Mustang neck repair.

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Paolo_ray
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Mustang neck repair.

Post by Paolo_ray » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:23 am

I brought this '73 neck on eBay for the bargain price of £50 .... The only thing is the tuner holes have been enlarged and splinters of wood have come off.  Does anyone know the best way to repair this damage?  And also, would fender F-tuners still fit?

By paoloray at 2007-09-25

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Re: Mustang neck repair.

Post by Orang Goreng » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:32 am

My guess (yes, guess, no more than that) would be that because the holes are enlarged, it will actually fit the reissue F-tuners, which are wider than the early originals (so the reissues don't fit the late 60s models). So it may be a blessing in disguise. Do the ferrules/bushings/whatever those things are called still fit? If they sort-of do, I'd be inclined to simply glue them in place...they'll keep the reissue tuners aligned.

Best to wait for a response from someone who actually KNOWS what he's talking about though ;).
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man's a freak.

Paolo_ray
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Paolo_ray » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:00 am

Orang Goreng wrote: My guess (yes, guess, no more than that) would be that because the holes are enlarged, it will actually fit the reissue F-tuners, which are wider than the early originals (so the reissues don't fit the late 60s models). So it may be a blessing in disguise. Do the ferrules/bushings/whatever those things are called still fit? If they sort-of do, I'd be inclined to simply glue them in place...they'll keep the reissue tuners aligned.

Best to wait for a response from someone who actually KNOWS what he's talking about though ;).
;D Well, I brought some Schaller tuners thinking they would  fit the F-tuner screw holes, but they didn't.  The ferrules/bushings (I don't know either!) fit quite nicely though, so I'll be keeping those until I can find some RI F-tuners, hopefully they're the same size.  Even with them in though you can still see a bit of splintering around the edges ....

flatfiver
Expat
Expat

Post by flatfiver » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:18 am

I'm not sure what to tell you about the splinters on the top of the headstock, but as far as the holes go - if you need to get them down in size, glue wood shavings around the insides of the holes until they're built back up to the proper diameter.

You could try drop filling the splinters with some lacquer or super glue.  That neck probably has a poly finish though, so the results might not be great.  If the tops of the bushings cover the damage then I wouldn't worry about it.  I had pretty much the same issues with a Gibson ES-125 and everything is sound, structurally.
Zen & the Art of Jazzmaster Maintenance

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:06 am

Hm... how about just measuring the diameter of the enlarged holes? That should be a good starting point.

I wouldn't really care about the splinters if it were my guitar (they don't seem so bad on the pics), but you could
always fill up with wood paste of a matching color.
Nobody exists on purpose.