Shadoweclipse13's New Project Thread!

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.

Console Steel/Slide Guitar Carve Area Design Ideas

#1 (Picture 1 Top) - Parallel carve, straight lines to the edge
No votes
#2 (Picture 1 Middle) - Parallel carve, angled lines to the edge
29%
#3 (Picture 1 Bottom) - Parallel carve, curved lines to the edge
29%
#4 (Picture 2 Top) - Angled carve, straight lines to the edge
No votes
#5 (Picture 2 Middle) - Angled carve, angled lines to the edge
29%
#6 (Picture 2 Bottom) - Angled carve, curved lines to the edge
14%
#7 - Your own idea!
No votes

Total votes: 7

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Shadoweclipse13's New Project Thread!

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:33 am

Gordon wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:27 am
Ah, that turned out really awesome! :-*
It really did! I've been excited for that project for awhile, but even more now!!
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:43 am

Please excuse the double post of this (also in the What's On Your Workbench Now? thread), as I like using this thread as a portfolio/archive of sorts.

New CD shelf, with divisions for different genres and extra space for knick-knacks!
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

egosheep
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by egosheep » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:59 pm

Damn I love those pickups! :? :?

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:49 pm

egosheep wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:59 pm
Damn I love those pickups! :? :?
Thanks man!! Me too! Right now I'm just curious how it's gonna sound. Not sure I've ever heard Tele neck pickups in a VI.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:34 am

Ok, so I've been dragging my ass on the Strazz LONG ENOUGH. It's got a crack in what I think is the book-matching glue-line (close to it any way).

Anywho! I've got a 3-day weekend, and for once I'm amped to get some shit done. I've got plenty of wood glue (Elmer's Woodglue Max), tons of clamps, and I think everything else material-wise I might need.

I've never had to glue a body like this before (partial split). I'll post a picture when I get home in about an hour/hour and a half.

Does anyone have any advice for this kind of glue up? Angles for clamps? Better type of wood glue (if you think the Elmer's Max isn't good enough)? Anything?

This is one of my favorite guitar designs, and I don't want to fuck it up.

Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rgand » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:04 am

Hey, how come I haven't seen this thread since page seven? Just where the hell have I been? :D There's been some great stuff going on here. Outstanding work.

Back to your question. I use Titebond III and have yet to have an issue. The stuff sets up nicely. I use pipe clamps to apply good pressure with it.

With a shaped body, you'd probably need to make some padded blocks to keep from marring the edges of the body.

A friend of mine who does woodworking likes Gorilla glue. In fact, he butt spliced a rifle stock for me with one biscuit to line things up. It has held up for many years of use and abuse. That requires moisture to cure so you may have a problem getting it damp in the crack unless you separate it some. On that, he just dampened both sides with a slightly damp sponge first.

Of course, that got covered with leather so it didn't look so funky.

Now, I have a question. where did you get those cool open Tele neck pickup covers? They look great!

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:26 pm

Shit, I knew I was forgetting something. I'll try to get a picture of the Strazz this morning after work. Gonna be staying up to get some schematics done anywho.
Rgand wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:04 am
Hey, how come I haven't seen this thread since page seven? Just where the hell have I been? :D There's been some great stuff going on here. Outstanding work.
Thanks man!
Rgand wrote:
Back to your question. I use Titebond III and have yet to have an issue. The stuff sets up nicely. I use pipe clamps to apply good pressure with it.

With a shaped body, you'd probably need to make some padded blocks to keep from marring the edges of the body.
I've got pipe clamps, and I'll grab some Titebond III. I've never used Titebond of any kind, and was curious what the number designations meant. Is it mostly a strength intensity? I could probably make some padded blocks too.
Rgand wrote:
A friend of mine who does woodworking likes Gorilla glue. In fact, he butt spliced a rifle stock for me with one biscuit to line things up. It has held up for many years of use and abuse. That requires moisture to cure so you may have a problem getting it damp in the crack unless you separate it some. On that, he just dampened both sides with a slightly damp sponge first.

Of course, that got covered with leather so it didn't look so funky.

This looks great!

I'm hoping to not have to separate the crack any more than it already is. I've been wondering if I could get a syringe with a small piece of tubing to squeeze some glue into the crack if I need to. There's a science store close to me that has all kinds of stuff like that. I'll let you judge when I post pictures later.
Rgand wrote:
Now, I have a question. where did you get those cool open Tele neck pickup covers? They look great!
I had Sentell pickups make them for me, but I bought the covers themselves from 2 different places.

The P-90 cover, I bought from Decoboom as just the outer cover (not the striped insert). I asked and they were cool selling just the metal ring, and a bit cheaper too!

For the Tele pickup covers, I ordered from Philadelphia Luthier Supply. I sent the parts to Sentell, and he put it all together after making the pickups. He even put tape or glue inside the P-90 cover, to hold the cover to the pickup.

I can't wait to build the VI to see how it's gonna look. These pickups are going on a Mustang/Duo-Sonic style body. I'm thinking Rexter's Firemist like on the JM in the back right here:
And a plain metal (silvery) colored anodized guard from gdayj. The only thing holding me up at this point is the neck. Trying to find a Bass VI scale neck, lefty, has been a bit of a bitch. I'm still looking.

Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rgand » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:24 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:26 pm
Rgand wrote:

This looks great!

I'm hoping to not have to separate the crack any more than it already is. I've been wondering if I could get a syringe with a small piece of tubing to squeeze some glue into the crack if I need to. There's a science store close to me that has all kinds of stuff like that. I'll let you judge when I post pictures later.
Thanks.

With a fine crack like yours, the hard part is getting glue deep into the crack. Your syringe idea might be a good one. Do you have something with a tiny crack to experiment on?
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Rgand wrote:
I had Sentell pickups make them for me, but I bought the covers themselves from 2 different places.
I like those a lot. I was hoping to hear of a ready made source for them. They're beautiful. I'll have to see about cutting one out one of these days. Did that affect the tone?
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
I can't wait to build the VI to see how it's gonna look. These pickups are going on a Mustang/Duo-Sonic style body. I'm thinking Rexter's Firemist like on the JM in the back right here:
And a plain metal (silvery) colored anodized guard from gdayj. The only thing holding me up at this point is the neck. Trying to find a Bass VI scale neck, lefty, has been a bit of a bitch. I'm still looking.
That firemist is really nice. There's an old Buick Wildcat around the corner from here in Seamist Jade. Every time I drive by it, I think it would look great on a guitar.

That firemist is even nicer.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:37 pm

Rgand wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:24 am
With a fine crack like yours, the hard part is getting glue deep into the crack. Your syringe idea might be a good one. Do you have something with a tiny crack to experiment on?
Are you saying I have a nice ass ;) ? :D I don't have anything to experiment on at the moment. I could maybe fake something, or cut a couple chunks of wood in a weird way to simulate that. I'll play around with the syringe idea...
Rgand wrote:
I like those a lot. I was hoping to hear of a ready made source for them. They're beautiful. I'll have to see about cutting one out one of these days. Did that affect the tone?
Sentell charges pretty reasonable prices too. It was $240 for the set of 3 pickups. As for the tone, I'm not sure yet. I'm still haven't built the body yet. I have a feeling that it will change the pickups a little bit. If you've ever watched a pickup comparison video for open humbuckers vs. covered humbuckers, it's subtle, but it definitely sounds like a bit of a difference to me.

BKP Tutorial: Covered vs. Uncovered humbuckers and Covered vs. Uncovered Pickups are both videos I watched (with headphones) when I was ordering my humbuckers and trying to decide.

In the end, and my indecisive way, I decided on both. I'm hoping it sounds good in any case (still working on this one too).
Rgand wrote:
That firemist is really nice. There's an old Buick Wildcat around the corner from here in Seamist Jade. Every time I drive by it, I think it would look great on a guitar.

That firemist is even nicer.
I looked up that GM color, and this is what I found:

That would look FANTASTIC on a guitar. I feel like the current Fender "sage green metallic" is basically that, and you're right: it looks amazing.

BTL
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BTL » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:21 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:30 pm
My Sentell pickups came in this morning!! These will be on the Bass VI project. They came out better than I thought they would!!!

All 3 (bridge P-90, middle Tele, neck Tele).

Close-up of the P-90 :? :? :? :? :-*
Those look fantastic!
Owner, Lowe Custom Guitars

ChristheRat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ChristheRat » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:36 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:01 pm
I have some updates for a bunch of different things:
Here's where I'm at with the redesigned Eurorack case:
I was inspired originally by the old Moog modular stuff (like the system 55), but I fucked up the mounting of the power supply, so I started over. I'll hopefully be getting some more progress on this this coming weekend.

This summer, I made a matching set of pie boxes for my sister and I (both made from the same two pieces of oak, so they too are siblings). I'm using mine for my sentimental stuff:

I never posted a picture of my finished record player stand in use, because it sat in storage for a year immediately after it was finished! The TV has since moved to a crappy little side table, just until I build an entertainment center.

I know I posted this in the Good Things thread, but here's where I'm at with my bed frame design too. At the moment, it's sitting in my bedroom, actually being used as a bed frame, because my garage needs room and organization:

And finally! My 70's Sci-Fi baritone guitar, based on Deed_Poll's Juniorbird design. Here's a refresher to the color and pickup mock-up I'd made:

I've already got the pickups, the switches, and the knobs too (I think). Dan/Deed_Poll cut the body today, so here's where we're at:
(Not my actual pickguard).
Holy smokes that baritone is so rad. Is it finished yet? Also what constitutes a guitar as baritone?
Things are more like they are now, then they ever have been.

Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rgand » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:54 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:37 pm
Rgand wrote:
Are you saying I have a nice ass ;) ? :D I don't have anything to experiment on at the moment. I could maybe fake something, or cut a couple chunks of wood in a weird way to simulate that. I'll play around with the syringe idea...
:D :D
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Sentell charges pretty reasonable prices too. It was $240 for the set of 3 pickups.
That's a good price. I'll look into those. Thanks for the video links. Those tell it. For me, there is a significant, although not gigantic, difference.
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
In the end, and my indecisive way, I decided on both. I'm hoping it sounds good in any case (still working on this one too).
That pickup looks great! the white with the punched cover is a good look.
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Another great pickup type. Back in the day, the short ones with the 327 were called "Cowboy Corvettes" because the engine had 5 main bearings the same as the Corvette engines. AND they were light and fast. Wouldn't want that sitting on my guitar, though. :D
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
That would look FANTASTIC on a guitar. I feel like the current Fender "sage green metallic" is basically that, and you're right: it looks amazing.
I agree, that does look really good.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:15 pm

Oops, double/mistake post.
Last edited by Shadoweclipse13 on Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:20 pm

BeeTL wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:21 am
Those look fantastic!
They really do! I'm dying to get the Bass VI together to see how they sound.

ChristheRat wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:36 am
And finally! My 70's Sci-Fi baritone guitar, based on Deed_Poll's Juniorbird design. Here's a refresher to the color and pickup mock-up I'd made:

I've already got the pickups, the switches, and the knobs too (I think). Dan/Deed_Poll cut the body today, so here's where we're at:
(Not my actual pickguard).
Holy smokes that baritone is so rad. Is it finished yet? Also what constitutes a guitar as baritone?[/quote]
Thanks dude. I don't have it in hand yet. The guy building it is still working on it I believe. Planning on sending it to our Rexter to have it finished, and then I'll start assembling.

I think there are some variables that make a baritone a baritone, but I've always known them to be tuned half-an-octave below a guitar and half-an-octave above a bass, usually tuned B-b. Think about a 7-string guitar without the high e.

Rgand wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:54 am
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Sentell charges pretty reasonable prices too. It was $240 for the set of 3 pickups.
That's a good price. I'll look into those. Thanks for the video links. Those tell it. For me, there is a significant, although not gigantic, difference.
Glad it's not just my ears, or worse, my imagination ;D
Rgand wrote:
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
That pickup looks great! the white with the punched cover is a good look.
Agreed! When I found that Bare Knuckle offered them (for one specific model they make), I wrote them to see if I could get one for something else, and they said yes. I thought having cream/chrome/cream (with the mounting ring) would look fantastic. I figured it wasn't too much cream (i.e. open humbucker) and neither was it too much chrome (covered humbucker).
Rgand wrote:
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Another great pickup type. Back in the day, the short ones with the 327 were called "Cowboy Corvettes" because the engine had 5 main bearings the same as the Corvette engines. AND they were light and fast. Wouldn't want that sitting on my guitar, though. :D
I'd love to have an old truck. SO bad. I'm not much of a car guy, but I love classic American cars and trucks.

Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rgand » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:58 pm

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:20 pm
I'd love to have an old truck. SO bad. I'm not much of a car guy, but I love classic American cars and trucks.
I've often told my wife if anything ever happend to my truck (new, comfortable, etc.) I'd replace it with a classic one.