Original (and not so original) design template thread

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
07hubbardj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Original (and not so original) design template thread

Post by 07hubbardj » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:27 pm

storyboardist wrote:
07hubbardj wrote:Hey, could somebody who can make templates either post or pm me a Harmony Rebel template for a bolt on strat neck please. I have GAS for this guitar but can't afford one plus I really want a project. I can get a strat neck from anywhere since there's soo many copies. (I've got my eye on a squier strat neck with the CBS jumbo headstock ) much appreciated

Not exactly what you asked for, but here's plans for the Silvertone version. Should be too hard to modify on the fly.

https://sites.google.com/site/guitarpla" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ects=0&d=1
thanks a bunch man. I really appreciate it :D

planningtojazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by planningtojazz » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:46 pm

whatisdust wrote:
SansRegret wrote:Hello all;

I want to build an electric xii copy come spring; I haven't been able to find any plans so I scaled some out from a photo using Inkscape, just thought I'd share. I'm planning on doing more with it (neckthrough and possible thinline); so I'll probably post a more refined version later.

Great job on your Fender XII drawing! Any chance of posting a PDF version of this drawing?
so i printed this out to scale, looks amazing dude. If i get a chance im going to a & b it to a fender xii hopefully this week, ill keep you updated and tell you what i find for measurements. But i layed the bridge down its like exact dude. you're awesome thanks so much!

SansRegret
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SansRegret » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:01 pm

planningtojazz wrote:

so i printed this out to scale, looks amazing dude. If i get a chance im going to a & b it to a fender xii hopefully this week, ill keep you updated and tell you what i find for measurements. But i layed the bridge down its like exact dude. you're awesome thanks so much!
That's great to hear. I haven't actually printed it out myself yet. I plan on building a neckthrough version in the spring (when schools done and I get my income tax return); been working on cad and sketchup, hoping to get a friend to laser cut the control and bridge plate for me; and get the bridge block and string block 3d printed in metal (cause apparently that's possible).
Looking forward to seeing yours, I'll have progress on mine up when there is some.
Thom

"Who poured that pint, Ray Charles?"

hunter_is_a_grump
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by hunter_is_a_grump » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:07 am

SansRegret wrote:
planningtojazz wrote:and get the bridge block and string block 3d printed in metal (cause apparently that's possible)
who? what? where? how much?!

roscbarn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by roscbarn » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:30 am

Probably just milling.

If you have a 3D model of the part, you can load this model in a CAM package to generate the tool paths. Then, to the CNC machine.

SansRegret
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SansRegret » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:39 am

Shapeways does 3D printing in steel, brass, bronze, silver (in addition to plastics). Can even get them with polished, matte, polished gold finishes. So I've been learning sketchup and trying to draw models for the parts. I was going to get them printed in plastic first to double check all the measurements before getting metal ones printed. I've got the string block, bridge block and string tree modeled (below). Was working on a jaguar style knob so I could get some printed in white; but I found a supplier that has them for much cheaper than it would cost to print.
To print, the string block costs $37 in polished steel, 83 in polished brass
Bridge block: 55 in steel, 125 in brass
string tree: 20 in steel, 45 in brass
(I'm not affiliated with shapeways, nor are my models available to get printed right now; just giving you an idea of the costs)

I'll likely make the models publicly available on shapeways after I double-check the plastic models.
Thom

SansRegret
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SansRegret » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:41 am

roscbarn wrote:Probably just milling.

If you have a 3D model of the part, you can load this model in a CAM package to generate the tool paths. Then, to the CNC machine.
Although, this might be a cheaper route. I want gold hardware in my project, so having it come to me with a polished gold finish seemed ideal for my purpose.
Thom

John H
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by John H » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:47 am

Maybe someone can please help me here. I need a template for a new project.

A couple of years back at the NAMM convention this prototype was on display. I dig the form, and I'm planning to do something based on it. I haven't built a bolt-on guitar in years, but it so happens that I have in my possession a beautiful flame maple neck blank that's only suitable for one. So this is my inspiration...

kdanie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kdanie » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:04 am

I don't know of a template but I did this a while ago:

It's not exact but I laid out the neck pocket & bridge locations then drew it free hand then saw/sand to final shape.

You can get an idea of where things are by using frets/bridge/neck pocket to approximate the locations and contours, not too difficult with a little thought and patience.

I'll be reworking/refining my shape in the future.

ken
Life is an adventure, not something to be suffered through. Don't like your life? FIX it!

roscbarn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by roscbarn » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:38 am

Burns Flyte Prototype (Body):

The original ones had an even more recessed neck.

07hubbardj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 07hubbardj » Tue May 13, 2014 2:25 am

Umm, I know it's not an offset and I've already asked for (and received) a design template. But I really really really want a Zemaitis SU501DC so if somebody would be so kind and make me a template for it then I'd love you forever hahaha :D

Perry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Perry » Thu May 15, 2014 2:13 am

Would you make a drawing of the Fernandes Ravelle? I know this isn't a very good photo, but it does seem to be taken from straight on. Thanks in advance. Perry

Portuchacho
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Portuchacho » Sun May 18, 2014 12:58 pm

So I've been working on this lately, it will be my next project. If anyone could help me draw a better template I'd be thankful, my gimp skills are awesome. XD

This is supposed to be a strat neck but the neck sizing is not correct (or maybe the neck pocket isn't placed where it should). I took the 4-2 headstock idea from the Soulmaster epic thread. Hope no one minds. The inner line is supposed to be a carve, a la mosrite or prs, still to be decided as well as pickups and bridge.

________________________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________________________
EDIT :

Finally got a better template. Neck sizing is still not accurate and the ''center line'' is not accurate, therefore the pickups are not as well. Body outline is pretty much workable, some minor flaws here and there but oh well.

Last edited by Portuchacho on Mon May 19, 2014 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roscbarn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by roscbarn » Sun May 18, 2014 7:53 pm

The Fernandes Ravelle for Perry (sorry, just the outline).

I think I can post the Zemaitis tomorrow or on the day after.

Later.

Perry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Perry » Mon May 19, 2014 3:24 am

Thank you! The outline is fine. Exactly what I need.