Custom metallic colours rumour

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
the older brother
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Custom metallic colours rumour

Post by the older brother » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:15 am

I talked with Luthier GNU today - and he said a quite awful thing. The laquer that you can get the custom colour metallics in (some kind of acrylic) are about to be cancelled (enviromental issues I guess) - and will be replaced with water based laquer. He was worried that the water based laquer didn't work with nitro clearcoat - wich in worst case means - No more nicely aged nitro on top of your CAR/IBM/Inca Silver etc.... This MAY only be relevant in Sweden, but likely whole EU and possibly WW.

As said - this is rumours, and I don't have all info, but if you got some more - please post it!

EDIT: Didn't know where to post this (felt this was the best place), but mods - feel free to move it.

edit: I changed the RoS spelling on "rumour"  ;)
Last edited by the older brother on Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Someone knows where I can find the nearest woodchipper to throw my pieces of junk into?

Mighty Tom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Custom metallic colours rumor

Post by Mighty Tom » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:54 pm

I'm sure here in America we'll continue to shit on the environment.

Green angel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Green angel » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:25 am

Mighty Tom wrote: I'm sure here in America we'll continue to shit on the environment.
:P

thewizardofaz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thewizardofaz » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:26 am

As far as I know, the color coats were never nitro, they were a thin acrylic or poly finish from Dupont or Lucite. Curtis Novak can tell you which. He'll even send you sticks with each color you can take to your paint dealer to match.  Only the clear was nitro. I use Dupont Chromabase, which is quite compatible with nitro top coats. I have used Sherwood Green, Thunderbird Bronze, Sapphire Blue and for my jag am using Atomic Orange, which is a current Corvette color.
Rick
"Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can’t help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs."

the older brother
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by the older brother » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:53 am

thewizardofaz wrote: As far as I know, the color coats were never nitro, they were a thin acrylic or poly finish from Dupont or Lucite.
I think I said that in the first post.....
the older brother wrote: The laquer that you can get the custom colour metallics in (some kind of acrylic) are about to be cancelled (enviromental issues I guess)
and later...
the older brother wrote: He was worried that the water based laquer didn't work with nitro clearcoat
;)

BTW there was/is nitro colours - I've just refin a JM in Nitro Olympic white..... It's the metallics that weren't nitro.

:)
Someone knows where I can find the nearest woodchipper to throw my pieces of junk into?

Stereordinary
Expat
Expat

Post by Stereordinary » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:24 am

thewizardofaz wrote:I use Dupont Chromabase...
I you don't mind telling, where do you get it from and how much per quart?
Rhoney Guitars, 2010-2017, 2024

Jjango
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Jjango » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:39 pm

thewizardofaz wrote:As far as I know, the color coats were never nitro, they were a thin acrylic or poly finish from Dupont or Lucite.
I've heard conflicting versions of this.

For example, http://www.provide.net/~cfh/fenderc.html says:
Here are all the custom colors, their original paint type (remember, Duco is nitrocellulose, Lucite is acrylic), the years Fender used them, and what cars they originated.

Jazzprod
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jazzprod » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:50 am

the older brother wrote: I talked with Luthier GNU today - and he said a quite awful thing. The laquer that you can get the custom colour metallics in (some kind of acrylic) are about to be cancelled (enviromental issues I guess) - and will be replaced with water based laquer. He was worried that the water based laquer didn't work with nitro clearcoat - wich in worst case means - No more nicely aged nitro on top of your CAR/IBM/Inca Silver etc.... This MAY only be relevant in Sweden, but likely whole EU and possibly WW.

As said - this is rumors, and I don't have all info, but if you got some more - please post it!

EDIT: Didn't know where to post this (felt this was the best place), but mods - feel free to move it.
I've just encounter this first hand:
I called a company about some old colours (blue ice and firemist silver).

They said that they're in a transition fase right now, going from acrylic laquer to solvent free water based paint.  :o
And regarding 50's - 60's - 70's colours, they are going to be hard to get and will only be manufactured(?) on dispense. ( I looked that word up but am not sure you know what I mean)  :-\

:'(
......below the apes above the angels.....

vancouverois
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by vancouverois » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:42 pm

Jazzprod wrote:
They said that they're in a transition fase right now, going from acrylic laquer to solvent free water based paint.  :o
Does it mean it is going to apply to all the lacquers, I mean all the colors?
So may be would it be time to buy some in advance.
One day I saw an article on the web, it said that you could still find old style nitro in Romania.
I am not sure if it is still the case as Romania is part of EU now, so European laws apply.

Stratelejazzuar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Stratelejazzuar » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:59 pm

vancouverois wrote:
Jazzprod wrote:
Does it mean it is going to apply to all the lacquers, I mean all the colors?
So may be would it be time to buy some in advance.
One day I saw an article on the web, it said that you could still find old style nitro in Romania.
I am not sure if it is still the case as Romania is part of EU now, so European laws apply.
if i was still with my romanian ex-girlfriend, maybe i'd be able to get som esolid answers on this, but that ended 5 years ago, lol. where was this thread back then, huh? where?!! ;)

when i went there with her in 2002, tho, it didn't look like they were a society that was fully into the law. i got a joyride in a police van with a few cops and my GFs cousin, lol...

i think a type of paint wouldn't be the first thing the feds are going to dispose of, lol. but you never know - i saw a documentary on how young homeless kids were sniffing paint to get high...

so sad to see all that nitro paint go to waste....  :'(

Stratelejazzuar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Stratelejazzuar » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:00 pm

oh, and it was sad about the kids, too.  :-[

8)

the older brother
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by the older brother » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:29 pm

Once again:

It is the Metallic colours that is acrylic (Lucide colours in Fender charts) that will be discontinued (or changed to waterbased) NOT - I repeat - NOT the Nitro laquer - at least that's what my luthier said.

...and as this seem to have just happened to Jazzprod - it's definitely true in Sweden and most likely in EU.

One can only hope the water based stuff's gonna work with nitro clearcoat.....

vancouverois
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by vancouverois » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:53 pm

I found an automotive paint store on the web, not sure if it is still available.
http://www.paintforcars.com/acrylic_lacquer_paint.html

I was wondering if a body repair shop can still have some acrylic metallic colors althought I've heard they mostly use water based paint nowadays.
I remember years ago it was the brand "Corona" and their acrylic paint was named "Duracryl".
It was possible to have all the car manufacturers colors including metallic.
Corona became PPG, at least in Europe not sure about North America.

+1 for the Romanian girlfriend  8) I've been there in 2003 and I agree about the laws  ;D

thewizardofaz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Custom metallic colours rumour

Post by thewizardofaz » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:01 pm

Sorry about the misinfo on the original color coats. Yes, some color coats were lacquer. I don't know why I said that, because I know better. The Dupont Chromabase is available in most auto finish stores. The one I use is FinishMaster and it's on the west coast primarily. They can mix any Fender color. The Chromabase is actually a urethane. It covers very well, goes on thin. That thin finish is good, but unless you mix the CB with regular thinner instead of the Dupont reducer, you have to clear coat it with lacquer within 24 hours.  The provide.net link someone provided has all the info on that. If you use CB, you have to make sure the base is perfect, because the CB is so thin, every little indentation, low spot, what have you, will show. I just finished a Bass VI using Chromabase in Thunderbird Bronze, a Ford TBird color from the 50s. It's metallic. Here's a linkhttp://www.wizardsofaz.com/gecko/bassvi.html
Rick
"Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can’t help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs."

thom_the_trickster
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Custom metallic colours rumour

Post by thom_the_trickster » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:46 am

hey.  just my two cents.  I live in canada and work as a trade painter.  the last few months our management has been running information seminars with the local paint manufacturing and distributing representatives.  what ive learned from this is that countries like Canada, U.S. and the EU  etc will be taking part in programs which will see 'solvents' removed from all paints.  how this applys to myself in a professional setting goes like this, no more oil paint, no more nasty epoxys etc... what this means to the general public.. no more oil/solvent based paints.  Paint manufacturers are struggling to re-invent their products so that they meet these restrictions.  The only way these restrictions can be bypassed is if the work being done (with these banned products) is being done in a 'shop' setting.  Like a proffesional car painter, or electronics manucturing etc.. not bob in the basement with his aeresol from reranch... google leeds, or eco-paint or califronia environmental laws..

steve.