Let's play .... can you name that new instrument?

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Let's play .... can you name that new instrument?

Post by sookwinder » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:20 am

A couple of members may know immediately because of conversations, but for the rest of you adventurers below is the first clue. (more clues to follow):

relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Let's play .... can you name that new instrument?

Post by Despot » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:25 am

Cedar top and nylon strings ...

A Spanish guitar of some kind?

Squirrel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Squirrel » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:40 am

Ukelele maybe?

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:02 am

I recuse myself from this conversation. :shifty:
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:45 am

ding ding ding we have a winner.
It is a tenor Ukulele.

I bought it from a store on Aliexpress who can order directly with the ENYA factory from southern China, Huizhou in the Gwondong (Canton) province.
I tried initially contacting them directly but even though they sell internationally and a re a pretty big manufacturer of Ukes and other small Spanish guitars, their ability to reply in English is basically zero.

So I managed to find a store on aliexpress who can order them. This model , the EUT K5A is actually a 2015 model that is out of production, but I was able to get one manufactured for me. It did have to have the 2017 style bridge, but that is OK.

The specs are:
Manufacturer: ENYA
http://www.enyamusical.com/sy/index_61.html
26-inch Tenor size
Mahogany/Rosewood neck/Headstock with real MOP shell inlay
Fingerboard: Ebony inlay Hawaii flower
Top: Grade AAAAA solid Tiger-stripe Koa real MOP shell inlay
Back & sides: Grade AAAA solid Tiger-stripe Koa real MOP shell inlay
Bridge: Ebony
Tuners: Korean agate buttons in golden classical tuner
Nut &compensation saddle:Spanish bone
Binding: Rosewood red line with shell inlay
Finish: hand polished hi-gloss
piezo pickup under the saddle and a microphone inside the body (the mic can be turned up or down)

Initially it was manufactured without the pickup system and I was informed that "customers must ask for a pickup if they want one installed".
I then pointed out that I had informed them (on a total of five different communications including the payment via paypal instructions) so the Uke was returned to the factory and then the pickup/mic set up installed (more on that in a minutes)

It did though highlight the fundamental adage when dealing with these "new to western customers" factories and sellers that one must continuously confirm what one has ordered. It is better to be a nagging customer than someone who doesn't get what they ordered.

I did ask the "go between" aliexpress store about whether I could order a customisation feature on a second Uke (If I ever decide to buy another) ... I was thinking about a palm tree rather than the flower inlay and maybe WOOKIE 004 on the back of the headstock, but after a week, rather than the price I had asked for, I was total ... sorry minimum order 10 units.
This shows me they just do not get it... they assumed that I could not afford the cost for an individual customised Uke and there fore the only response was their minimum bulk purchase number.... the truth be told the cost for a single custom uke would not be that much, given how cheap I now understand guitar/uke costs are in China. Oh well I did but ask.

The other thing I discovered was that the order was placed by the lady from aliexpress who lives in Tianjin, the port city near Beijing. (2/3 up the east coast of China. The factory is in Guongdong, down near Hong Kong. But the Uke was shipped from GuongDong... so that tells me:
(1) the order was placed and it was always going to be shipped directly from the factory to me
(2) the photos I received to confirm everything was OK ... which was when I realised the pickup system was not installed ... must have been taken by the factory and not the "go between"
(3) it was then very easy just to stick the Uke back into the factory production line and have the pickup system installed

It took 3 1/2 days to get from China to my front door!

The finish is awesome, I am still getting used to playing a Uke... obviously different feel and tuning to a regular guitar.
On the weekend I shall stick some "low G" strings on it
Already plugged it into an amp and made some great sounds.

Here are some more pics that I took this evening just before the sun set.
On the weekend I shall take some more over all shots.

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:29 pm

OK here are some more shots... and yes there are too many... but what the hell ... it's a cute little instrument.

When I initially ordered the Uke I was hoping to get one of their awesome little cases, but it seems they no longer make them... unless of course I want a special order of a minimum of 100 units !

so I ordered one of these off amazon... will actually be a safer option, but not as cute.

in no particular order ....

Gordon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gordon » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:15 pm

Ukes are fun little instruments (I'm partial to sopranos, though)... :)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPMuiXVDHIQ/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Graphic designer (comics stuff, Doctor Who, Star Wars...): https://www.instagram.com/monsieurgordon/ \o/

MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MKR » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:58 am

Gordon wrote:Ukes are fun little instruments (I'm partial to sopranos, though)...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPMuiXVDHIQ/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nice. yeah i have a soprano uke too. part of the appeal for me is having something that is so small and portable.

Langwich
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Langwich » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:24 pm

Gordon wrote:Ukes are fun little instruments (I'm partial to sopranos, though)...

Ahh, a Koaloha. My first ukulele was one of their pineapples. My wife claims it as hers now . . .

I'm pretty much a soprano player too. I've played concerts and tenors, and they just don't have the "ukulele" sound to me. Well, the concert sort of does. But I prefer the limitation of the sopranos, and the shorter scale which allows me to stretch and reach positions I wouldn't be able to on larger sizes.

Ukuleles - good sounds, good times.

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:54 am

that's a beautiful instrument!

we have a cheap soprano uke. my daughter plays it alot...it sounds great!
If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...