Bass VI cavities depth?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
thewizardofaz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Bass VI cavities depth?

Post by thewizardofaz » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:34 pm

If anyone has their six open, could you take measurements as the depth of all the cavities: pup routes and associated wiring channel, main cavity and switch cavity. I'm getting a template for routing soon and the body should be here soon too. Thanks very much!
Rick
"Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can’t help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs."

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Re: Bass VI cavities depth?

Post by sookwinder » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:43 am

My VI is "not open", so i can't give you any depths.... but AFAIK or understand it should be the same as that for a Jaguar.

The VI and Jaguar are effectively the same, except one has 2 PUPs and the other 3 PUPs.

Components such as the lower PUP switch controller would be identical, as would the main volume/tone controls and if we are talking 2nd gen VI,they used Jaguar pups anyway so all that would be the same depth
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

thewizardofaz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thewizardofaz » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:42 pm

Lol..OK.. Hey everybody...anyone got their Jag open? I need depth measurements. You don't suppose a Jazzmaster is the same? Naw...pups are thinner.
Rick
"Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can’t help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs."

DB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DB » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:47 am

thewizardofaz wrote: If anyone has their six open, could you take measurements as the depth of all the cavities: pup routes and associated wiring channel, main cavity and switch cavity. I'm getting a template for routing soon and the body should be here soon too. Thanks very much!
You're in luck.  My 1995 Japanese reissue is apart for a refin.  Here's the measurements:

Tremelo route:  1 1/4"
Control and switch cavities:  1 1/8"
Pickup/wiring cavities: 1/2"

DB
IV, V, VI, XII...

thewizardofaz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thewizardofaz » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:16 pm

Excellent!! Thank you very much. I should be getting the body shortly. I had a template made, but I forgot to have him cut the vol/tone/jack cavity in the template, so I'm doing that myself. Now I am going to be ready to rock and roll when the body get's here. Here's a link to template shots
http://www.wizardsofaz.com/gecko/bassvibuild.html
Rick