Enlarging tuner holes on bass headstock

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
DB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Enlarging tuner holes on bass headstock

Post by DB » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:40 pm

Another cheapo project in the works, this one for my 13 year old.  This one is a Squier Bronco Bass as a starting point.  We're changing to a Mustang Bass PU, painting the headstock black, new decal, and...new gold glitter guard (his request, and Infliktor would love it, I'm sure).

Here's the question.  What's the best way to enlarge the tuner holes in the headstock?  They are already about 1/2" and need to be 3/4" to put some real tuners on it.  Since we're painting the headstock face, I can do some touch up but would prefer not to.  With new vintage style tuners I'm not too worried about a few chips on the back of the headstock.

Here's my options:

1)  Buy a 3/4" bit and just drill through to enlarge

2)  Glue 1/2" dowels in the existing holes, and use a 3/4" paddle bit or hole saw to make the tuner holes 3/4"

Any opinions?

Thanks!

DB
Last edited by DB on Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IV, V, VI, XII...

Superfuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Enlarging tuner holes on bass headstock

Post by Superfuzz » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:45 am

when I was close to buying a bronco bass I've thought about that a lot of times...
I think that enlarging the holes won't be enough..
Architecture students are like virgins with an itch they cannot scratch,  never build a building 'till are fifty, what kind of life is that?

guitartist65
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by guitartist65 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:40 am

I think you could find the kid a cheap bass with the options you want.  You're goning out of your way and extra expense for no reason.  You'll probably wind up regretting it in the end.

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:08 am

You could get a set of these and probably not have to drill at all.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Bass ... ml#details

"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

DB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DB » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:44 pm

guitartist65 wrote: I think you could find the kid a cheap bass with the options you want.  You're goning out of your way and extra expense for no reason.  You'll probably wind up regretting it in the end.
We already have the bass and the rest is from my parts bin except the pickguard.  The goal is not to make the best bass in the world, but to show my son how to put together a guitar, solder and wiring concepts, and setup.  It's really more for fun than anything else.

DB
IV, V, VI, XII...

DB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DB » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:45 pm

Superfuzz wrote: when I was close to buying a bronco bass I've thought about that a lot of times...
I think that enlarging the holes won't be enough..
Yeah, full sized tuners won't fit.  I have some vintage knockoffs that have smaller plates on the back so they'll fit.

DB
IV, V, VI, XII...

DB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DB » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:46 pm

mjet wrote: You could get a set of these and probably not have to drill at all.
I've already got some vintage knock offs in the parts bin that have a smaller than standard plate on the back, so they'll do.  Thanks for the tip though.

DB
IV, V, VI, XII...

theworkoffire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by theworkoffire » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:23 pm

Best way to enlarge the holes cleanly is to clamp 1/2" sheets of MDF/Masonite or Ply top and bottom and drill through with a new paddle or Forstner bit in a drill press, not freehand.

You'll need the sheets to be just bigger than the headstock - mark out by placing each sheet in turn onto the headstock and drawing round the edge and the holes, then drill a tiny hole through the centre of where the holes were to get the position on the other side and to guide the bit.

Then line the sheets up to your outline and clamp them securely before drilling. The ply will keep the bit centred and stop any tear-out on the headstock.

Have fun!

DB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DB » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:27 pm

theworkoffire wrote: Best way to enlarge the holes cleanly is to clamp 1/2" sheets of MDF/Masonite or Ply top and bottom and drill through with a new paddle or Forstner bit in a drill press, not freehand.

You'll need the sheets to be just bigger than the headstock - mark out by placing each sheet in turn onto the headstock and drawing round the edge and the holes, then drill a tiny hole through the centre of where the holes were to get the position on the other side and to guide the bit.

Then line the sheets up to your outline and clamp them securely before drilling. The ply will keep the bit centred and stop any tear-out on the headstock.

Have fun!
Thanks for the advice, this is exactly what I needed.

DB
IV, V, VI, XII...

theworkoffire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by theworkoffire » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:49 am

Any time - let us know how you get on.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:06 pm

I always enlarge holes with a.... I can't think of the name... damn!  It's shaped like a 'T'  .... Damnit....  Anyway, you do it by hand. 

*AHH!  Tapered Hand Reamer!

Easiest and safest solution for guitars IMO -suited best for novices like me anyway!
Last edited by OffYourFace on Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DB » Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:37 pm

OK, after some research and very careful measuring, enlarging the holes is too much work for this low budget project. The tuners I have MAY fit, but it would be really tight.  theworkoffire recommended the correct method I think, but I don't have a drill press, and now that I think the tuners won't fit it is not worth trying to find someone with the right tools.  On to plan B- keep the tuners or find some that fit.  I think I have a line on the latter.

DB
IV, V, VI, XII...

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:48 am

DB wrote: OK, after some research and very careful measuring, enlarging the holes is too much work for this low budget project. The tuners I have MAY fit, but it would be really tight.  theworkoffire recommended the correct method I think, but I don't have a drill press, and now that I think the tuners won't fit it is not worth trying to find someone with the right tools.  On to plan B- keep the tuners or find some that fit.  I think I have a line on the latter.

DB
The hand reamer is easy and quicker than you'd think.  It's also the best solution for enlarging the butt-end strap pin hole on acoustic guitars when adding a pickup.

DB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DB » Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:59 am

OffYourFace wrote:
The hand reamer is easy and quicker than you'd think.  It's also the best solution for enlarging the butt-end strap pin hole on acoustic guitars when adding a pickup.
[/quote]

Thanks.  I'll take a look at the hardware store tomorrow.

DB
IV, V, VI, XII...