dumbest trades?

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
burntumber
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

dumbest trades?

Post by burntumber » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:57 am

It happens to all of us at least once.

your paid or traded a chunk of gear for something you thought you wanted,
then down the road you realized what a dumb move!

mine was a trade of a Godin Radiator, Danelectro U2-6, and a Brownsville semi-hollow 12string
I traded it for this Gypsie Jazz, D-hole acoustic.
Wanted it because it had a "different" sound and look than acoustic my friends or I had.

I had it a year and a half, then traded it for a cheap lapsteel, which i sold a year later cuz I just couldn't get into playing it.

a positive trade was an Ebow, and I got a 80's Hondo II MIK strat. the pickups were wider and taller than your average strat, good sound too.

cbrown
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: dumbest trades?

Post by cbrown » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:29 am

My dumbest was a Vox Pathfinder 15 and an old analogue 'Realistic' echo box for...well not so much a trade, just never complained when a friend never gave them back :)

AwesomeWelles
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AwesomeWelles » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:54 am

I traded a vintage Boss pedal (one of the very first DS-1’s) in pristine condition, which was an absolute collector’s item for a “boutique” fuzz pedal that I ended up hating and never used.

On the brighter side of trades I exchanged a Coronado Reissue (which was okay but not great) for a massively upgraded Tele Custom Reissue that has become my favorite guitar.

RuffiansFC
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RuffiansFC » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:51 am

im sure the guy who traded his jagmaster for my squier 51 feels like it was a dumb trade. i see the newly modded 51 on CL every now and then, but he can't give it away.

druunkonego
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by druunkonego » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:25 am

I traded a '72 Tele Deluxe Reissue (MIM) for a P-bass (MIM). Not that I think it was the worst trade ever... My band/studio needed a bass and it sees a lot of action these days but I know those Deluxes tend to go for a hundo or two more than a Mexy P-bass on the used market.

uhu
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by uhu » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:34 am

72 Tele Deluxe thinline (MIM) for a nylon string fender acoustic :fp:
excuse my english

hella1hella
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hella1hella » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:42 am

Highway 1 strat. This guitar played really good, and sounded great. I really miss it. I don't regret getting rid of it but the circumstances leading up to why I got rid of it dont make me regret it. Basically I took it into a local shop to get a setup, and the guy sprayed some sort of cleaner on it that I had never heard of, and it ate the finish right off the guitar. I took it in and they refused to do anything about it but let the same tech "Refinish" the guitar. I agreed because at the time I was young and it was the only alternative I really had financially. It took him almost a year (I argued with the store owner to replace it with the exact model that he had on his floor but he refused). When I got it back the finish was alot darker, the playability was horribe, he swapped out a few saddles on my guitar (almost like he used them for a different project and needed some strat saddles last minute) and the ones he replaced them with were "Aged" and had super long screws on them that dug into your hand something fierce. Anyhow, I miss her.

Second is a boss Bf-1 Flanger. This pedal was in really good condition, and I got it for like $30. I ended up selling it for $250 but I also miss it. Some of the best flange tones I have ever heard.

Up next is an Ibanez Session man SS10. I mainly only used the distortion/overdrive but it sounded soooooo good. I regret getting rid of that pedal, but at the time needed the money for bills

Last but not least is an Ace Tone solid ace (the head and cab version). This was given to me for free by a friend and I played it for a long time. It was probably the best sounding solid state I have ever played. I traded it for a Jackson Dinky...

rhythmjones
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rhythmjones » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:41 am

I've always done pretty good with trades, but I left my 2001 MiM Standard Tele with my recording studio when I quit. I also had equity in most of their gear that I just walked away from. That was pretty stupid. All that stuff is long gone now.

Also, I left my hot pink 1980's Squier Contemporary Strat in a house when I moved out (They were demolishing the house). At that time I was embarrassed by that guitar and hated it. but the pickups were good and the neck was awesome. I only hope some deconstruction worker found it and gave it to his kid or something.
- Mitch

empyrean
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by empyrean » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:50 am

My number #1 Fender Strat for a modified Les Paul Jr. with two P-90s. I was lusting after a LP Jr and a Gibby in general. My Strat had some wiring problem and I had it refretted but it still didn't play quite right.

With my knowledge and tools now, I probably could have fixed it up and have it played great. The Jr wasn't bad, but I had had that strat for a long time.

salty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by salty » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:20 am

I built a 5E5A in an old Hot Rod Deluxe cab and it sounded amazing and I traded it for a MIJ Jazzmaster. It was a decent trade value wise, but man I dream about the tones from that amp. It pops up every once in a while on my local CL, but it always happen when I do not have enough money for it. It keeps going up in price as well. I think I had about 400 dollars in it and last time I saw it pop up they wanted 800 for it. Apparently it went on a world tour with some local musician. I will get it back some day!

Oig
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Oig » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:06 pm

I traded a 1973 Fender Strat for a plywood bodied Washburn Superstrat - 'cause I wanted to play metal. No, really.

What I wouldn't give to have that guitar back. :fp:

AwesomeWelles
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AwesomeWelles » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:38 pm

Oig wrote:I traded a 1973 Fender Strat for a plywood bodied Washburn Superstrat - 'cause I wanted to play metal. No, really.

What I wouldn't give to have that guitar back.

Nooooooo! :o

Mad-Mike
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mad-Mike » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:31 pm

I always feel a little awkward about things concerning buying/selling/trading my gear. It's sort of like letting go of a pleasant piece of history that you know you just might want back some day. While some guitars were not favorites of mine, I still miss them all.

I've been told trading my Fender Jaguar HH Special and Line 6 AX212 for a rebuilt and only 90% original (different paint, different high E tuning key) 1966 Fender Mustang for $1k was a bad idea, but I got 5 years with that guitar before I had to sell it to get my truck fixed last year. I got even more shafted when I sold it, but I needed the money BAD! It was either the Mustang goes, or I don't have a truck to drive to work.

I hated selling my Fender Mustang Bass as well, thankfully there was consolation that I got my Squier VM Bass VI from selling that, which basically replaced it and the two other basses I sold, one of which was the first Bass I ever owned (B.C. Rich Ironbird NJ series from 1987), the other was an Epiphone EB-0 I was not so crazy about.

I think the only guitars I don't miss are the Sears Telecaster, and that's because I made triple profit when I sold it to a well known guitar shop chain (nice move), and my Daisy Rock 12-string, I never ever actually liked that guitar, I always wanted a Fender XII, I'll probably just build one someday like I did my Jazzmaster.

Currently I'm still "thinning the herd" a bit because I do find out of my ridiculous collection for a non-rock-star, I tend to stick to my offsets, Memphis Strat, Telecaster, and Paul Dean most of the time these days.

Oig
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Oig » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:32 pm

AwesomeWelles wrote:
Oig wrote:I traded a 1973 Fender Strat for a plywood bodied Washburn Superstrat - 'cause I wanted to play metal. No, really.

What I wouldn't give to have that guitar back.

Nooooooo!
Yeah, unfortunately it's true. You do crazy-ass stupid stuff as a kid. Around this same time, I also traded an original blackface Deluxe Reverb for a Marshall Valvestate :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp:

The irony is that Strats and a DRRI are the backbone of my rig now. :(

Stratelejazzuar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Stratelejazzuar » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:11 pm

Once I traded a kid at school one of my Transformers for one of his cassette tape Decepticons (Ravage the cat one, I think) that went with Soundwave...

Anyway, somehow my mom found out and I think we ended up going to this kid's house and our mom's made us trade back. I guess it wasn't "fair" because I traded a normal toy for a small one... :-[

That being said, I remember the one I wanted, got, and had to give back, but not the one I willingly gave up. Probably was a good trade, but I got mom'ed into trading back. :-/

:D