Late 50's Duo-Sonic Neck Swap

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
realm seeker
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Late 50's Duo-Sonic Neck Swap

Post by realm seeker » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:44 am

Hey Everyone,

This is my first post here and I'm hoping I can gain some insight on how to modify my late 50's Duo Sonic.

I wanted to know if it's possible to swap the 22.5" scale neck with a mid 60's Duo-Sonic II 24" scale without moving the bridge. I've heard that swapping for the longer 25.5" scale strat neck would require a bridge move but have read nothing about the 24".

Thanks!

cooterfinger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Late 50's Duo-Sonic Neck Swap

Post by cooterfinger » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:10 am

From everything I've read this is possibly. I've got two 22.5" scale duo projects going at the moment. I'll measure against my 24" musicmaster to make sure.

Edit: I just checked and that's a yes.
"Smells like Rock N' Roll"

realm seeker
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by realm seeker » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:22 am

cooterfinger wrote:From everything I've read this is possibly. I've got two 22.5" scale duo projects going at the moment. I'll measure against my 24" musicmaster to make sure.

Is that a "yes" on not having to move the bridge or yes on having to move it?

cooterfinger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cooterfinger » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:07 am

realm seeker wrote:
cooterfinger wrote:From everything I've read this is possibly. I've got two 22.5" scale duo projects going at the moment. I'll measure against my 24" musicmaster to make sure.

You do not have to move the bridge to switch from a vintage 22.5" to a vintage 24" scale neck.
"Smells like Rock N' Roll"

realm seeker
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by realm seeker » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:10 am

cooterfinger wrote:
realm seeker wrote:

You do not have to move the bridge to switch from a vintage 22.5" to a vintage 24" scale neck.
That's great, thanks for your help!

knuckle_head
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by knuckle_head » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:14 pm

If any of the 22.5" necks in question are worth owning I wouldn't mind knowing about that . . . . it's my preferred scale length.
I make Circle K strings and Knuckle guitars

realm seeker
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by realm seeker » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:34 pm

knuckle_head wrote:If any of the 22.5" necks in question are worth owning I wouldn't mind knowing about that . . . . it's my preferred scale length.
Definitely worth owning if that's your preffered scale length. The 22.5" I have is a late 50's soft V profile, flamed one piece maple with a walnut skunk stripe on the back. Basically a baby Strat neck in some ways.

FlatRacer
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by FlatRacer » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:01 pm

The late '60s Duo Sonics (officially known by the name "Duo Sonic II"), as well as the Musicmasters were offered with both medium scale (24") and short scale (22.5") necks. There is no difference in the bodies, only the necks. The medium scale neck has 22 frets, whereas the short scale neck has 21 frets. This is to accomodate both scales on the same body without the need to move the bridge.
One could suppose the idea was to offer a student guitar with a short scale neck to fit a child's small hands that could be replaced later on with a medium scale neck as the player's hands grew. Musicmasters and Duo Sonics were always pictured in the hands of young kids in the sales literature and advertisements.
Because of this accomodation within the Duo Sonic/Musicmaster line, it stands to reason the the two neck scales can be used interchangably on any of the Fender Short scale family of models including the Bronco, Musicmaster, Duo Sonic, Mustang, and Jaguar.

Eric

realm seeker
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by realm seeker » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:47 pm

FlatRacer wrote:The late '60s Duo Sonics (officially known by the name "Duo Sonic II"), as well as the Musicmasters were offered with both medium scale (24") and short scale (22.5") necks. There is no difference in the bodies, only the necks. The medium scale neck has 22 frets, whereas the short scale neck has 21 frets. This is to accomodate both scales on the same body without the need to move the bridge.
Thanks for the info Eric! It definitely makes sense from a marketing stand point. I have had some great pointers in the past week from another member who has what seems to be a wealth of knowledge about these guitars. From what I've learned, the swap should work for my late 50's duo body and duo II 24" neck. If you're interested in learning more about the exact measurements of these guitars, check out this thread and pdf over at:

http://shortscale.org/forum/viewtopic.p ... 23f2869dfe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

stafflod
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by stafflod » Fri May 03, 2024 8:17 am

This was good news, I'm building a Strato-Sonic-Stang-thing for my daughter. Just bought a 22.5 1960 neck off eBay. I will do a Strat PG/body modified for a shortscale with a Mustang vibrato.