Pickups for Squier Bass Vl

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
riffhai
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Pickups for Squier Bass Vl

Post by riffhai » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:19 pm

Hi there
I'm using a Squier Bass Vl. After a proper setup, bridge replacement (Mastery) and change to Circle K Strings with an 098. E6 the instrument performs great.
The only thing I'm not crazy about, are the pickups. I'm mostly using the middle pickup alone or together with the bridge. The middle pickup is fine so far, but the bridge pub is rather loud and high-midrangey.
The neck pickup sounds very boring and undefined, so I'm not using it.
Did someone make similar experiences?
Is it worth to change pickups? And which ones?
I know, Curtis Novak makes them.
I heard that Fenders new vintage '65 Jaguar and Jazzmaster sets are nice. Could i use a Jaguar set for the neck and bridge position, keeping the middle pickup. Or are Bass Vl pickups different from regular Jaguar guitar pickups?
Many questions! Looking forward to your answers.
Thanks !

Wildcat Lounge
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Pickups for Squier Bass Vl

Post by Wildcat Lounge » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:04 pm

Hi, I just picked up a Squier Bass VI for Christmas, and have been using the neck pickup primarily with the strangle switch on, have not had time to play it a lot, but liking that sound just fine. I am by no means an expert, but I have two suggestions. First I think if you use the search feature on the site you will find a lot of posts discussing Bass VI pickup options...you might have to read though a number of threads but recall seeing quite a bit of info. Second, before you go to the time and expense to change pickups, have you tried lowering the bridge pickup? This might be a cheap fix to lower it's output compared to the middle... not sure that it will affect the brightness, but if might get you closer. If you try it let us know how that works out!

Happy Playing!
Wildcat Lounge >^^<
The tone's in the fingers, who hid it in there and how do I get it back out?

straightblues
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by straightblues » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:52 pm

I know that Don Mare recently bought one of these and rewound the pickups in his. It sounds great. You might want to contact Don and see if he will wind you some. He is well known for his Tele pickups. But he just wound some Jaguar pickups for my Squier VM Jaguar that sound fantastic.

Iommi Garcia
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Iommi Garcia » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:06 pm

I just put some Duncan SJAG 3 pickups in my bass vi and find them a bit more dynamic and hotter than the stock pups. Definitely and improvement Of course they don't have the cool claw on them, but tone comes first! One hard lesson learned, however..those mounting screws will easily go through the back of the guitar if you screw them down too far...which is easy to do if you pull the stock pups and don't put enough of a spacer/foam under the new ones.

LarsL
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by LarsL » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:40 am

CMD have just made me a set for my bass VI.
Check him out on the Tube.
A real cool dude to Work with. I currently have his sets on 4 guitars.
Best
L

Las_Barracudas
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Las_Barracudas » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:01 am

The stock pickups sound fine on mine. What is it you don't like about them?

LarsL
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by LarsL » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:53 am

The stock ones are harsh sounding to my ears.