Are modern Gretsch guitars good?

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Are modern Gretsch guitars good?

Post by jakeisjake » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:23 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:05 am
jakeisjake wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:12 am
and, if I have heard correctly, EVERY electric guitar part on Quadrophenia and Who's Next is recorded with a 6120.
That's true, the guitar met a bad end.

Although according to this, he had the guitar fixed and continued to use it in the studio for decades after that.
"It got broken by accident. I trod on it" ha!
If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

bah humbuck
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bah humbuck » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:08 am

All I know is, I innocently suggested naming our daughter Gretschen and now I’m sleeping on the couch!

dezb1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dezb1 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:01 pm

Yes

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:43 pm

I had an MIJ Duo Jet that was unbelievably well made. It was probably the nicest guitar I've ever owned and I'm an idiot for selling it.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

Debaser
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Debaser » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:07 pm

I’m a Gretsch guy. That’s meaningless though because whatever Gretsch/FMIC tries to market itself, it doesn’t matter to me. Modern Gretsch guitars are good deals at every price point.

I’d do that trade in a heart beat, but I need to see the guitar and play it to be sure. FWIW, I own and modded many Gretsch guitars. I started with pre-FMIC Electromatic trash (they really sucked back then, around 2000), but still it looked right. I by no means aim to collect but I horse traded enough, and owned a small sample of the current lineups since 2000. I own a MIJ ‘59 VS Chet 6120, and ‘53 VS Duo Jet, I won’t part with them, and they sure as shit ain’t niche. I also have a vintage Corvette, and eyeball vintage Streamliners/Electros all day. Ok, some of the funky stuff is not going to out Tele a Tele, but this is the Offset forum, bridge problems are a fact of life.

There’s too much ground to cover to explain the Gretsch minutiae, as much as I’d like to nerd out. The only advice I’d say is don’t worry about it. You need a car, work on that. If you have to think about the resale of the WF, then maybe just keep what you got. Yes, it will take a little longer to sell it off compared to a JM, but at those prices, nothing moves fast.

MIJ Gretsch are some of finest guitars you can buy, but you have to know what you getting and what you value in the Gretsch. The models are as tonally varied as Gibson and Fender, and many have a clout and style all their own. Spending time with this Falcon is the only answer, then you wont bother asking anyone should you, shouldn’t you. You’ll figure out if it’s for you.

Oh yeah, I got a new Gretsch today, wanna see it? I don’t need this, but it was half priced. Shit, I have a Gretsch problem, don’t tell anybody :blush:

Come to think of it, pop some Filtertrons in this and you’ll be in DC Falcon land, except the color, center block and scale length, IIRC. We ain’t even getting into the Bigsby differences...

50,000 watts out of Mexico, this is the BorderRadio...