Yamaha SA 50b

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Ready Stance
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Yamaha SA 50b

Post by Ready Stance » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:50 pm

Thanks. I'll definitely check it out. I've used Buyee for some purchases, but need to check out Jauce. Appreciate the tip.

This board reminded me of another quirky issue that I'd like to solve, but have gotten nowhere with search attempts.
I assume it's another case of Yamaha's unique parts:
Unlike my 30 or 50, the SA 15 actually has a post-mounted bridge. It's in desperate need of replacement, but the posts are much farther apart than any standard footprint. Probably an extra half inch or more. Anyone encountered this, or have suggestions that would allow me to use existing posts?
Worst-case, I guess I could just adapt a plate to mount bridge on.
Conversely, the other SA's have wooden bridge risers. I'd like to do all metal on the less original SA-50. I'd welcome any advice or cautionary info.
Only prior experience was adding posts to a Guild Starfire which improved tone mightily.
Anyway- opinions welcomed. Hope I can reciprocate here at some point!

wproffitt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wproffitt » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:36 pm

On my SA-30, I just unscrewed the old bridge base from its very broadly spaced mounts and our on a standard wooden base to which I affixed my Compton. The new base covers up the old holes just fine. I don’t see why a metal bridge (or something like what I did wouldn’t work for the SA15 too, but I have no specific experience with this guitar. ;D Do you have any photos so I can compare?

Ready Stance
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Ready Stance » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:43 pm

Thanks! Interesting. I wish I'd compared them side by side. SA15 bridge is fundamentally different than the nylon-roller type on SA-30 & 50. At a a glance the footprint of body-mounted posts seemed wider than riser-mounted. It's at studio, but I'll be there this week and will post some shots.

SuperAxe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SuperAxe » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:59 pm

Ready Stance wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:38 pm
OSG has always been a great resource for my JM's and Jags, but foolishly hadn't considered these pages for info about my beloved SA's!
I absolutely want to second the motion and tip my hat to Supposed String Meister! Thanks for the great work and for being the only comprehensive resource I've found.
Thank you Sir, that is a great compliment. I have not worked on the web site for quite a while now... new job, summer fishing, etc. Must get back into it and add some new info on the SA-20 and SA-5.

SuperAxe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SuperAxe » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:05 am

mynameisjonas wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:01 am
Wow, that's nice! :-*

I'm so used to my trainwreck SA-20, it's really weird seeing one that hasn't been on fire. :D
I had a good look at your trainwreck. My SA-30 trainwreck was probably worse than yours and had been in a fire as well. I restored it to a beautiful looking blonde!

Quiz - Do you know why the SA-20 is so well balanced when you are playing it, ie, the headstock end doesn't pull down?