What's on your workbench right now?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Post Reply
User avatar
Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 979
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:55 pm

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by Rgand » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:05 am

Tortoiseshell might look good, Perry. Which one do you have? Some if theirs is dark amber and some is red, not to mention the tiger stripes.

Nice job on the whammy bar, SuperAxe.

User avatar
JakeNelson2002
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:48 pm

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by JakeNelson2002 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:45 pm

Image

User avatar
Perry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 310
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 5:24 am

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by Perry » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:44 am

Rgand wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:05 am
Tortoiseshell might look good, Perry. Which one do you have? Some if theirs is dark amber and some is red, not to mention the tiger stripes.
I have the four-ply tortiseshell material. I hesitate to use it because a sheet is now about 40 bucks. Towards the end of this week, I'll post a photo of the piece I have next to the guitar. That may help me decide.

Perry

User avatar
Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 979
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:55 pm

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by Rgand » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:56 am

I look forward to seeing that. It might be really good.

CROSS_guitars
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2055
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:52 am
Location: Thornbury Melbourne
Contact:

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by CROSS_guitars » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:35 pm

Squier Jaguar HH.

Fiesta red.
I cut the mint pickguard for it today.
It's the real intense mint too, which normally is too much but it works so well here.
Zebra pickups are replaced with White Jagmaster Duncan Design Humbuckers, which are the same really.
I also moved the switch down.

Image

Image

User avatar
Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 8376
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Stuck in the dimension of imagination

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:57 pm

Lovely Jag Cross! I love the color scheme with the concentric pots too!!
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

User avatar
Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 979
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:55 pm

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by Rgand » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:01 am

I really like the fiesta red/mint combination. I can't say I'd have thought of trying it.

Regarding those concentric pots, I tried to find some for guitar application but was only able to find bass ones. I even ordered some 500K ones but they have a detent in the center of the adjustment range on both functions. What are the specs on those and where did you find them?

CROSS_guitars
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2055
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:52 am
Location: Thornbury Melbourne
Contact:

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by CROSS_guitars » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:33 am

Rgand wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:01 am
I really like the fiesta red/mint combination. I can't say I'd have thought of trying it.

Regarding those concentric pots, I tried to find some for guitar application but was only able to find bass ones. I even ordered some 500K ones but they have a detent in the center of the adjustment range on both functions. What are the specs on those and where did you find them?
The pots come stock with the Jaguar HH.
I don't really know much about them apart from that. They would be 500k.

User avatar
Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 979
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:55 pm

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by Rgand » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:45 am

CROSS_guitars wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:33 am
Rgand wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:01 am
I really like the fiesta red/mint combination. I can't say I'd have thought of trying it.

Regarding those concentric pots, I tried to find some for guitar application but was only able to find bass ones. I even ordered some 500K ones but they have a detent in the center of the adjustment range on both functions. What are the specs on those and where did you find them?
The pots come stock with the Jaguar HH.
I don't really know much about them apart from that. They would be 500k.
Thanks. Now I can find some. Much appreciated.

User avatar
Perry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 310
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 5:24 am

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by Perry » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:03 pm

Rgand wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:56 am
I look forward to seeing that. It might be really good.
I went ahead and made a pickguard out of tortiseshell. I'm undecided, and there is still some work to do on it. Any opinions?


Image

I'll try to post a photo on Friday of the pickguard with the hardware on the guitar.
Last edited by Perry on Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 979
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:55 pm

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by Rgand » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:08 pm

Man, that's so close! It needs all the doo-dads to really be able to tell. That's nice tort, for sure.

It almost needs something that isn't glossy. Maybe take a drop scrap of that and shoot satin clear on it to see.

User avatar
nnieman
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:47 am

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by nnieman » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:36 am

Perry wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:03 pm
Rgand wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:56 am
I look forward to seeing that. It might be really good.
I went ahead and made a pickguard out of tortiseshell. I'm undecided, and there is still some work to do on it. Any opinions?


Image

I'll try to post a photo on Friday of the pickguard with the hardware on the guitar.
You that's the one.
For sure.

Nathan

p.s. that looks fantastic!

User avatar
valley_parade
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 4404
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:09 am
Location: The 315
Contact:

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by valley_parade » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:13 pm

JakeNelson2002 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:45 pm
Image
Well this looks promising.

User avatar
chrisrnps
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 604
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:46 pm
Location: Portland, OR
Contact:

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by chrisrnps » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:36 pm

Image

Work in agonizingly slow progress: the Jagmaster-blaster-thinline-something aka “Instrument.” *

* instead of headstock decals I’ve got a vintage Chris-Craft toggle-switch “Instrument” mini-plaque to go where “Fender” would be, and a vintage “thanks for your salesman years or service” “Five Years” Chris-Craft lapel pin to go where the little “Offset Body” decal would go. Because my name is Chris, and unsubtle Bowie reference.

Just have to do a last round of body sanding and then it’s being mailed off for body and matching headstock finishing - I’ve learned the hard way I don’t have the patience to watch paint dry, so it needs to be out of my hands.

Saylor body with a lot of modifications (bridge post holes too small and too close together, upper horn control cavity too shallow, etc., plus wood blocks added and other bits removed to accommodate my “Jag plates on a Jazzmaster body” folly).

I got so stuck on a “must have binding on the f-hole, oh, and I don’t like the existing usual-suspect f-hole shapes anyway” thing that a Warmoth body, Bilt, and several other options went out the window - took me more than one acoustic guitar’s worth of binding mishaps to get the “bending without melting into a helix shape” thing right.

Warmoth neck, stainless frets, roasted maple, ebony, B&B
LSR roller nut
Mastery everything, stainless everything except pickup rings (aluminum) and locking tuners (dunno).
Lollar WRHBs, lo-wind neck.

Paint will be pearl white. Sure, it’ll look like a wedding cake frosted with Prince’s protégées’ lingerie. In the middle of a personal “I’m so goth all guitars must be black” to “all my guitars are white now, but basses can still be black” backlash. So sue me. ;D
'Excellent! A little more practice will make you a regular whale. Now, if I may trouble you to unlace my back and front plates two holes more, I'll try that fascinating bend that you say is so easy. Won't Painted Jaguar be surprised!' ~ Rudyard Kipling

User avatar
Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 979
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:55 pm

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by Rgand » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:11 pm

I like that Jagmaster-blaster-thinline-something. Looks great! Pearl white should be nice.

Post Reply