New pick ups for my SG

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
BenHagerty

New pick ups for my SG

Post by BenHagerty » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:00 pm

I have an epiphone SG and put nice pick ups in it  8)

I love them but it doesn't sound as loud as the old ones. I had no idea how to put em in or what I was doing. I think they are sitting too low maybe?

glimmertwin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New pick ups for my SG

Post by glimmertwin » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:30 pm

BenHagerty wrote: I have an epiphone SG and put nice pick ups in it  8)

I love them but it doesn't sound as loud as the old ones. I had no idea how to put em in or what I was doing. I think they are sitting too low maybe?
I strongly discourage against putting the pickups higher to get volume.  Some pickups are hotter than others.  If you raise the pickups, yes you will get a hotter sound - but at the expense of definition & clarity.  My pet peeve is when I walk into most music stores and they always set up the humbucker instruments with the pickups way too high so they sound more rocking at first glance.  Do yourself a favor and set them where they are suppose to be according to the pickup maker's instructions.  If it isn't gainey enough for you, get a hotter pickup but you don't have to sacrifice the notes you are playing to rock out.  If you need 'em, I have some generic setting recommended by dan erlewine for humbuckers...I can dig it out of whatever book I saw that in.  Good luck! 
"I enjoy the current state of offsetguitars hostility."

BenHagerty

Post by BenHagerty » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:34 pm

Well, I didn't get them to be louder, they just are substantially not as loud

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:25 pm

BenHagerty wrote: Well, I didn't get them to be louder, they just are substantially not as loud
What did you put in exactly?  and are they 4-conductor or 2?  The stock Epi pickups are hot ceramic pickups, very loud.  Once I know what you put in, I can help you more.

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:42 pm

humbuckers if they are wired in series or paralel makes a huge difference.

David
It's not about the gear! It's about you, your hands, your imagination, your feelings.

kuel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kuel » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:15 am

perhaps your new pickups weren't wound as hot as the old ones / lower ohm rating?

callum
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by callum » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:01 am

glimmertwin wrote: I strongly discourage against putting the pickups higher.
+1

because the magnet (of the pickup) is closer to the strings it tends to dampen them somewhat more.

not a good plan! :D

i would imagine your new pickups have less output, since if it was a wiring problem you'd probably be getting no sound at all...