Tell me why I shouldn't get a Nash

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Tell me why I shouldn't get a Nash

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:31 pm

Seriously have been tempted by them lately. I agree that anything past a light relicing looks like crap. Mainly looking at strats of all things. I played one that sounded really nice but I couldn't stand the v neck it had. I would imagine the c shapes are more to my liking. My main reasons for wanting one are 1. I like the fact they use nitro and the guitars are worn/broke in and not glossy like 2nd hand strats I could get. 2. They use lollars. 3. I have a local shop that deals them regularly and I suppose I could order virtually any color combo I want (rare finishes otherwise not available) 4. I don't have to go through the trouble of building myself and can save myself the hassle and time.

For a long time I've turned my head at them for being overpriced for what they are, but at this point in my life I don't care what's on the headstock.This is coming from a guy who used boutique LSL, Gibsons, American PRS, AVRI jazz masters etc.. My primary and only reliable axe ATM is a squire JMJM. I'm ready for something different and with my lifestyle I need convenience. I someday wish to make partscasters but I have not time/energy for it. Is there another option? Or do I get a Nash?

my bloody television
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Tell me why I shouldn't get a Nash

Post by my bloody television » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:45 pm

I have only played one Nash guitar before but I can tell you what I thought if that helps. It was a T-style with a butterscotch finish and bakelite guard. The guitar was extremely comfortable, played very well, and sounded great. The relic job (as with most of his other guitars I've seen in pictures) was comical. I personally think for a parts guitar they're overpriced, but the one I played was set up very well and sounded great. I'd say it was pretty comparable to a CS broad/nocaster. I suppose given the price of a Custom Shop Fender the Nash guitars are more reasonably priced but something about a guitar built from readily available parts and attacked with a belt sander with an asking price of $2,000+ rubs me the wrong way a little bit. That's just my personal opinion though.

Kostas
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kostas » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:57 pm

Unicorn Warrior wrote:...For a long time I've turned my head at them for being overpriced for what they are, but at this point in my life I don't care what's on the headstock.This is coming from a guy who used boutique LSL, Gibsons, American PRS, AVRI jazz masters etc.. My primary and only reliable axe ATM is a squire JMJM. I'm ready for something different and with my lifestyle I need convenience. I someday wish to make partscasters but I have not time/energy for it. Is there another option? Or do I get a Nash?
I'm wondering what the Squier is giving you and the more expensive guitars didn't offer you. It seems you have made up your mind so go ahead and try Nash. You never know if you'll like a Nash guitar until you live with her for a period of time.

beauzooka
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by beauzooka » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:44 pm

Please take a look at Danocaster. Better guitar and better relicing at a similar price, IMHO.

http://www.danocaster.com/danocaster/Home.html
Last edited by beauzooka on Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:51 pm

Although I do have some great looking vintage guitars/basses with enough M@J@ wear to sink a battleship, when I buy/build a new guitar I do not want it relic'd. I like "new" looking/feel guitars.

However if I was to purchase a new guitar that I wanted to look old from day one, Danocaster is the only guy I'd go to... I have always been impressed with the guitars he builds. Everything else out there in the "Relic" market place (including the fender CS) just looks shite... especially NASH guitars.
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:56 pm

sookwinder wrote: ...if I was to purchase a new guitar that I wanted to look old from day one, Danocaster is the only guy I'd go to... I have always been impressed with the guitars he builds. Everything else out there in the "Relic" market place (including the fender CS) just looks shite... especially NASH guitars.
This! Danocaster or buy new & let it age gracefully.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

HorseyBoy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HorseyBoy » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:43 am

Another vote for a Danocaster strat here. Or if you wanted a genuine 1979 "relic", I'd take a good look at the one devnulljp has for sale here:

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... &p=1134475" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lotsa mojo in that guitar.

PJazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Location: Bo Diddley Technical Institute of Cryptozoology (European HQ)

Post by PJazzmaster » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:09 am

:o ...because of:

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... hilit=Nash" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:34 am

Kostas wrote:
I'm wondering what the Squier is giving you and the more expensive guitars didn't offer you. It seems you have made up your mind so go ahead and try Nash. You never know if you'll like a Nash guitar until you live with her for a period of time.

I sold a lot of my guitar EQ to pursue firearms and cycling hobbies lol. The more expensive guitars, besides the PRS really were great.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:44 am

I actually love the idea of a Danocaster. Aren't they a bit higher in price though?

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:48 am

Nash Teles are decent guitars. I've played a lot of good ones and a lot of OK ones. However, Danocaster does better relics and for similar money, so go that route.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:50 am

PJazzmaster wrote: :o ...because of:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=47291&hilit=Nash
Oooph!! I'd forgotten all about that thread.

Damning stuff!
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

choice_of_meat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by choice_of_meat » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:35 am

I hate to be a hater but there are so many really good strat makers out there now... I'd say buy used for sure, since you are not concerned with wear and tear... my used Thorn was as much as a new Nash. Strats are not popular, so really really good ones can be had on the cheap me thinks.
Try to play as many as possible and compare, it's worth a trip to a good guitar store. I think what you should get will hopefully become clear to you. It sounds like you have experience with some good ones as well, so that's good.
I never thought I would like a v neck as well... but my main guitar (thorn C/S) has a soft v neck now and I love it. I always think it's weird how much I do.

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:45 am

I had a Nash briefly. It was a '52/Blackguard type ... it had one of the nicest Tele necks I've ever played and the neck wear pattern made it feel super comfortable to play. Yes the overall relic-ing of the body was way over the top, but no worse than a lot of the heavy relic Fender CS guitars. It was the lightest Fender type solid body I've ever had - silly light, and extremely resonant.

Add to all that the fact that it had Lollar pickups fitted, which sounded great, and I can't really find much to fault it.

1. Great neck and perfect fret work - great playing/feeling neck.
2. Light and extremely resonant unplugged.
3. Sounded great plugged in.

That's pretty much all boxes ticked for me. I'd have one again if I came across one second hand for the right price.

beauzooka
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by beauzooka » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:53 am

Unicorn Warrior wrote:I actually love the idea of a Danocaster. Aren't they a bit higher in price though?
I think Nash and Danocaster are priced about the same. Email Dan and he will give you a quote. Super nice guy.