Straps

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Baldy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Straps

Post by Baldy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:32 am

I've seen many beautiful offsets on this site but how do you dress em?
How do you choose your straps, because they match the instrument finish, your style of music, personal style, comfort? Do you have more than one for each guitar?

What's the most unique website you've found for straps?

Show me your straps..

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Straps

Post by HNB » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:04 am

I like couch straps. They hold the guitar in place well and come in a variety of colors and patterns.

Image20170908_185654 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr

Image20170407_143354 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr

Image20170410_170259_Burst01 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20161231_164736 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

Baldy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Baldy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:14 am

Great choices, these straps really go well with their partners.
I like all of them, particularly the first one on the burst, they just compliment each other very well.

Thanks for sharing :)

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:09 am

I bought this 60s Bobby Lee strap to go on a Competition Blue Mustang that's now sold...

It ended up suiting my custom Tele better than I could've ever hoped. I think it's the perfect match!
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

Baldy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Baldy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:48 am

Another great pairing, love the strap and the tele, oh block inlays :-*
I'm kinda looking at a similar type for a burst.. Your example may have just sold me

I seem to spend as much time searching through strap websites as I do for guitars, is it just me :unsure:

Thanks for posting...
Last edited by Baldy on Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Squirrel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Squirrel » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:49 am

I try and find vintage straps from the same kind of time period as the guitar, and which kind of match the colour/style. I've got an entire box full of them as every time I find a vintage strap for sale, I always buy it just in case I later end up buying a guitar that suits it.

I also bought one of those Couch straps with the cats on it, but it's fucked up the finish on every guitar I've put it on, regardless of whether it's nitro or poly. :fp:

Baldy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Baldy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:04 am

:D I love that logic, I have a strap that I need guitar for :D would you mind if I used it sometime..

The strap on the center Gibson REALLY looks good, fits perfectly. Is the orange one to the right a Gretsch?
And the one on the far left, is that a Red Momkey strap?

Thanks for sharing, they look fabulous

Edit: Those protective bags that you have on your stands are a great idea, do they prevent damage to nitro finishes by any chance?
Last edited by Baldy on Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:05 am

I recently bought a souldier strap based on its good looks. It seems nice if you like the feel of seat belt material. I prefer my Levi's 'vintage' strap, because it's cotton with very soft leather around where it sits on my shoulder. I care more about looks for a strap. I'm fine with the feel of most cheap straps, but I won't use something that's thick/stiff leather. Only thin or well-worn and soft leather. Sorry no pictures of either strap I own (I still don't know how to post pics), but the Levi's one is 'vintage hootenany" and the souldier is "medallion" with dark red back

Baldy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Baldy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:19 am

Single blade, I'm kinda in the same boat, I'm trying to find an image host that doesn't post my images all over hell & high water, or that doesn't redirect to advertising sites.

Thanks for the info on your straps, I'll look forward to seeing them when you get up and running..

Squirrel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Squirrel » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:35 am

Baldy wrote:I love that logic, I have a strap that I need guitar for would you mind if I used it sometime..

The strap on the center Gibson REALLY looks good, fits perfectly. Is the orange one to the right a Gretsch?
And the one on the far left, is that a Red Momkey strap?

Thanks for sharing, they look fabulous

Edit: Those protective bags that you have on your stands are a great idea, do they prevent damage to nitro finishes by any chance?
Thanks! yeah, the guitars on the left and right are Gretsch. There aren't any names on any of the straps but all 3 are from around the 1960s. Those are actually just old t shirts over the stands, and yeah they're to stop the foam on the stands from eating away at the nitro. They do the job well enough!

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:49 am

A few years back I bought a load of Souldier straps. I got a notion into my head to buy a few in different colours covering the different colours of guitars that I had at the time - all (more or less) vintage type patterns.

As I've sold, bought and traded guitars I've always kept the straps and swap them around between guitars - and I think I actually have more straps than I really need at the moment (the guitar horde has been thinned through common sense, finally).

My Jazzmaster and ES345 have those owl pattern straps that Souldier make - the rest are random patterns.

Baldy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Baldy » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:12 am

Squirrel wrote: Thanks! yeah, the guitars on the left and right are Gretsch. There aren't any names on any of the straps but all 3 are from around the 1960s. Those are actually just old t shirts over the stands, and yeah they're to stop the foam on the stands from eating away at the nitro. They do the job well enough!
Really, they look like they were made for this purpose, good idea

Despot: until now I didn't even know that there were vintage straps to be had, but it's a good idea to match the same year strap with its host, you do know that this is the sign of true collector syndrome :D

Yes sir, I hear ya, regarding thinning down our "stuff" to reasonable levels.. I've been thinking the same about my situation.. :fp:

Thanks for contributing guys..

Grey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Grey » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:19 am

I've been using those "fender deluxe vintage" skinny straps for years. I've never been particularly fussy about it, I think they look classy with almost any guitar and outfit and the shoulder pad is reasonably comfortable so i've never had a reason to look elsewhere. I do also have a Mono seatbelt strap (literally a seatbelt) but it doesn't get much use. It's nice I just don't need it.

Baldy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Baldy » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:47 am

Hi Grey,

Yes, you're right, they do look classy and definitely have the 60s vibe. Apart from also suiting the offsets..

I watched an old Elvis movie the other day, I think it was Clambake, and yeah, they're corny, but I love em :D
Anyhow, there is a scene at a house party where the "band" are using new Jaguars in 3TB, they're also using the fender skinny strap.. Which actually reflects the time period as I feel that these straps were designed for being worn over a sport/suit jacket, to be indiscreet and not mess up the lapel.
In this same scene, you could see the fender amps, one was a twin reverb and the other was, I think, a blue face four speaker model.

On yet another part of the movie, the real band were using daphne blue mustangs or duo sonics. It's pretty interesting to see and if you notice, none of the fenders are marked with the fender logo, all blank.
Ahh the good times before 28 hour forced advertising ;)

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:54 am

My kid watches "Jake and the Neverland Pirates" and there's a pirate guy who plays fender jaguars and strats and Disney always makes him cover up the headstock logo. Disney also uses a Pear-shaped logo on laptops in their shows instead of just showing them using a mac. Not that they don't advertise other things like crazy, but maybe logos are sacred somehow.