So I am building a Bass VI sometime between now and.......

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
~*blissedandgone*~
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

So I am building a Bass VI sometime between now and.......

Post by ~*blissedandgone*~ » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:25 pm

I am -seriously- thinking about building a Bass VI from US Customs within the next year or so. Right now, I am researching where I can get parts. I'm not really looking for vintage parts, since I won't be building a vintage instrument, I want more what works and looks good on it. What replacement parts can I use instead? I saw you can use what looks like a Mustang bridge, is that true? I would think so because it has the deep groove in the saddle. Also, were the tuners on the Bass VI different than the regular Klusons? Ever since I started liking the Cure have I wanted a Bass VI (then I only knew it was the cool low-sounding guitar that looks kind of like a Jaguar and a Strat mixed) This is what I am thinking about doing... A Lake Placid Blue with matching headstock and rosewood fretboard (of course), traditional three pickup tortoise shell p/guard with a five-way switch instead of the chrome four-switch control plate. Original chrome bridge, vibrato and control plate. In way of pickups, possibly a SD Hot Rails in the bridge and two great sounding single-coils in the neck and mid position.

So this is my imediate thinking of parts that will pose a problem in finding...

1.) Control Plate
2.) Pickguard with the wanted pickup selector route

Anyone got any suggestions?

I'm very excited to be able to afford to own a Bass VI, so forgive me if this post is completely premature, seeing as how I don't own a single part yet. Well...I have the chrome knobs (I'll keep the black knobs only on my Jag) :P Thanks!!

Tim

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Re: So I am building a Bass VI sometime between now and.......

Post by mezcalhead » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:14 pm

I guess you've seen BassVIst's guide to DIY VIs? It pretty much answers your questions .. standard vintage-style bridge and tuners work fine, Mustang bridges or whatever variant you want to use will also work just fine.

I wouldn't think it would be too much of a problem to get the pickguard made, or even cut your own from a blank.

As you'll see from BassVIst's thread, the control plate may pose you a problem.

Sounds like a cool project .. enjoy!
Last edited by mezcalhead on Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:24 am

wouldnt worry about parts there plenty of a-holes parting originals out on ebay  :'(

dain
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dain » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:55 am

shhh don't talk about those!  i call dibs!
:-* :-*

~*blissedandgone*~
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ~*blissedandgone*~ » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:03 pm

mezcalhead wrote: I guess you've seen BassVIst's guide to DIY VIs? It pretty much answers your questions .. standard vintage-style bridge and tuners work fine, Mustang bridges or whatever variant you want to use will also work just fine.

I wouldn't think it would be too much of a problem to get the pickguard made, or even cut your own from a blank.

As you'll see from BassVIst's thread, the control plate may pose you a problem.

Sounds like a cool project .. enjoy!
I had not read the tutorial. THANKS!! Now to dream and save.

thewizardofaz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thewizardofaz » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:39 pm

I was wondering about those plates and if copies could be made out of mirrored pickguard material. They're not load bearing or anything.
Rick
"Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can’t help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs."

~*blissedandgone*~
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ~*blissedandgone*~ » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:13 pm

thewizardofaz wrote: I was wondering about those plates and if copies could be made out of mirrored pickguard material. They're not load bearing or anything.
That's an interesting idea... What do you mean load bearing?

thewizardofaz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thewizardofaz » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:11 am

Load bearing as in carrying a "load"..ie weight. The switches on the switch plate are not that heavy, nor are the pots and jacks, so mirrored plastic should work. I don't know if you could get it thin enough though, to match the PG
Rick
"Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can’t help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs."

~*blissedandgone*~
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ~*blissedandgone*~ » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:19 pm

thewizardofaz wrote: I was wondering about those plates and if copies could be made out of mirrored pickguard material. They're not load bearing or anything.
Ah...I get you. Yeah, I don't know if you can get it thin enough. The mirror pickguard on my Squire Strat is rather thick.

matthew
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by matthew » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:38 pm

The other option of course is to make the plates from normal pickguard material, but keep them as separate plates rather than have a one piece pickguard so that you can swap the plates out for proper ones if they are ever available, and you can also still easily access the controls if necessary

davelowell
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by davelowell » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:56 am

I had one made for my VI out of brushed aluminium.  It looks good at a distance, but up close you can see the discrepancy with a chromed piece.  Had it made by a company called Sharp Concepts in California.  I think I paid $30 shipped and was given an option on the thickness.  I just supplied a tracing.

thewizardofaz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thewizardofaz » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:10 pm

We have places that will chrome things, including plastic, for you. The type of chrome varies with the material being chromed. If you've got brushed aluminum, that can actually be chrome plated at a local facility that does that. Lots of car and motorcycle owners will have parts chromed. It was very common back a few years ago, when bumpers were steel and chromed, that when they were damaged, they've be removed, straightened and rechromed. When the chrome started peeling off it was common to have done also. A friend of mine had that alu plate with the lines running all directions around it chromed. He used it as the floor for his dune buggy.
Rick

~*blissedandgone*~
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ~*blissedandgone*~ » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:54 pm

interesting ideas guys. Thanks!

I had an idea this morning, why not see if Guitar Center could order the part from Fender? I know it was a Custom Shop instrument, but maybe they could order it.

thewizardofaz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thewizardofaz » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:12 am

Fender won't even talk to you about CS parts. I tried.
Rick

~*blissedandgone*~
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ~*blissedandgone*~ » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:10 pm

thewizardofaz wrote: Fender won't even talk to you about CS parts. I tried.
CRAP!

I have me the feeling I am going to have me a hunt...and I haven't even begun.