guitar pet peeves

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: guitar pet peeves

Post by MechaBulletBill » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:11 am

Larry Mal wrote:
andy_tchp wrote:Locking tuners.
You'd hate me, then... fuck non-locking tuners.

I guess put me down for that. I have no idea why tuner technology is little more advanced than it was hundreds of years ago.
Split-shaft tuners or bust!

sears
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sears » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:22 am

Guitarists. amiright?
maskedsuperstar.bandcamp.com

noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by noisepunk » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:05 am

sears wrote:Guitarists. amiright?
This guy gets it.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:33 am

1. manufacturers who mostly focus on the 2 biggest members of the guitar market.... metal and blooze. like if it can do those, they can do anything.
2. small combos that have extension speaker outs that shut off the combo speaker. sometimes you just want the sound you got but with a bit more volume that having an extra speaker brings.
3. "sounds great with a tube screamer boosting it" fuck off, i want a amp i can use as a real base for my pedals.
4. guitar players who use the phrase "your too good to be playing x" have you ever considered i play the music i like and that guitar playing is not like a j-rpg where you level up and eventually become a shred god
5. people who say "it does'nt shred so it's a bad guitar"
6. guitar players who use the word "mojo" un-ironically.
7. does it djent? but does it djent? no, my jazzmaster does not djent.
8. "i dont get jazzmasters, they're meant to be unreliable anyway" i hear this fucker all the time.
9. "women can never be as good as men when playing guitar"
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:15 am

^^ Where do you find people who spout that rubbish?

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:11 am

MechaBulletBill wrote:^^ Where do you find people who spout that rubbish?
you would be amazed. usually in guitar shops or "friends of friends" it's why if i can help it, i usually try to ask for the soundproof rooms. saying that, i've had cases where people have been amazed at the fact most my guitars are parts guitars that work so well. i hate to say this but my bandmate gemma hates going into guitar shops without me because she usually gets assholes spouting sexist BS even though she usually knows way more about songwriting and the gear she is going to try than most people. i've mentioned this story but one time we were trying a pedal out..... i think it was her mxr blue box script logo. some guys came into the booth we were in saying "awww, a girl who plays guitar, how cute. i bet you dont even know much about the gear you play" and one of gemma's best moments came at this point. "bitch, i know that the sound of a set of well calibrated lipstick pickups into a bluebox which i am planning to mod with the c11 mod to along with my modded DIL chip ds1 with keely mod will ring truer than any of your sexist bullshit ever will"
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

soggy mittens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by soggy mittens » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:09 pm

^^^^fukin REKT!! *fist bumps gemma* :P
If OSG has tort me anything...

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:40 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
andy_tchp wrote:Locking tuners.
You'd hate me, then... fuck non-locking tuners.

I guess put me down for that. I have no idea why tuner technology is little more advanced than it was hundreds of years ago.
Ha, not at all!

Two of my most played guitars have locking tuners... I've just never come across any that are as easy to use as the 'vintage' style split shaft/'Kluson' type, nor any that provide any appreciable improvement in tuning stability or usability when actually tuning to pitch.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:49 pm

i think it's funny that people talk about tuning stability when they have a poorly cut nut. its like "no shit your guitar is going out of tune"

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:49 pm

s_mcsleazy wrote:2. small combos that have extension speaker outs that shut off the combo speaker. sometimes you just want the sound you got but with a bit more volume that having an extra speaker brings.
This one gets me too.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:22 pm

Oh, Gemma! :-*

You can just put "guitar shops" on my list of peeves. Fuck going into them. If they don't want to lose my business to online retailers, they can damn well make going into them an experience that isn't consistently unpleasant.

I kinda wish I were interested in running one, because a music shop "for women" would be a joy to work in. All the guys with their fragile masculinity afraid to so much as walk in the door. Such sweet, sweet relief it would be...
This is an excellent rectangle

Hyphen Nation
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Hyphen Nation » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:55 pm

mackerelmint wrote:Oh, Gemma!

You can just put "guitar shops" on my list of peeves. Fuck going into them. If they don't want to lose my business to online retailers, they can damn well make going into them an experience that isn't consistently unpleasant.

I kinda wish I were interested in running one, because a music shop "for women" would be a joy to work in. All the guys with their fragile masculinity afraid to so much as walk in the door. Such sweet, sweet relief it would be...
Apologies for a slight derail...My wife and I talk about this for music shops and woodworking/hardware type shops. My wife is brilliant, and a great maker [masterful artist]. If I am standing near her in this one wood shop, the guys working there talk to me instead of her...yet she's the one buying the tools/asking advice, and I'm convinced Home Depot or Ace hardware only know how to talk down to women. We literally talked about opening a home improvement center for women.

Didn't you live in Portland, though? Old Town Music and Trade up are great, and full of pretty smart guys who treat women like peers, or in the case of trade up, is staffed with super knowledgeable women. Same with Emerald City up in Seattle. Cool smart girls and guys working there.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:34 pm

Hyphen Nation wrote:
mackerelmint wrote:Oh, Gemma!

Apologies for a slight derail...My wife and I talk about this for music shops and woodworking/hardware type shops. My wife is brilliant, and a great maker [masterful artist]. If I am standing near her in this one wood shop, the guys working there talk to me instead of her...yet she's the one buying the tools/asking advice, and I'm convinced Home Depot or Ace hardware only know how to talk down to women. We literally talked about opening a home improvement center for women.

Didn't you live in Portland, though? Old Town Music and Trade up are great, and full of pretty smart guys who treat women like peers, or in the case of trade up, is staffed with super knowledgeable women. Same with Emerald City up in Seattle. Cool smart girls and guys working there.
Trade up is NOT great. I was consistently ignored there, even standing in front of the counter with cash in hand, getting the cashier's attention. He decided that talking to his friend who wasn't buying anything came first. I never went back after that. Centaur treated me well enough. I just hated going there because Sandy is such a colossal inconvenience to be in, on, or around. I never once went to old town, that name just has some horrible associations for me and another establishment with "old town" in its name. :bored:

Hyphen Nation
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Hyphen Nation » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:45 pm

mackerelmint wrote: Trade up is NOT great. I was consistently ignored there, even standing in front of the counter with cash in hand, getting the cashier's attention. He decided that talking to his friend who wasn't buying anything came first. I never went back after that. Centaur treated me well enough. I just hated going there because Sandy is such a colossal inconvenience to be in, on, or around. I never once went to old town, that name just has some horrible associations for me and another establishment with "old town" in its name.
That is gross about Trade Up. That sucks. That is the weird SE thing, too. I actually stood for 15 minutes trying to buy new tires for my bike at that bike co-op on Ankeny while the person behind the counter talked to their friend. I put the tires back, and walked out...$100 sale they were out of.

My wife shops for me at Old Town and she likes the guys. I trust her read/experience with them, and I've seen them help plenty girls find gear...and it's not like the other place you are referencing with old town in it's name....though I want to hear that story now...

Regardless, there shouldn't be room for culturally accepted sexism in any kind of retail environment...hipster or not. :)

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:07 am

Well, there's this godawful cafe in the town where I spent my formative years call the old town. And it was crunchy. Barely any meat on the menu, "home fries" with everything, 29 grain bread for your toast. So every time friends would want to go out to breakfast, one person would whine about wanting to go to the old town and I was the only one with taste buds, I guess. Anyway, every time old town music was mentioned, my brain filled in a picture of acoustic guitars and hammer dulcimers and shit. Because the name is just associated with hippie stuff for me. Funny because it was the most conveniently located place to me, but my brain would squeeze it out of my mental list of options. Such is the strength of my disdain for hippies.