New PRS Silver Sky

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New PRS Silver Sky

Post by Embenny » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:38 am

ThePearDream wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:27 pm
mbene085 wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:19 pm
Yeah, but your avatar is The Bad Doctor so you obviously have good taste!
Obviously.
And your Pinback album avatar tells me that you are clearly a man of discerning taste.
KITH and Pinback, what more could you need?
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:12 pm

shadowplay wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:30 am
Hmm I find I have enough records to be buying without running down rabbitholes I know are fruitless. I pretty much avoid talking music with civilians, going way back, back as far as StevenO's high school. I let them talk about their 'vinyls' and their bands I know I won't like and leave them to it. I've friends that I love who I'd never take a musical recommendation from if we both lived for a thousand years but I'd hang on their words on many other subjects.

Music is my thing, I buy more than a record a day, so it's probably a waste of my time either taking tips from someone who is casual about it or who over time has demonstrated a tin ear to the sort of things I might like. This isn't rude or closed minded, merely experience. Of course there's a chance I've missed something but I spend a lot of time checking out new releases and at least lay eyes on most every record coming into the shops I use and I've been doing that for decades, so I've probably not missed much, though I do find I miss some digital only releases.

D
I totally get where you're coming from. I know if something is a waste of my own time generally (going to bars, etc.). And I'm glad you didn't think I was saying you're closed-minded, because I definitely wasn't. There's something to be said for experience, which you've certainly got from the stories you've told about your more formative years, and I know you're a but older than I am too.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

higgsblossom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by higgsblossom » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:11 am

budda12ax7 wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:43 pm
Yngwie plays with the Japanese Philharmonic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9HTATjVcO0
I just had the time to watch this. Ok, I hereby take back every positive word about him I ever wrote in this thread. This is just nonsense. If there is a conductor, why not follow him? It seems like he doesn't care too much about the other musicians.
"500€? That's the price of a J Mascis Jazzmaster!"

sears
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sears » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:39 am

shadowplay wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:06 am
Oh and while I'm on there's been a few comments about the quality of posting in this thread along the lines of; 'Man this thread is something else', 'killer thread'and about it being 'cringey' and all this would be absolutey fine if any of these folk were actually posting material of immense quality themselves

I get a feeling that this forum could be doing with some quality threads started by these people, who cleary know shit from shine and perhaps some Oscar Wilde level posts of gold standard banter brushed with the diamond dust of their wisdom will raise the tone.

D
Can I rage-quit now? :-* I get it. Most people only notice the annoying things I say but it's really only 10-15% of my, uh, output. I like Andrew W.K! How could I fit in here? Am I taking this post too personally?
maskedsuperstar.bandcamp.com

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:29 pm

sears wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:39 am
shadowplay wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:06 am
Oh and while I'm on there's been a few comments about the quality of posting in this thread along the lines of; 'Man this thread is something else', 'killer thread'and about it being 'cringey' and all this would be absolutey fine if any of these folk were actually posting material of immense quality themselves

I get a feeling that this forum could be doing with some quality threads started by these people, who cleary know shit from shine and perhaps some Oscar Wilde level posts of gold standard banter brushed with the diamond dust of their wisdom will raise the tone.

D
Can I rage-quit now? :-* I get it. Most people only notice the annoying things I say but it's really only 10-15% of my, uh, output. I like Andrew W.K! How could I fit in here? Am I taking this post too personally?
I was a trifle brusque but I was trying to make a serious point about discussion. This thread wandered off from the guitar but to me that mirrors most every interesting conversation I've ever had with an interesting group of humans. I guess it got a little fruity but some folk made some effort to articulate their position and without it this thread and many threads would be dry affairs imo.

Of course other folk might prefer a sort of +1 brodude (insert Keanu Reeves meme here) forum culture but speaking purely personally I prefer to engage with people longhand and free of memes and platitudes, just as I don't head down the pub with a handy stack of pictorial flash cards in lieu of actually having something to say.

I'd also like to add a little footnote to the (dis)Mayer disdain, I personally don't really feel one way or another about John Mayer in particular, he's not out and about bothering me in daily life and the encounters I've be had with his music were voluntarily checking him out to see what the fuss was, much like all the other guitar magazine cover heroes over the years ive checked out in the name of science and never bought a record by.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

sears
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sears » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:30 am

I have found that the fewer words I say, the better. "killer thread" was supposed to be funny but humor explained never works even if it's funny in the first place.

I think BBSs need lampreys like me.
maskedsuperstar.bandcamp.com

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:28 am

Wanna sound like John Mayer? Now you can:
https://reverb.com/news/potent-pairings ... john-mayer

kdanie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kdanie » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:10 am

Well, I just popped in to the last page of this wondering how a copy of a Strat got 11 pages... I went back and skimmed them all, ouch-that's part of my life I'll never get back.

As Shadowplay stated conversations evolve. In the motorhead world it's called "bench racing" and what starts on one topic ends hours later on a completely unrelated topic, that's the nature of conversation.

As far as bashing musicians or music genres, music is VERY personal, even tribal-like politics- but if someone doesn't like your favorite it's not a personal attack on YOU. I'm in the minority here, I LIKE Santana, Clapton, some SRV but I don't take it as an attack on ME when you all don't. I'm not a fan of the traditional offset bands like MBV, I'm too old for that. I also like some modern country (GASP!!!). I LOVE surf... OSG showed me the way to modern surf, thanks...

With all the pedals & effects used in the Reverb video you could play that on an LP and nobody would notice. A strat with dove markers and 3x3 headstock is still a strat. I'll build my own Signature strat with offset waist, JM trem and my own 3x3 headstock just for fun and it will be more unique than the PRS strat that "set the guitar world ablaze", had to laugh at that one.

Did I mention that Queen SUCKS big hairy donkey..... that one is for Larry.

ken
Life is an adventure, not something to be suffered through. Don't like your life? FIX it!

higgsblossom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by higgsblossom » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:40 am

If music were only a personal taste thing, then why music critics?
I know that there must be some objective criteria.

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:08 am

higgsblossom wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:40 am
If music were only a personal taste thing, then why music critics?
I know that there must be some objective criteria.
Is this post serious? Music critics are (if you're cynical) for promotion of the artists/label, the critic, and the review publisher - money; it can also be out of genuine interest of the critic, or the critic's sense that the review itself is a form of art. Either way, there is NO objective way to judge something that IS purely a matter of taste. If someone likes something a critic hates, neither of them are "wrong".

higgsblossom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by higgsblossom » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:23 am

Sorry I thought the sarcasm was obvious 8)

Fac 50
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fac 50 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:44 am

kdanie wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:10 am
Well, I just popped in to the last page of this wondering how a copy of a Strat got 11 pages... I went back and skimmed them all, ouch-that's part of my life I'll never get back.

As Shadowplay stated conversations evolve. In the motorhead world it's called "bench racing" and what starts on one topic ends hours later on a completely unrelated topic, that's the nature of conversation.

As far as bashing musicians or music genres, music is VERY personal, even tribal-like politics- but if someone doesn't like your favorite it's not a personal attack on YOU. I'm in the minority here, I LIKE Santana, Clapton, some SRV but I don't take it as an attack on ME when you all don't. I'm not a fan of the traditional offset bands like MBV, I'm too old for that. I also like some modern country (GASP!!!). I LOVE surf... OSG showed me the way to modern surf, thanks...

With all the pedals & effects used in the Reverb video you could play that on an LP and nobody would notice. A strat with dove markers and 3x3 headstock is still a strat. I'll build my own Signature strat with offset waist, JM trem and my own 3x3 headstock just for fun and it will be more unique than the PRS strat that "set the guitar world ablaze", had to laugh at that one.

ken
I'm in even more of a minority here - I'm equally happy to spend time with Cream/Clapton,/blues-rock at one end of the spectrum and I dunno, Clock DVA, say, at the other. Taking in Gram Parsons/hard-to-find British freakbeat, Studio One, Stax and obscure Factory Records bands on the way. I make a point of checking out as much as possible and I've even taken note of recommendations from 'civilians*' along the way. (*unnecessarily elitist term IMHO)

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:49 am

higgsblossom wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:23 am
Sorry I thought the sarcasm was obvious 8)
Ha it probably was...it's sometimes hard for me to tell with strangers on the web. Some people definitely feel this way though. Everyone I know thinks they're tastes are the best.

mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mediocreplayer » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:02 am

kdanie wrote:

I hate Queen! Probably the second shittiest major band after Led Zeppelin.

BlueSparkle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlueSparkle » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:16 am

mediocreplayer wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:02 am
kdanie wrote:

I hate Queen! Probably the second shittiest major band after Led Zeppelin.
3rd... you forgot KISS 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
:o)
----
'95 JDMJMCS Blue Sparkle w/ McNelly 46/58's.
other non-offsets.