Is "angela" an ok way to go?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
donnyII
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Is "angela" an ok way to go?

Post by donnyII » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:54 pm

Is angela a good place to get stuff from?
Behold, THE WIZARD

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Re: Is "angela" an ok way to go?

Post by zhivago » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:03 am

I've only bought from them once on ebay...the shipping was RIDICULOUSLY expensive...like $30-odd dollars!  >:( >:( >:(

(for an XII control plate!)

they didn't even send it via special mail...it took 10 days to get here.

I'll be buying one more item from them, as they are the only ones who have it in stock, and then never again.  >:(
Resident Spartan.

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:24 am

I had only one experience with them and it was very bad.. they do have incredible NOS stuff that you can't seem to find anywhere else but imo that's all they have going for them

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:28 am

I've never ordered from them but I've heard a lot of mixed "reviews" so to speak.  I'd call them if they were the only ones that had what I needed but I generally look elsewhere.  The biggest reason is that I can't simply place an order over their website.  There are so many relatively simple ways to set up an eCommerce site these days it seems a bit silly they still operate the way they do.

jetset
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jetset » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:44 am

Steve is a character. If you ever saw one of his old paper catalogs you'd get a better sense of how disturbed and funny he is.  His minimum shipping is $10, but if you are buying say, everything you need for a Jaguar at ance, he's got it all.  I've ordered many times and always get what I ordered in a day.  He also has a great selection of tube amp parts - sockets, etc. for reasonable prices.  Just don't call him to ask a question.
-J
I can't hear the forest for all the falling trees.

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:48 am

He has ordering guidelines on his site - if you follow those, he'll more than hold up his part of the bargain. He ships quick and by whichever means you request. His int'l shipping prices are fairly steep so I have them ordered to US addresses and then have someone forward them on (or bring them over). He's got the goods but he doesn't suffer fools gladly, so if you have questions, keep them brief, intelligent and too the point.

I saw someone on the FDP get indignant that Steve didn't want to answer a litany of questions about a $5 part. I mean this guy was completely stunned that he was basically told by a shop owner to stop pestering him and buy from someone else. Having had nothing but positive experiences with Steve (and an appreciation for this kind of personality) I enjoyed watching.  :)
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:01 am

so it's the buyers fault for his rudeness and extremely poor customer service?  ::)

maybe you've had only positive experiences with him but it's a bit cavalier to assume anyone who hasn't is at fault or a fool.

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:10 am

daydreamdelay wrote: so it's the buyers fault for his rudeness and extremely poor customer service?  ::)
C'mon - you know how geeky guitar part freaks can be. And I'm sure he's had his share of having a 10 minute discussion with someone who then takes the knowledge and buys from somewhere else. Considering the profit margins on some cheap parts, it really does come down to whether it's worth it or not. I like the idea that he can say "it's my store, it's my (limited) time, and I'll pass on the occasional $5 piece of business for more time to do what I want". After all, it's *his* business!

daydreamdelay wrote: maybe you've had only positive experiences with him but it's a bit cavalier to assume anyone who hasn't is at fault or a fool.
"Doesn't suffer fools gladly" is a phrase meaning that one doesn't like putting up with small talk (for whatever reason - arrogance is certainly one possible reason). I don't mean that anyone who doesn't like shopping there is a fool.
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

CurtisNovak
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CurtisNovak » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:33 am

Four words some it up the best...

"No Soup for you!"

I do understand where he comes from, b/c every once in a while you will get someone that REALLY drag things out to an excruciating level, but I feel it is part of the game and you just suffer through it.  The thought does cross your mind from time to time to respond like that.... I just dont think it is appropriate. 

As for his markup minimal markup.... while I was on the phone w/ him ordering  a $7 pickup cover
I asked him if he gives a discount on large orders, he said No Way.
I said ok I will take 10 of them, he informed me that the price just went back up to his Ebay price of $19.

what a hoot!
Gonads are useful for their purpose, but are NO substitute for brains.

---

[url=http://www.myspace.com/curtisnovak]www.myspace.com/curtisnovak

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:34 am

zhivago wrote: I've only bought from them once on ebay...the shipping was RIDICULOUSLY expensive...like $30-odd dollars!  >:( >:( >:(
It is expensive, but to Steve's credit, this policy is written on his "ordering information" page.

http://www.angela.com/catalog/ORDERING_INFO.html
OUR MINIMUM SHIPPING CHARGE IS $10.00 IN THE USA, $25.00 TO CANADA AND $35.00 FOR ALL ORDERS SHIPPED OUTSIDE OF THE USA/CANADA; NO EXCEPTIONS!  Merchandise Minimum for orders shipped outside of the USA is $50 goods.
Basically it comes down to a "take it or leave it" policy. Most stores bend over backwards to convince you not to leave. It seems that Angela's is willing to risk the occasional person "leaving it". If it doesn't hurt their bottom line, that likely won't change.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:39 am

CurtisNovak wrote: Four words some it up the best...

"No Soup for you!"

I do understand where he comes from, b/c every once in a while you will get someone that REALLY drag things out to an excruciating level, but I feel it is part of the game and you just suffer through it.  The thought does cross your mind from time to time to respond like that.... I just dont think it is appropriate. 
In that analogy, people tolerated the strict ordering regime because the soup was fantastic (and he knew it). For better or for worse, the same applies here - looking for an Electric XII control plate? Who else are you going to call? I think Angela's bought up all of the old inventory from Smart Parts when the owner passed away. I had an Excel table with lots of parts listed for the selloff and by the time I got around to saying what I'd like it had already been snapped up. Goes to show how rare these parts can be.

Mr M
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mr M » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:20 am

I got a NOS control plate from them. i had a friend order it for me. no problems.

I do have to say i think Steve feels that since he is the only person who carrys alot of the stuff he does. that he feels that he is alot of peoples only option. and if people want it bad enough they will buy it, regardless of weather he answers your questions or not.

I'm sorry i don't like people who are not friendly and do what they can for you, We are paying his bills if we buy stuff from him. With that being said he needs to take a look at how Joe Naylor runs Reverend Guitars, now that is a man know how to treat his customers. Ask ANYONE who has had a question or bought a guitar from them.
Last edited by Mr M on Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:30 am

I've been using Angela for 5-6 years or so (maybe longer), and never had a problem. And I've NEVER been treated any way but courteous, by Steve or by the woman who works the phones (whom I assume to be his wife).

Not trying to discount anyone's experience of rudeness or ineptness. Just trying to be 'fair and balanced'.

:)
Q. Are we not men?

CurtisNovak
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CurtisNovak » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:53 am

mjet260 wrote:
CurtisNovak wrote: Four words some it up the best...

"No Soup for you!"

In that analogy, people tolerated the strict ordering regime because the soup was fantastic (and he knew it). For better or for worse, the same applies here - looking for an Electric XII control plate? Who else are you going to call? I think Angela's bought up all of the old inventory from Smart Parts when the owner passed away. I had an Excel table with lots of parts listed for the selloff and by the time I got around to saying what I'd like it had already been snapped up. Goes to show how rare these parts can be.
Yep I meant it that way too!  I agree totally w/ that analogy as you expanded it.  I will gladly stand in line, quickly step up when it is my turn, simply place my order and quietly and in an orderly fashion step to the side and refrain from asking ANY stupid requests.    When he tripled the price as was placing my order, I politely said oh I am sorry I guess I not cant afford to buy any, AND went on w/ the rest of my order NEVER mentioning the matter again.
The soup is THAT GOOD!
Gonads are useful for their purpose, but are NO substitute for brains.

---

[url=http://www.myspace.com/curtisnovak]www.myspace.com/curtisnovak

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:31 am

I've never dealt with Angela, so I have no comment there, but this ..
Mr M wrote: look at how Joe Naylor runs Reverend Guitars, now that is a man know how to treat his customers.
.. is absolutely true.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.