New PRS Silver Sky

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
kdanie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New PRS Silver Sky

Post by kdanie » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:00 am

shadowplay wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:39 am

It's the same with cars. I'm really not interested in talking about your car having wifi or what your white goods leasing deal is, I'm interested in whether you prefer Pininfarina, Touring or Zagato coach work on a Lancia and I fully accept that these sort of conversations are vanishingly rare and to be cherished.

D

*in a fairly art and style driven neuk
I never cared much for fancy coach work, I'm a nuts & bolts kind of guy. Cams/heads/pistons/compression ratio/rod length vs stroke ratio/tubular header dimensions and much more. At one point about 8-10 years ago I had the most visited web site on the net about exhaust header design & construction. There was very little info out there until I did the research and wrote a few articles and posted them on my own website (long gone). I don't know if it's still around on archive.org or not.

ken
Life is an adventure, not something to be suffered through. Don't like your life? FIX it!

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:24 pm

Anyone seen one in real life yet ?

BlueSparkle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlueSparkle » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:45 pm

windmill wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:24 pm
Anyone seen one in real life yet ?
AFAIK none have arrived downunder yet. All the stores are rehashing the same bullshit rhetoric press release like they do for every new guitar until it turns up.... then we get the in-house shill reviews on store websites, in order to flog the dead horse and convert the hype and bullshit into sales revenue.

This is the exact same marketing crap in every result in the top 5 google hits on"PRS SILVER SKY SYDNEY PRICE" here:
Paul Reed Smith (PRS) Silver Sky Electric Guitar

The PRS Silver Sky is the result of a close collaboration between Grammy Award-winning musician John Mayer and Paul Reed Smith. More than two and half years in the making, the Silver Sky is a vintage-inspired instrument that is at once familiar but also newly PRS through and through. This model was based off of Mayer and Smith’s favorite elements from 1963 and 1964 vintage instruments, resulting in an idealized version of a vintage single-coil guitar. The attention that was paid to every detail sets this guitar apart.

Some of the more distinctive specifications include, the headstock shape, tuners, neck and fretboard, bridge, and pickups and electronics. The headstock shape is based on PRS’s trademark design, but inverted to both accommodate Mayer’s playing style and also to keep a consistent length of string behind the nut, which makes staying in tune easier. The tuners are a traditional vintage-style, closed-back tuner, but with PRS’s locking design. The neck shape was modeled after 1963/1964 vintage instruments, and the fretboard has a 7.25” radius. The moment your hand grabs this neck, it just feels right. Like the tuners, the steel tremolo takes a classic design and incorporates PRS’s trem arm and Gen III knife-edge screws. The bridge on the Silver Sky is setup flush to the body in the neutral position so that the tremolo bridge only goes down in pitch. By keeping the bridge in contact with the body, the guitar itself is acoustically louder, which improves the signal to noise ratio of the single-coil pickups. The 635JM single-coil pickups are very round and full, with a musical high end that is never “ice-picky” or brash.

Other high-quality specifications include a bone nut, a molded metal jack plate that is curved and makes plugging and unplugging a guitar cable hassle-free, retooled knobs, fretwire that is slightly smaller than what you’d find on most PRS electric guitars, and PRS’s double action truss rod (accessible from the front of the headstock for ease of use).

The Silver Sky comes in four colors with distinctive accents on PRS’s trademark lower horn scoop.

Body

Body Wood Alder
Neck

# of Frets 22
Scale Length 25.5”
Neck Wood Maple
Fretboard Wood Rosewood
Neck Shape 635JM
Nut Width 1 21/32”
Neck Width at the Body 2 7/32”
Neck Depth at the Nut 53/64”
Fretboard Radius 7.25”
Inlays Small Birds
Hardware

Nut Bone
Bridge Steel Tremolo
String Spacing 2 9/64”
Tuners Vintage Style, Locking
Hardware Type Nickel
Treble Pickup 635JM
Middle Pickup 635JM
Bass Pickup 635JM
Pickup Switching One Volume & Two Tones with a 5-Way Blade Pickup Switch
Finishes:*indicates opaque color Onyx*, Horizon*, Tungsten*, Frost*

So not only are stores just copy/paste/shill, they haven't even added their own individual store "flair".

It has been over-cooked, and we get a lot of that here. It's part of the reason I am so cynical about anything thats talked about but cannot be touched by a normal person in a store.

And if the store owners are the kind who put it in a glass case with a "please ask staff for assistance" then it's going to get even less interest from me.

I said as much to my local store guys, who routinely do this with new american elite series / pro series strats and teles, and les pauls or 6100 series gretsch's etc etc.

I'm straight up with them, and they know it. They have had plenty of my money in years past. The rule is simple. I have told them "if you aren't going to make the instrument accessible without hassle, then you're not going to see any of my money"...

to say it has changed their attitude towards me when I walk in is to understate the situation. I do feel for the less 'direct' people who walk in and don't touch anything because there is a sign on it.

instruments on display in stores are there to be played, handled and tested. If a store puts a don't touch tag on it, they don't deserve your money.

it is far more understanding to put a "handle me with care" or a "you break it, you bought it" tag on the instrument - at least then people will have a more careful attitude towards something that is not theirs - and might become someone elses instrument.
:o)
----
'95 JDMJMCS Blue Sparkle w/ McNelly 46/58's.
other non-offsets.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:12 pm

kdanie wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:00 am
shadowplay wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:39 am

It's the same with cars. I'm really not interested in talking about your car having wifi or what your white goods leasing deal is, I'm interested in whether you prefer Pininfarina, Touring or Zagato coach work on a Lancia and I fully accept that these sort of conversations are vanishingly rare and to be cherished.

D

*in a fairly art and style driven neuk
I never cared much for fancy coach work, I'm a nuts & bolts kind of guy. Cams/heads/pistons/compression ratio/rod length vs stroke ratio/tubular header dimensions and much more. At one point about 8-10 years ago I had the most visited web site on the net about exhaust header design & construction. There was very little info out there until I did the research and wrote a few articles and posted them on my own website (long gone). I don't know if it's still around on archive.org or not.

ken
Ken, Sadly most every car I truly desire was desired originally in a black and white photo, only later on did I ever see one in person, so while I am very much into engines and engineering, it all started with the aesthetics..

Interesting on your site dedicated to manifolds , I had a custom manifold made for my Ghibli recently, though I specified ceramic coating so it blended in like the original (and didn't look like a crass 'dressed' engine). I'm not much into radical engine turning, it tends to destroy tractability and most cars I like were designed to preform but the 356 and 1750GTV have non standard manifolds.

I'd have certainly looked your site over but I suspect it was focussed on US pushrod V8's and outside my sphere.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

danbind
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by danbind » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:58 am

So, if PRS was a car company, which car company would they be?

And what model would the Mayer Strat be?
remember / to kick it over

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:02 am

danbind wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:58 am

Lexus; well made, ugly, driven by people with no taste, who play golf.

The Mayer would be one of those Toyotas that are a Toyota in Japan but somehow acquire a Lexus badge during the journey west.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

higgsblossom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by higgsblossom » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:53 am

Seat Ibiza. The copy of a Volkswagen.
"500€? That's the price of a J Mascis Jazzmaster!"

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:53 pm

shadowplay wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:02 am
danbind wrote:

The Mayer would be one of those Toyotas that are a Toyota in Japan but somehow acquire a Lexus badge during the journey west.

D
Shit, what else is there to even say after that? Let's just wrap this thread up.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:40 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:53 pm
shadowplay wrote:
danbind wrote:

D
Shit, what else is there to even say after that? Let's just wrap this thread up.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:20 am

I wonder what the other Guitar-to-car companies would be?

You have the assembly line concepts of Ford (a well-loved favorite of Mr. Shadowplay) fairly in tune with Fender right?

Guess that would make Gibson General Motors?

Should probably start a new thread for this. :shifty:

BlueSparkle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlueSparkle » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:10 pm

shadowplay wrote:
danbind wrote:

D
:boobs: :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P ;D
----
other non-offsets.

danbind
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by danbind » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:24 am

shadowplay wrote:
danbind wrote:

D
Yup--you nailed it! :D
remember / to kick it over

higgsblossom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by higgsblossom » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:02 am

https://reverb.com/news/paul-reed-smith ... ontroversy
Smith quips that this guitar is "the most leaked thing that ever happened," before addressing the disparity between the trollish comments and the sentiments of people who have actually played the Silver Sky.
People who have actually played the damn thing were all like "Nice strat, man!" :whistle: ::) :D
"500€? That's the price of a J Mascis Jazzmaster!"

BlueSparkle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlueSparkle » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:09 pm

I got to play one.... Yay! I felt I owed it to myself to not be so narrow-minded.

I went down to my store, and asked to play it for a bit.

Well it all went pear shaped when I plugged it into the amp.
fzzzzzzzzzzzzzPLIK CRACKKKKKKFzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

then nothing.

Someone had buggered the output jack.

the weekend 'newb' Setup guy fixed it in a hurry - you should have seen how keen he was to make sure the PRS Silver shite was the ultimate guitar.

played it for 15 mins. Couldn't get into it. Seriously. I really tried.
Not only is the thing fucking ugly because of the headstock, it just sounds bland. flat even. Tonally blancmange.

I mean, not even a nuance. It was so uninspiring. It was a letdown, because it just reinforced my previously held opinion on PRS. What a niche it really is. The only guitar they make which I have any nice things to say about is the hollowbody - because it is insanely light and really well sculpted body. but the neck and headstock are not my thing at all.

I deliberately went there to be convinced the silver shite would have some kind of playability that was out of this world, or it would have some sort of tone that made it really unique or special.

The sad reality is of course, that it is just marketing bullshit from PRS because they signed Mayer and Fender don't. There really isn't anything I can say where I felt it stood out. It was so flat and maybe that is why I couldn't get it. Maybe it is a guitar that has to be played DI'd to a desk or a kemper... stuff I have zero desire to do. Give me a cranked 50w vintage plexi or fender twin and a cable. That is how I like to try stuff out. And I did - and it sucked tonally.

I felt quite a malaise after 15 mins. I just handed it back and could not find words. I simply said, "I don't get it" to the guys at the store.
Sorry, but officially it gets absolutely no love from me. I've played squier strats that give me a better reaction from their colour. Not even the colour on the PRS looks cool or radically different enough to make it an object of desire.

I hate being super negative on new stuff, but there is obviously some carry-over of my utter hate of the prs headstock, added to what I experienced - which was a tonally bland and colourless silver 'strat', (almost an exact copy of a strat, you can see the subtle variations on a straight-up copy so as to avoid infringement).

It's disappointing, because when stuff like this really is 'built-up' and hyped, by people with the thing in their hands, and not a few, but so many of them shouting it from their rooftops..... how is it that I feel like I have to be the 1% who don't get it ?

I wanted it to have something redeeming. In the end I felt robbed of an hour of my time.

If anyone out there has had a different playing experience I'd like to know how you play and what you plugged it into. Just for personal reference and comparison.
</rant>
----
other non-offsets.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:21 pm

ok. i'll admit, when i first commented on this thread, i had only heard 2 songs. i decided to actually listen a little deeper. i think i figured out the best way to describe his music. broblues. it's like the white man blooze lawyer trope only he has this dude bro element to him. so can we call this guitar the PRS broblues?
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'