Re: Weird mods

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:05 am

Spiffy Chap, are you banging your head against the wall yet?  ;)

Anyway, my '69/'70 had a lot of mods done when I got it, but I had most of therm reversed, so that doesn't help much with your query. If you're interested in how it was, here's the thread: index.php?topic=986.0
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man's a freak.

Stereordinary
Expat
Expat

Post by Stereordinary » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:21 am

And my '62 Jazzmaster has almost all of the electronics gutted, except the pickups, three-way switch, and currently one volume knob.  I do somewhat regret having added braided wire to the pickups, but they are dead-quiet and this was never to be my 100% stock vintage Jazzmaster, because it had already been through so much.
Rhoney Guitars, 2010-2017, 2024

k o y l
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by k o y l » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:32 pm

My mod is not watchable (he's taking a shower right now..  :-[)

I modified the wiring in order to use the rhythm circuit with any pickup combinations (like you can with the lead circuit) so I can have.
Bridge position w. lead circuit
Middle position w. lead circuit
Neck position w. lead circuit
Bridge position w. rythm circuit
Middle position w. rythm circuit

Neck position w. rythm circuit

It's not spectacular but very useful.

But wait a month or two and I'll be able to give you really weird mods: a Jazzblaster with a rusted pickguard, 2 piezo transducers to amplify the noises produced by the guitar hardware, a built-in 25dB boost and a crazy guy playing it..  :D
Once you're lost in twilights's blue, you don't find your way. The way finds you...

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:54 pm

I saw this at a guitar show...

It was like a Tune-o-matic with sort of a stop tailpiece buzz stop? :k :k :k :k

Here's a Jazzmaster neck on a $trat...What a waste of a JM neck! :D
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

dain
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dain » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:00 am

i'm sure everybody's seen these but here's my monstrosity on the right of the pic. 

64' refin jag with no plates, (someday i'll find a good repro tortoiseshell!)
5 way switch (which is kinda bugging me, may change at some point)
piezo pickup underneath the bridge  (koyl if you want a bass drum sound you tap the body, for hihat you scrape the height adjustment screws with a pick!)
"infinite sustain" pickup in the neck and a seymour duncan in the bridge
extra knob close to pickup functions as a drive control for the sustainer and has a push/pull setting for the harmonic mode of the sustainer
the three switch plate now houses the 9volt battery for the sustainer
had an old rusty mustang bridge when i got it but i changed to an old jag bridge because someone (not me i promise) seems to have slimmed the neck a bit (compared to my 1963) and the strings sit really close together on the neck.

i remember a very tense moment when i called my buddy (an old school offset head) and said "i have a 1964 jaguar in one hand and a router in the other... WHAT DO I DO???!"  he very calmly told me to do what i had to do "its just a tool man..."

after living with the guitar for almost a year, i will admit that he was right.  its definetly gotten more use than my stock guitars.  the original reasoning behind the mods was i got a job doing heavy nu-metal stuff for a music library and i needed a highgain heavy metal guitar.  i looked forever but couldn't bring myself to spend money on some pointy headstock monster that i would only play in the confines of the studio.  so i bit the bullet, bought a jag that had already been routed for a humbucker and went to town.  while she may be a mutant that only a mother could love, she has to be one of the only 60s jaguars that you can do heavy metal tapping on.  also the combination of humbucker and piezo pickup has to be heard to be believed!

Superfuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Superfuzz » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:05 am

dain wrote: i'm sure everybody's seen these but here's my monstrosity on the right of the pic. 

piezo pickup underneath the bridge  (koyl if you want a bass drum sound you tap the body, for hihat you scrape the height adjustment screws with a pick!)
extra knob close to pickup functions as a drive control for the sustainer and has a push/pull setting for the harmonic mode of the sustainer
had an old rusty mustang bridge when i got it but i changed to an old jag bridge because someone (not me i promise) seems to have slimmed the neck a bit (compared to my 1963) and the strings sit really close together on the neck.

i remember a very tense moment when i called my buddy (an old school offset head) and said "i have a 1964 jaguar in one hand and a router in the other... WHAT DO I DO???!"  he very calmly told me to do what i had to do "its just a tool man..."

after living with the guitar for almost a year, i will admit that he was right.  its definetly gotten more use than my stock guitars.  the original reasoning behind the mods was i got a job doing heavy nu-metal stuff for a music library and i needed a highgain heavy metal guitar.  i looked forever but couldn't bring myself to spend money on some pointy headstock monster that i would only play in the confines of the studio.  so i bit the bullet, bought a jag that had already been routed for a humbucker and went to town.  while she may be a mutant that only a mother could love, she has to be one of the only 60s jaguars that you can do heavy metal tapping on.  also the combination of humbucker and piezo pickup has to be heard to be believed!
you make me want some samples!!
Architecture students are like virgins with an itch they cannot scratch,  never build a building 'till are fifty, what kind of life is that?

eupat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eupat » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:37 am

Superfuzz wrote:
dain wrote: i'm sure everybody's seen these but here's my monstrosity on the right of the pic. 

you make me want some samples!!
agreed !!
si t'as mal aux cervicales, arrête le métal!

dain
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dain » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:52 am

whats the best way to post mp3s?  i've never even tried that stuff...

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:55 am

You could open a (free) accound at soundclick.com, upload your tracks and then post links to those. E.g. my shit.
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man's a freak.

k o y l
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by k o y l » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:01 am

Or put them in a zip file and upload it here: http://www.megaupload.com/ (no registration required)
Once you're lost in twilights's blue, you don't find your way. The way finds you...

berlinbetty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by berlinbetty » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:41 am

Orang Goreng wrote: You could open a (free) accound at soundclick.com, upload your tracks and then post links to those. E.g. my shit.
  Sorry to go off topic, but I think "shin ei fuzz demo" is my new favorite song!  I've always wanted to do what you're doing, Orang, just record myself on different tracks and put it all together.  I always thought that would be the perfect venue for me since I'm not good enough to play in a band and I can edit myself...  What software do you use for that?
One more guitar, then I'll practice!

dain
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dain » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:00 pm

so i think i figured that soundclick stuff out...give it a go...

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=741299

glitchy percussion is what koyl was talking about (i.e. tapping the body and bridge to get little perc sounds)  that was done with the guitar running into my modular and a jamman for the little repeating thing.  the percussion is all live glitch out baby!

everything else was just guitar running through my little line 6 guitar port thing and then into the computer.

this was a fun morning, but i can't believe people really spend all their time making little gear demos.  it feels kinda silly, hence the robot voice i added explaining the pickup configurations. 

anyway, hope this works for you guys!
d.

k o y l
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by k o y l » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:44 pm

Wow that's some great clips !

the glichty percussion clip is fantastic !  The sound is better than what I get with my piezo (which is kind of mufled).. I can't wait to have my Jazzblaster done !
There an FX in Ableton Live called "Beat Repeat" that sounds very much like what you did with your modular.. that will be a great combination with the piezos.  :)

I'm surprised of how good mixing the piezo with the pickups can gives good sounds.

dain
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dain » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:18 pm

yea mixing it ends up adding some noise in the release of the sound but it makes up for the definition in the actual note.  plus i love switching from a big humbucker sound to the tiny broken banjo sound.  if you play the right stuff it sounds like an old blues recording from the 40s!

qu4ntum
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by qu4ntum » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:52 pm

besides replacing/upgrading all hardware on my cij JM with avri parts, i disconnected the 3 position toggle switch and the rhythm circuit switch.  I used each sideways roller knob as a volume control for each pickup, both going to the main tone/vol controls...

so basicly can blend the pickups any amount ... its works a treat and you can just imagine how many more sounds you can pull from her  8)

oh, and accidently flicking switches while playin live doesnt happin anymore :D