1 type of guitar or many?

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
ChelseaFC
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: 1 type of guitar or many?

Post by ChelseaFC » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:14 pm

I do feel compelled to have just one well built electric that feels and sounds right. I guess I'm still looking for "the one". Could it be a T M Jazzmaster? The Edge I am not!

Snap_Jangle_Pop
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Snap_Jangle_Pop » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:17 pm

Like a lot of others have said, it definitely depends on your needs and amount of storage space. If you just play live and don't do a lot of recording, I can see how a simple setup, with a couple of versatile guitars would be perfect. However, if you do a lot of recording, having a multitude of guitars and amps to pair together for different tones/textures is almost essential. I personally identify with the latter, but its all about what works for you.

Now, in regard to having one kind of guitar with various different modifications, such as several Jazzmaster's or Telecaster's with different pickup, wiring, bridge, tremolo, etc. If you fell in love with one particular platform, that's one way to create a more varied tone pallet. Although, I think having at least three or four different guitars is a preferable solution. That allows one to cover all the staples, like the 'Fender sound,' the 'Gibson sound' (both P90 and PAF), hollow and/or semi hollow, acoustic, etc. While tweaking parts on one platform can do a lot to change the sound, it will never make a solid body sound like a hollow or semi-hollow, etc.

snatflazin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by snatflazin » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:48 am

I'm sure this has been said here before, but a lot of cyclists struggle with the question of how many bikes they should have. Should they have one good hybrid? Do they need a road bike? Mountain bike? Maybe a single speed commuter bike for around town? Generally, the adage in cycling is this:

The correct number of bikes is n+1 (where n is the number of bikes you already have)

I basically feel the exact same way about guitars :)

Gav Haus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gav Haus » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:05 am

Snap_Jangle_Pop wrote:Like a lot of others have said, it definitely depends on your needs and amount of storage space. If you just play live and don't do a lot of recording, I can see how a simple setup, with a couple of versatile guitars would be perfect. However, if you do a lot of recording, having a multitude of guitars and amps to pair together for different tones/textures is almost essential. I personally identify with the latter, but its all about what works for you.

Now, in regard to having one kind of guitar with various different modifications, such as several Jazzmaster's or Telecaster's with different pickup, wiring, bridge, tremolo, etc. If you fell in love with one particular platform, that's one way to create a more varied tone pallet. Although, I think having at least three or four different guitars is a preferable solution. That allows one to cover all the staples, like the 'Fender sound,' the 'Gibson sound' (both P90 and PAF), hollow and/or semi hollow, acoustic, etc. While tweaking parts on one platform can do a lot to change the sound, it will never make a solid body sound like a hollow or semi-hollow, etc.
I agree in theory... But I do a lot of recording, and there's very little I can't get out of a jag, a jazz, 2 different amps and a shit-tonne of pedals. Ok, I'd struggle for say, a Gibson tone maybe... But then it's not a sound I'd want anyway. Agree entirely for a session guitarist though.
http://wearerichlist.com

gutter rock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gutter rock » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:02 am

I have spent many years accumulating, paring down, then accumulating all over again. It never seems to end. I could be happy with just a jaguar, or should I say Jaguars, they are just too pretty to only have one. I have a Bilt that I had made to my dream specs that I thought would end the cycle... It hasn't. It was my main guitar for over a year though so it got a lot of love. I am at 5 guitars right now but I see two more that I am gonna need. I need a tele and am gassing for a tele deluxe. I need a jag with humbuckers to complete my jag family. This will put me at lucky number seven. This sounds like too many to me, but I do play in two entirely different bands and I need different sounds for each. Plus, every time I pick up a guitar I haven't played for a bit, I write something pretty good. It inspires me to write music which is the whole point of all this gear business anyway, isn't it? I do wish I could be a one or two guitar guy though. I just love guitars. Ever known a gun enthusiast? Ask them how many guns they have and you won't feel so bad about your guitar collection.

Snap_Jangle_Pop
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Snap_Jangle_Pop » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:39 am

Gav Haus wrote: I agree in theory... But I do a lot of recording, and there's very little I can't get out of a jag, a jazz, 2 different amps and a shit-tonne of pedals. Ok, I'd struggle for say, a Gibson tone maybe... But then it's not a sound I'd want anyway. Agree entirely for a session guitarist though.
Yeah, I know a lot of guys who get their sound from a couple of guitars and pedals, and there is nothing wrong with that. Frankly, its a very practical approach. I just prefer the added artistry of picking the perfect guitar and amp combo for a particular song. For me, the recording process becomes its own instrument then. But then again, maybe its just my justification for owning way too many guitars. :)
gutter rock wrote: Ever known a gun enthusiast? Ask them how many guns they have and you won't feel so bad about your guitar collection.
Haha - I live in Texas, and this is so true!

Whiny Minotaur
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Whiny Minotaur » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:17 pm

I have 5 electric guitars and I barely use 2 of them. I record my own music and play with others and I only use my Jaguar and one amp which is mostly enough to cover most of the sounds I need. When I'm feeling 'adventurous' I use my JM with a pu behind the bridge but that's it. The only reason I didn't sell the others yet is because they're too modified, are beaten up and were already cheap as hell to have good resale value.

I would like to get a more ballsy but not too ott sound so I'd probably get an offset or semi hollow with humbuckers or p90s at some point though, after getting rid of some of the guitars I don't use. It's nice to have a lot of guitars, it's fun but it can also be a gigantic waste of money and space
soundcloud.com/kkamaguicrow

rustywire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rustywire » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:40 pm

I would say "as many as you like" since variety is the spice of life.

For me...at least 1 solidbody electric and at least 1 hollowbody electric.
Also at least 1 single pickup guitar.
And at least 1 p90-loaded guitar.
The hunt is on, and on and on...

somebodyelseuk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somebodyelseuk » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:06 pm

I own quite a few - more than 20. I use whatever suits the song best in the studio. I gig only one guitar (and it's identical backup). 'Punters' don't care how big your collection is and they can't tell the difference in their sounds, so I don't see the point in wasting money shipping more than is necessary to do the job for gigging.

If you don't need the money and you have the storage space, keep 'em all. You're the only one of us that has to live with whatever you decide to do.

If the question is being driven by a woman asking how many you need, ask her how many feet she has and if that doesn't stop the discussion kick her ass to the kerb.

CS
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CS » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:57 am

Well I dont need the space or the money or get hassle from Mrs CS. I've just seen a Ride vid on FB broke out the Ric 330 and nailed the sound. That's the guitar that was mostly likely to go. I think the variety comments are right for me.