Shadoweclipse13's New Project Thread!

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.

Console Steel/Slide Guitar Carve Area Design Ideas

#1 (Picture 1 Top) - Parallel carve, straight lines to the edge
No votes
#2 (Picture 1 Middle) - Parallel carve, angled lines to the edge
29%
#3 (Picture 1 Bottom) - Parallel carve, curved lines to the edge
29%
#4 (Picture 2 Top) - Angled carve, straight lines to the edge
No votes
#5 (Picture 2 Middle) - Angled carve, angled lines to the edge
29%
#6 (Picture 2 Bottom) - Angled carve, curved lines to the edge
14%
#7 - Your own idea!
No votes

Total votes: 7

efiug
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Shadoweclipse13's New Project Thread!

Post by efiug » Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:19 am

Wild and chaotic sounds better to me, only downside i think would be trying to recreate certain sounds you'd find, wouldn't be as easy as just taking a picture probably.

hexes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hexes » Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:55 pm

rackmounting unbalanced devices and using a patch bay is a huuuuuge recipe for noise and signal loss. my advice is keep your usual order. i like to put gain stages and distortions in different places. absoLUTELY a distortion after a reverb, or a delay, but also some before.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:29 am

hexes wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:55 pm
rackmounting unbalanced devices and using a patch bay is a huuuuuge recipe for noise and signal loss. my advice is keep your usual order. i like to put gain stages and distortions in different places. absoLUTELY a distortion after a reverb, or a delay, but also some before.
Have you ever done something similar before? I love seeing how other people accomplish things like this!

I could always get a couple buffers if signal loss becomes a thing. As for noise, I'm planning to do things much like my board itself, and attempt to run power and audio cables either on opposite sides, perpendicular to each other (and not cross paths much), or both.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:45 am

Just posted this in The Synth Thread, and decided to put it here to keep all my project stuff together too.

Since the wedding has passed, and we finally got the house back together and cleaned after getting back from our European honeymoon, I finally some time to work on this! I had some edge-glued wood from a board game shelf that I built a few years ago (which I decided to go a different way with, and disassembled), so that's what I used for this project. I cut enough wood for 2 cabinets (one for the pedals, and one for the other rack modules) down to 14" wide. I finally bought some short (6U) rack rails for the upper cabinet (the one for the other rack modules), so, then I can finish putting the second rack together. But for now, until those come and I finish building the other cabinet, I just put all my modules into this one...

Now I just need a ton of patch cables to go from the back of the patchbays (still need 2 more) to the pedals themselves. I ordered some pedalboard tape from The Gig Rig this morning, and have a couple new pedals on the way as well, so I will have to mess around with pedal order. Having to mess with efficient order and layout on the sliding server rack shelves, making patch cables, and hooking up power supplies, sounds like a really fun winter project ;D
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:15 am

The only problem is when you need to get something out of the freezer…
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:22 am

sal paradise wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:15 am
:D :D That's just for right now. My whole area in the basement is stupidly unorganized. I made a small bench for sitting and putting your shoes on years ago (very similar to my homemade amp stand), but I never used it for that, so my bass amp is on it right now. I'm gonna move some things around, and put the pedal and rack cabinets on that until I can make a dedicated stand for my cabinets. To be honest, the cabinets are mostly just a proof-of-concept right now, as I don't know what space I'll have to work with next year if we buy a house. I may just make built-in racks or something. If nothing else, if I like where everything is and how it all works, I'll want to patch some holes in the wood I used for the cabinet, and stain/clearcoat it to protect the cabinet. So, we shall see what the next few months bring ;D

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:31 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:22 am
sal paradise wrote:
:D :D That's just for right now. My whole area in the basement is stupidly unorganized. I made a small bench for sitting and putting your shoes on years ago (very similar to my homemade amp stand), but I never used it for that, so my bass amp is on it right now. I'm gonna move some things around, and put the pedal and rack cabinets on that until I can make a dedicated stand for my cabinets. To be honest, the cabinets are mostly just a proof-of-concept right now, as I don't know what space I'll have to work with next year if we buy a house. I may just make built-in racks or something. If nothing else, if I like where everything is and how it all works, I'll want to patch some holes in the wood I used for the cabinet, and stain/clearcoat it to protect the cabinet. So, we shall see what the next few months bring ;D
Seriously though, they look amazing. Great job 👏
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:36 am

sal paradise wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:31 am
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:22 am
sal paradise wrote:
Seriously though, they look amazing. Great job 👏
Thanks Sal! I wish I'd thought of it earlier. All thanks to Zork for giving me the idea. It's hard to commit to any one specific pedal order, when things can be so good in a different order here and there, so the patchbay idea is SO perfect for me. I'm seriously super excited to get going on this.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:55 am

It's been a while since I've had an update! In my little free time lately, I've been trying to go through stuff in my area in the basement to purge or organize, getting ready for a possible move in the next few months. My current temporary workbench is now clear enough that I have enough room to finally get back to assembling/reassembling a few guitar projects! In the meantime, I've got a few little things going on.

[PATCHBAY PEDALBOARD]
Since the last pictures, I've removed all the 19" modules except for the shelves and the patchbays that the pedals will go to. So here's that:

The whole guitar/music area currently:

With a few things not pictured, this could basically be my submission for the "show your entire pedal collection" thread. Still need some velcro for the pedals too. Envelopes, octaves, compressors on the right, phasers and tremolos on the left:

Gain on the right, delay and reverb on the left:

The left is empty (supplies and cables for the project), but the right has my weird stuff (Electro-Faustus noise machines, bass DI, and Digitech SDrum):

[CONSOLE STEEL/SLIDE GUITAR]
I finally got off my ass and started drawing up my ideas for the slide guitar design. I've had a shape in my head for a while, and this is what I've come up with in Illustrator so far. There are 4 variations here, and I added these to a new poll above. They are the same overall shape, but the only difference here in these pictures is the shape of the carve on the outer "wings". This first picture, the inner edge of the carve is parallel to the fretboard:

#1 (Picture 1 Top) - Parallel carve, straight lines to the edge
#2 (Picture 1 Middle) - Parallel carve, angled lines to the edge
#3 (Picture 1 Bottom) - Parallel carve, curved lines to the edge

Second picture, the inner edge is angled in relation to the fretboard, closer to the fretboard by the headstock/tuners, farther from the fretboard by the bridge/pickups:

#4 (Picture 2 Top) - Angled carve, straight lines to the edge
#5 (Picture 2 Middle) - Angled carve, angled lines to the edge
#6 (Picture 2 Bottom) - Angled carve, curved lines to the edge

The 4 corners will have a slight rounded edge (I couldn't get Illustrator to properly round all 4 corners, so I just left it as is, and will do that later without it drawn on the template). As for the fretboard area carve, I like what I've got here, but none of the angles are 100% yet. I also like the idea of the lines to the edge being curved, but haven't drawn that up yet. But yeah, I'm open to any ideas that any of you fine folks who've got an eye for details may have. So I left a poll spot #7 for any other ideas ;D

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:47 pm

Its been a long while since I've made any progress on anything music- or guitar-related, and I apologize to anyone who was interested and then heard nothing! I posted when I got bodies back from painting by our own, fabulous, Copacetic! Still haven't done anything with any of those 2 bodies, but that's about to change! Reassembling my Tele Custom and my Jag Bass is about to happen as I've finally ordered a new pickguard for my Tele and new plates for the Jag Bass I ordered from Herad, will be shipping shortly!

Basically, if you can't tell, I'm fairly indecisive, in that, the possibilities are numerous, specifically with pot values and switching options. So, what I decided a while back is that I'm going to be installing a volume/tone bypass switch (what Sid Nitzerglobin calls the blower switch) on most or all of my guitars going forward.

For the Tele, I wired it like a traditional 70s Tele Custom, with a volume and tone pot for each pickup, and I'd like to replace it with a master volume and tone, but I'm not sure how I'll like the sound for both pickups, so this way, I can try a few out before committing to a set of pot values (or going back to the double volume and tones).

For the Jag Bass it's similar, but since the MM humbucker gets split, I've got a few weird ideas to play with (including a switch that would use one set of volume and tone values for full humbucker, and another for split, if it makes a difference).

Even if I don't change any values, I like having the bypass switch on both, so that'll be nice in any case. The new plate on the Jag Bass is the upper Jag plate, which now has a spot for TWO DPDT sliders (one for phase of the neck side of the humbucker, and one for the bypass switch) and two DP3T sliders for each half of the humbucker. I'll be dumping the 3-way toggle for the humbucker half selection, and opting for a rotary, so there will be no more dead spots. I'll post the schematics as I finish them in case anyone is interested.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed May 17, 2023 7:22 pm

[Console Slide Guitar]

Finally printed the design I worked up in Illustrator. This thing is huge! I kinda wonder if I want to slim down the angle of the perimeter, so I don't have to glue on a little extra wood on the edges to make the wood chunk I've got wide enough.

From the butt looking up.

From the head looking down.

Close-ups of the hardware (custom Herad plate for the bridge, Tele bridge pickup and KT-100 for the neck position (both from Roadhouse before he stopped making pickups!), 7-string width fretboard blank, and template for headstock.