Thurston Moore JM Brass Conversion Thimbles, Mastery Bridge

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
john999
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Thurston Moore JM Brass Conversion Thimbles, Mastery Bridge

Post by john999 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:10 pm

I have just made up some 7/16" brass bushes to convert forumite Benjamino22's Thurston Moore Jazzmaster from Gotoh Tunomatic bridge, to a Mastery. It requires few tools other than a press drill & a handy pillar drill type vice, and some drills!

First up I noticed both bridges have near identical pillar, or stud spacing. The tunomatic is 2 & 29/32" (73.81mm) between centres & Mustang bridge I have is 73mm. The Mastery will do both happily with the post screw loosened off there is nearly 1 mm "wriggle room". The studs for the TM (tunomatic) are 11.13mm at the top knurled bit & 11.03mm on the smooth lower section, 7/16" (11.11mm) in anyones money. I tried a 7/16" shank down the stud holes and it was a tight fit.
The holes are 28.3mm deep aprox, both sides.
Studs are only 22mm long so a lot of it is sitting in space! Hmmm.
Mastery Bridge posts are machined .004" under 5/16" at .308", (5/16" is .3125").

The plan is to drill some 7/16" machined round Brass Rod using a 5/16" HSS drill bit. This one comes in at .310" on the shank, (not the most accurate way of measuring but the tip came in roughly the same).

Thing is, "How do I accurately drill a 5/16" hole down a 30mm lenght of brass tube, heres a tidy method I picked up from a machinist's Forum, The Reverse Drill Press Drill method. Heres my 10 cents worth on it:

First pick a small drill that can be reversed into your press drill chuck. This DOES NOT WORK with larger sizes than about 5mm or it bites on the flutes & goes off center, badly. It helps if the drill is short enough to leave some of the unflutted plain top, in the chuck to center it.
Check every thing is square.
Lower drill into a machinists type vice, and tighten the vice onto the drill shank. It is now centered, so clamp the vice to drill base.
Now insert the 30mm brass rod section into the drill chuck.
Bring the chuck down to just touching the drill bit poit.
The Mastery Bridge thimble is 18.5mm deep.
Set the drill depth stop to 18mm ish.
Wind the drill up to its highest speed setting.
Bring down the chuck ever so GENTLY on to the drill point. The idea is that the drill will self center on the piece in the chuck, like on a Lathe, and leave a minute center bevel.
Now go to half speed.
Same again, only slightly more presure. To much pressure & the drill will flex, no good at this point.
Now set the drill back to its lowest speed and start pressing down & cutting, a spray of WD 40 helps.
Lift & clear chips frequently, keep going down to 18mm set on depth stop. Heres the finished result.

Now to get this bored out to 5/16 or .3125". First up place the drilled rod in the vice, this one has an accurate vertical V in the rear jaw making this a doddle.
Then very carefully lower the 5/16" HSS drill, by eye, to center it near as you can before switching the drill, then cut a very small bevel.
The chuck will now have centered itself so long as you have been carefull, and not let the drill "Grab" & fling the whole assemble accross the room. Clamp the vice down, and start drilling.

Heres the finished pair getting the face sanded working up to P800, for a nice brushed looked. As it is sat under the bridge it is hardly worth polishing.
Now lets try these in the guitar!
They are tight! Went in about 10mm and stopped, nice.
There is an earth wire in the treble side post hole, this lead me to dreaming this idea up, rather than use a wooden plug. Heres a test fit of the bridge with the post screws loosened.
Looking good, now to press the bushes the full 28mm so they bottom out in the stud holes.

I finally tapped them fully home with a copper drift & hammer over a scrap wood block to prevent damageing the soft brass. The are both 2mm from flush with the body & level roughly with the face of the pickguard. THere is hardly any rock or movement at all they are tighter than the Mastery thimbles, I guess aboy .002-3" clearance. This turned to rock solid when I tightened the allen screw heads to lock the posts. Nice.
Now for a set up, first set the bridge saddles to 7.25" radius, having set top E string to 3/64" at 17th fret & low E at 4/64". Once thats set just lower the middle saddles untill they "Buzz" on the under string radius guage (resting against, & damping the 2 outer strings) & job done, apart from intonation & fine tuning.
Finished set up, this bridge is sitting fairly low, I have had to raise the posts about 1 1/2 turns only to get it up to the right hight, so looking good.
String spacing is spot on.

What lead to the idea was how to to make a spacer for the .374" (9.5mm) Mastery thimble to fit the 7/16" (11.11mm) without drilling out & plugging the thimble holes. The earth wires said something conductive might help- Brass Rod, as it come in 7/16", easily machined and will give a very tight fit, so long as the holes are centered corectly.

This worked a charm, have set the thing up before I did this post and man, is this thing Resonant! The brass rods are cut 30mm BTW, so the whole 28mm or so has been pressed all the way home in the wood, very tight, BUT NO GLUE OR DRILL OUT SO THE WHOLE THING IS REVERSABLE, should Ben want to sell the Guitar with original bridge. (I wouldnt want to be the one who pulls those brass out though, they are tight!) I cut & filed the rods down to 30mm by the way, so they would bottom out in the stud holes & leave 2mm proud, they went in tight the last 10mm or so!

Anyway, I hope Ben will be pleased, it has way more tone & sustain, as usuall with the Mastery Bridge & I hope this will work for anyone without a Lathe, who wants to convert their "Thurston" to Mastery tone & stability. I love the things, so easy to set up as well. :-* 8)
Forgot to add the bleedin' obvious. The "Thurston" string spacing is Gibbo-ish 52mm with the TOM bridge, this take it up to correct USA string spacing of 56mm- 2 3/16". Also there is no "Dead Air" space under the posts, just 12mm, or 1/2" of solid brass rod. Got to give some "Mass" to the equation, like on the Strat Trem steel block Thingy. No expert mind on Strat stuff, but think its the same principle. Think string energy transfer. With such a low break angle over the bridge every little helps methinks. Its amazing how much tone a JM can produce considering but the Mastery bridge seems to transfer more IMHO. Thats my 10 Cents up. :)

Hope this has been of interest.
Last edited by john999 on Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

antisymmetric
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Thurston Moore JM Brass Conversion Thimbles, Mastery Bri

Post by antisymmetric » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:04 pm

That's brilliiant, I love seeing stuff like this! :-* Thanks for posting!
Watching the corners turn corners

LanceLink
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by LanceLink » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:25 pm

Brilliiant and inspirational! My drill press has a slight wobble... not noticable with the eye but enough to affect the finished dims... what you did blows my mind!

benjamino22
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by benjamino22 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:48 am

I'm loving the upgrade, the Thurston has a LOT more sustain, really noticeable. I didn't have issues with strings jumping (I generally play like a particularly gentle kitten) but I did have the Adjustomatic completely bottomed out and would have liked a lower action, this is now achievable. Seems louder acoustically with more vibration in the body too.

John's elegant no-plug/drill solution make this a fully reversible mod too, fantastic work as always! ;D

iswope
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by iswope » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:42 am

This is some pretty impressive work! But... If this is what it takes to put a Mastery on a TM Jazzy I think I'll pass! ;)
Wherever you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Bonzai

john999
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by john999 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:57 pm

iswope wrote:This is some pretty impressive work! But... If this is what it takes to put a Mastery on a TM Jazzy I think I'll pass!
Thanks "Antisymetric" and "LanceLink" for yer appreciation. "iswope". Dont be put off! This is just one way of doing it that occured to me in a rare flash of inspiration. The other, usual way is to drill out that nice stained Alder body with a 1/2" drill bit, plug the thimble/stud holes with 1/2" hard wood dowel, made from a "plug cutter" if you dont own a high grade steel "Doweling Plate", press & glue plugs into holes, cut flush, re-drill to 3/8" for the Mastery thimbles and idealy glue them in! Hmmm.
This is pretty much what I had to do on my homebuilt JM when fitted with a Mastery, as the string spacing was a bit out from the Warmoth bridge I was using. It a lot of messing about & spent ages matching the finish around the thimbles. :fp:

Glad you like it "Benjamino22", thanks for your kind words. Your take was pretty much the same as mine when I first strung it up, I forgot that the Tunomatic was fully lowered & bottoming out. The Mastery is a far more elegant solution than that TOM thingy methinks. ;D

iswope
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by iswope » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:06 pm

Quite true, I'm just lacking in the tools and the skill to pull off what you did here! Definitely impressive, for sure!

On a related note, however, just installed a Mastery on my Jazzy and it's astounding the difference it's made. I absolutely love it. The problem is, though, that now I'll never be able to go back and will have to commit to shelling out the money for one on every other guitar I have. ;)

Cheers!
Wherever you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Bonzai

andrewdoeshair
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andrewdoeshair » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:38 pm

Do you think the same piece would work in a Classic Player Jag? You should sell these. You should sell ME these :whistle:
If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

john999
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by john999 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:37 am

DELETED DUE TO NEW JOB COMMITMENTS, LACK OF TIME ETC.
Last edited by john999 on Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

john999
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by john999 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:55 am

andrewdoeshair wrote:Do you think the same piece would work in a Classic Player Jag? You should sell these. You should sell ME these

Alternatively Andrew, if you could provide a pdf or drawing/template for a Fender STARCASTER/BLASTER I would do you a set for FREE! :) :-* I believe Steriordinary has one, but havent come up with a large enough crowbar yet, to get him to part with it. This is my last feeeble attempt! ;D

john999
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by john999 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:52 pm

john999 wrote:
andrewdoeshair wrote:Do you think the same piece would work in a Classic Player Jag? You should sell these. You should sell ME these

Alternatively Andrew, if you could provide a pdf or drawing/template for a Fender STARCASTER/BLASTER I would do you a set for FREE! I believe Steriordinary has one, but havent come up with a large enough crowbar yet, to get him to part with it. This is my last feeeble attempt!

The silence is deafening! ;)

croatan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by croatan » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:32 pm

give it time, it's only like 1:30pm in CA right now, Andrewdoeshair is probably Andrewdoinghair right now
"To you whose souls are lured by noise to every treacherous abyss, for you do not feel for a rope like cowards, and where you can guess you hate to calculate. And where others would poison, you dismember." -Nietzche/Nation of Ulysses

john999
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by john999 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:48 pm

croatan wrote:give it time, it's only like 1:30pm in CA right now, Andrewdoeshair is probably Andrewdoinghair right now
Thanks, yer right! I have just posted a seperate begging thread for "Starcaster" info. Going to be a tough one methinks as nothing out there on the web. :bored:

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ludobag1 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:08 pm

you reinvented the turning machine :D
as always i am impressed by your work ;)

john999
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by john999 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:02 pm

Hi Folks. I have had to edit this post as well as will no longer be able to devote any time to making up these bushes, as previously suggested, due to starting full time job next month.
Unfortunately this means I will have no time for any more builds or private work for a while

Thanks for the interest in this post & kind intelligent replies. I was hoping it would be of use to somebody out there!

Cheers, John.
Last edited by john999 on Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.