For the JagMaster users..

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Superfuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

For the JagMaster users..

Post by Superfuzz » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:05 am

I was wondering about a JM styled guitar just for experimenting some ideas and improve my skills on wood, finishes and so on..my idea is to get a nice copy as the JagMaster or one of these korean made with JM shape and strat trem , then starting modding it: first the PUs then the finish and then the HARDWARE, and there I got a doubt..if I want to put a standard JM trem/ bridge will the neck pocket be right heighted to JM specs or it will be strat like, and my neck will sit too down for use that bridge?
Stereordinary has done that to his Jagmaster, right?
Architecture students are like virgins with an itch they cannot scratch,  never build a building 'till are fifty, what kind of life is that?

Stereordinary
Expat
Expat

Re: For the JagMaster users..

Post by Stereordinary » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:22 am

Yes, I have.  And the best thing I can recommend is that you do not use anything besides the standard Jazzmaster/Mustang bridge.  I couldn't leave well enough alone on mine and thought I'd put a Tune-O-Matic on it ('cause that's what I had laying around) and that required shimming of the neck pocket.  After re-routing the neck pocket and even sanding an angle into the neck itself I still didn't have enough angle and height to use the TOM!  Finally I remembered that I had a Mustang bridge and tried it out.  Lo and behold it's just the right height.  I'm not worried about it playing good/bad, I just wish I had decided to put the Mustang bridge on there in the first place.  Would have saved time and would have looked neater too.

Here she is as of this morning:
Rhoney Guitars, 2010-2017, 2024

Superfuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Superfuzz » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:44 am

Well I see but...isn't the bridge/tailpiece angle too straight?
It won't affect the sustain a lot?
And putting a piece of very hard wood in the neck pocket? as sort of big and plain shim, just for lifting the neck at the right height..
Architecture students are like virgins with an itch they cannot scratch,  never build a building 'till are fifty, what kind of life is that?

theworkoffire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by theworkoffire » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:49 am

You could always get one of these then there's a lot less work to do with the trem:

They're sold in the UK by http://www.cranesmusicstore.com/guitars ... -1_13.html - they don't always show them in stock (they sell through ebay too - search "jazzcaster" but send them an email. £129 last time they had them I think!

Stereordinary
Expat
Expat

Post by Stereordinary » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:53 am

Superfuzz wrote: Well I see but...isn't the bridge/tailpiece angle too straight?
Not anymore than a regular Jazzmaster.
Superfuzz wrote: It won't affect the sustain a lot?
No.  Again, not anymore than a regular Jazzmaster.
Superfuzz wrote: And putting a piece of very hard wood in the neck pocket? as sort of big and plain shim, just for lifting the neck at the right height..
If you want more height at the bridge, that would certainly be one way to do it.

Superfuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Superfuzz » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:01 am

ok!, let's save money now.

Stereordinary
Expat
Expat

Post by Stereordinary » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:18 am

Good luck, and let me know if you have any other questions!  :)