard) and for a pair of humbuckers. I'll set up a pickguard template for humbuckers when I cross that bridge...

Sorry, not trying to jack this thread with my template adventure... I'll try to get the image printed again tomorrow and check it against the body asap.

nickolabulous
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nickolabulous » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:25 am

Looking good man Hijacking welcome, excited to see how close body wise these have turned out, I'm suprised the printer people are not able to print it without scaling.
The pdf i made should be the correct size already.

RaDana
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RaDana » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:52 am

nickolabulous wrote:Looking good man Hijacking welcome, excited to see how close body wise these have turned out, I'm suprised the printer people are not able to print it without scaling.
The pdf i made should be the correct size already.
Whenever I'm printing it out it comes out tiny on one sheet of 8x11in paper. Do I need to magnify it to a certain amount and print in "current view" or do something else in properties or something like that? Anyone else getting this? :wacko: