LP, Tele, Jazz Mashup. "the Preacher". FINISHED on page 7.

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: LP, Tele, Jazz Mashup. Paper finish. CBS Head.

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:13 pm

AWSchmit wrote:
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:AWSchmit, this look killer!! It's giving me ideas too
Glad you like it. It's a great process. But learn from my mistakes and don't repeat them. Lol. Feel free to tap me for help or questions.

Aws
I will!! Thanks dude 8)
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:50 pm

AWSchmit wrote:Thanks for the love guys.

As an aside, if this is something you would like to try, check out fancy wrapping paper websites every so often. The paper isn't real expensive when compared to two can of decent lacquer in a rattle can. lol.
Here's where I bought mine: https://www.papersource.com/giftwrap/PS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... paper.html

Wrapping paper is a good alternative to wall paper for a few reasons. 1. You don;t have to buy 50 square feet of paper. 2. Less expensive (probably relates to 1.) and 3. It;s not as thick or textured. Plus to do it my way you need paper that will soak up water completely and evenly.
One sheet did the front and back. Not sure how that situation would fair on a Jazzmaster though. Mine were shipped in a tube like a poster. The only down side is there aren't usually a whole lot of manufacturers or patterns to choose from. But it seems like every 6 months or so designs roll out with new ones replacing them. So if you don't find what you like now, check back later to see if there are new ones.
They've got some cool designs there. The way my mind works, I'm now going through all sorts of alternatives for the paper itself and was thinking... If the stuff you ordered is the equivalent thickness of average store-bought wrapping paper, you could also look locally for patterns you dig (big chain stores, as well as Hallmark or other like that). I started to make a scrapbook for a now ex-girlfriend a couple years ago and found a method for the covers from a super cool chick named SeaLemon (youtube) where she had used cloth (like from a bolt of fabric from some place like Joanne's) and heated it onto a sewing backing piece.

Here's the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdHo8NtDOXc
(P.S.- After watching some of Jennifer's (SeaLemon's) videos, I realized I sort of have a crush on her. She's super cute :blush: )

The cool thing about it was that you could use just about any fabric, and after the backing was attached, you could glue it onto anything. My ex was a huge fan of flowers and vintage patterns, so I found something like that, and made the covers out of a thin, dense cardboard from a scrapbooking store (4 or 5 pieces glued together for strength) and then glued the backed fabric onto it. It turned out REALLY great. I'd love to do something like that for a guitar, BUT, I don't know how well the backed fabric would take a clearcoat over it (or if it even would need it). From what I remember from that project, I imagine that the backed fabric would glue to wood VERY easily.

My other thought would be to find cool paper patterns from a local or online scrapbooking store. Just thinking (deeply) out loud here :D
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

AWSchmit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AWSchmit » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:56 pm

I've messed with fabric before. And it's cool. But if you want a flat slick finish it is really hard to get. Fabric has so much dimension that it's hard to fill up. Regular wrapping paper should work fine. It's thinner then what I used though. Not sure if the same methods would work though because a lot of regular wrapping paper has a more magazine page slickness where the stuff I used feels like medium tooth plain paper. So it takes water and glue well. Not sure what regular wrapping paper would do. Worth messing with though.
I finally finish building a guitar, go to play it, and then remember, "oh yeah, that's right. I suck at playing... Why did I build another guitar again?"

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:47 pm

Really cool!!! Love that pattern!!!

Subscribed. 8)
The artist formerly known as kosmonautmayhem.

Kwyjibo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kwyjibo » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:02 am

so so cool, man! Really looking forward to seeing the final product

kosta
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kosta » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:04 pm

Wild stuff! Loving that paper with the subtle black burst.

mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mediocreplayer » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:49 pm

This looks amazing! I have an ignorant question: doesnt the paper tear if you play too hard?

AWSchmit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AWSchmit » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:53 am

I decided to test if I had built up too much around the neck and pickup cavities due to the paper/glue/lacqure so I tested the neck and pickups and low and behold every damn cavity was too tight. So I took to them with sand paper and a utility knife to open them up enough to allow a proper fit. While I was at it I snapped this picture to show how it'll look with the neck on... I love it.

Yesterday and took the body back into the shop for some touch-up work with the black paint and more clear (after this pic was taken)... I think one more session of clear and this will be ready to hang and cure for a while and then polishing.

AWS
I finally finish building a guitar, go to play it, and then remember, "oh yeah, that's right. I suck at playing... Why did I build another guitar again?"

AWSchmit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AWSchmit » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:02 am

mediocreplayer wrote:This looks amazing! I have an ignorant question: doesn't the paper tear if you play too hard?
If you wear down far enough, sure. But hopefully I don't get through the lacquer any time soon. By the time that happens it'll look cool that way anyway. I would guess that that it's more likely that the paper will separate from the body before the lacquer wears though... Maybe not though. I hope not.

Here is an extreme vintage example, but you get the idea.

kosta
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kosta » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:36 am

These are so good. Looks awesome with that big headstock maple neck!

W.L.Weller
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by W.L.Weller » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:39 am

For what it's worth (very little) I have those Duncan Designed pickups in a VMJM right now, and am into how they sound for loud, distorted guitar. I'm glad to hear you got the chance to check them out for yourself. What I don't have is much experience playing through other, nicer Jazzmaster pickups, so it could be the case that I don't know what I'm missing.

Guitar looks super awesome, I'm definitely tucking the paper idea under my hat. Excited to see/hear the finished product.

Con-Tiki!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Con-Tiki! » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:17 pm

really neat.
I would never have thought to pre-soak the paper. it looks great, although i'm pretty amazed it held together, and the colors didn't run.
(Christopher, also)
I've been to one World's Fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing i ever heard come out a pair of headphones.

AWSchmit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AWSchmit » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:03 pm

Con-Tiki! wrote:really neat.
I would never have thought to pre-soak the paper. it looks great, although i'm pretty amazed it held together, and the colors didn't run.
Yep. Colors didn't run at all. The holder together part was tricky. I had to be very careful with it once wet. If the paper had been thinner I would have had more problem I imagine.
Last edited by AWSchmit on Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

AWSchmit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AWSchmit » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:31 am

I think I'm done with clear... Time to let it hang for a while...

Rockinrob86
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Rockinrob86 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:15 pm

That thing looks awesome!

I got to play a '68 Pink Paisley during a studio session one time. It was a really cool guitar, and I really loved how the yellowed lacquer interacted with the paper. Very deep look to it