Updated PSVI mods including Conversion Guard, bridge, mute

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
SneakyT
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Updated PSVI mods including Conversion Guard, bridge, mute

Post by SneakyT » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:41 pm

I posted this on my new bass thread but thought I would post it here so it was easy for others to find in the future. As most know most of the new Bass VI models come with a smaller bridge than the original. This usually causes problems with intonating the low E. Some have removed the spring as to be able to get it closer but I found this made it rattle and caused the intonation screw to almost hit the string once the sting height was set. My first thought was to turn the bridge upside down as others have mentioned doing. This worked getting the Low E intonated but now the High e was not able to intonate. So I thought why not approach it from both sides?

It was really easy to do. I just took the bridge off, removed the low E saddle and screw, put it on a drill press with the 7/64 drill bit going through the original hole on the other side and, once it was lined up, drilled the new hole then re-assembled from the other side. It now intonates with room to spare for different gauge strings. I thought about doing the A and D to keep it symmetrical but since these bridges are the same size as a Jaguar bridge I'll probably end up with a bridge cover anyway so I didn't bother. Another nice thing about this bridge size is since it is the same size as the Jag it should work with the Jag mute. Thats on the list of things to add to mine. You could buy another Jag bridge and mod it if you are worried about the warranty on your new bass too.

Hope others find this helpful. Now back to playing my new Bass VI (I've wanted to say that for years).
Last edited by SneakyT on Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
Troy Neagle Luthiery & Custom Pickguards

Please contact me at Reverb
https://reverb.com/shop/neagle-luthier

Rude_Mechanical
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Bass VI Bridge Mod

Post by Rude_Mechanical » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:24 pm

Great work! I love simple fixes like that :)

SalsaDestroyer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SalsaDestroyer » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:09 pm

Yeah, thanks for the post about your fix! Awesome to hear.

andrewdoeshair
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andrewdoeshair » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:52 pm

Genius. I built a baritone jm a few months back and had the same issue, but I never came up with such a clean solution.
If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

SneakyT
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SneakyT » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:50 am

Thanks for the compliments guys. I had hoped this would help some people out.

stilettoace
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stilettoace » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:57 am

I'm building a bass VI right now. Being able to simply pick up a mustang bridge for it makes the trickiest part easy.
Thanks a bunch!

2fLAz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 2fLAz » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:31 am

awesome ! Thanks for sharing your solution !!!

2fLAz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 2fLAz » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:43 am

Just did the sneakyT mod this weekend as I finally jumped onto a buying a PS Bass VI
amazing trick, took 2 mns to do with a dremel. Bass VI now intonates properly (also installed a neck shim).

I will soon go further on modding it (pg and single Jaguar PU in bridge pos / got one sitting here
awaiting for ages to find its place, done !).

Thanks again for you nice solution mate.

SneakyT
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SneakyT » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:58 am

2fLAz wrote:Just did the sneakyT mod this weekend as I finally jumped onto a buying a PS Bass VI
amazing trick, took 2 mns to do with a dremel. Bass VI now intonates properly (also installed a neck shim).

I will soon go further on modding it (pg and single Jaguar PU in bridge pos / got one sitting here
awaiting for ages to find its place, done !).

Thanks again for you nice solution mate.
You bet man. I'm about to do the jag PU with mine (pretty much the whole PG, plates and switches too). I just installed a mute on mine as well. Really digging it.

Joeybreaksstuff
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Joeybreaksstuff » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:44 am

Great solution! I'm going to modify my VI in this way tonight!
-Joey

Joeybreaksstuff
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Joeybreaksstuff » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:51 am

Any chance you have or know of source for control plates? Huort doesn't seem to supply them any more. I used a Jag 3 switch plate for mine but made a control plate out of pickguard material from a tracing and covered it with adhesive foil tape. Looks fine but I'd like a real metal one. If anyone would like me to fashion a plastic one for them to get a build going I'd be happy to do some cheap :)
-Joey

2fLAz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 2fLAz » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:35 am

SneakyT wrote: You bet man. I'm about to do the jag PU with mine (pretty much the whole PG, plates and switches too). I just installed a mute on mine as well. Really digging it.
Oh man, a mute would be just ace !!!! An awesome thing would be if you could document that process (and also let us know where you've found the mute).

I have big doubts with the PS pickguard being same size (apart from bridge pu of course) as std Bass VI... any thoughts on this ?

2fLAz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 2fLAz » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:40 am

Joeybreaksstuff wrote:Any chance you have or know of source for control plates? Huort doesn't seem to supply them any more. I used a Jag 3 switch plate for mine but made a control plate out of pickguard material from a tracing and covered it with adhesive foil tape. Looks fine but I'd like a real metal one. If anyone would like me to fashion a plastic one for them to get a build going I'd be happy to do some cheap
Here maybe ?
http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/pick ... tesjag.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SneakyT
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SneakyT » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:26 pm

2fLAz wrote:
SneakyT wrote: You bet man. I'm about to do the jag PU with mine (pretty much the whole PG, plates and switches too). I just installed a mute on mine as well. Really digging it.
Oh man, a mute would be just ace !!!! An awesome thing would be if you could document that process (and also let us know where you've found the mute).
Got the mute from Angela as they were the only place I found that had the full mute set including plunger and springs and screws.
http://angela.com/fenderusajaguarmuteas ... ngkit.aspx

I didn't take pictures unfortunately but I used this guide more or less.

http://www.shortscale.org/wiki/index.ph ... .27mute.27

I had to find dead center as the pickguard is not routed the same as the Jag or original Bass VI. It should line up with the adjustment screw on the trem. You know the old saying measure twice..... Be very careful when drilling the hole as it is almost all the way through the whole body. I did 34mm not 36mm. I put tape around the bit to make sure I didn't drill through and went slow with a vacuum on. My drill press was not deep enough to use so I did it free hand. I would not recommend this method at all. I cannot stress this enough. It was very difficult to keep centered. If you dont have a press that it will fit on (or a plunge like the one used in the guide) find someone who does. Trust me. My drill had moved by about millimeter before I noticed. The mute works just fine but the drill could have moved a lot more. I lucked out.

I also found this diagram helpful in understanding how the whole mechanism works.
2fLAz wrote:I have big doubts with the PS pickguard being same size (apart from bridge pu of course) as std Bass VI... any thoughts on this ?
I'm about to find out as I'm looking at getting a template set pretty soon. Hopefully it wont be that different as far as pickup placement and switch placement goes. We will see soon how much will need to be done.
Last edited by SneakyT on Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

SneakyT
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SneakyT » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:29 pm

2fLAz wrote:
Joeybreaksstuff wrote:Any chance you have or know of source for control plates? Huort doesn't seem to supply them any more. I used a Jag 3 switch plate for mine but made a control plate out of pickguard material from a tracing and covered it with adhesive foil tape. Looks fine but I'd like a real metal one. If anyone would like me to fashion a plastic one for them to get a build going I'd be happy to do some cheap
Here maybe ?
http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/pick" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... tesjag.htm
I'm probably gonna make mine out of brass and nickel plate them but I may try contacting some vendors to see if they can get the new fender japan ones.