How much does a guitar's country of origin matter?

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Meme Library
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

How much does a guitar's country of origin matter?

Post by Meme Library » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:44 am

I've only owned Mexican and chinese guitars. I have my eye on a MIJ guitar that is really well priced, and was curious how much better it "should" play compared to other guitars its price. Does a guitar's country of origin affect your likelihood to buy it?

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: How much does a guitar's country of origin matter?

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:03 am

Yes, in that I won't buy any guitars that aren't made in the United States.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:13 am

country of origin should not matter, but does matter (but not for the reasons you think)

it should not matter because quality is quality no matter what hands work on it. skilled hands are skilled hands. i've played usa made guitars that play like ass, i've played chinese guitars that play good.

now sadly, here is why it does matter. many times, companies who have overseas factories actually have very poor working conditions and get paid very poorly.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:15 am

^I also have a US-only policy such as the above, but there are circumstances that can make me more flexible. Also, I won't fault anyone for buying an import guitar who can't afford any other, but there are a lot of (used) US options under $600 if you know where and how to look. That said- Great guitars can be made anywhere, and are. (Crappy guitars too.)

IMO Japanese Fenders are particularly over-rated and over-priced at this moment; Mexican & Indonesian guitars have gotten better and the quality of electronics & hardware for Japanese guitars hasn't really improved in a long while.

As a matter of fact I think it's fallen considerably for most models, since the early 80s Squiers that made Japanese guitars 'legendary.' There are individual exceptions for certain models but if we're talking Fender I'd say value-wise upper range Squiers made in Indonesia are hard to beat. Mid/Upper range Mexican guitars are excellent quality but creeping up in price. And in aggregate quality/materials terms I don't rank most of the more recent Japanese production as any better. In political terms at least they are a developed country, though.
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Meme Library
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Meme Library » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:33 am

Danley wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:15 am
^I also have a US-only policy such as the above, but there are circumstances that can make me more flexible. Also, I won't fault anyone for buying an import guitar who can't afford any other, but there are a lot of (used) US options under $600 if you know where and how to look. That said- Great guitars can be made anywhere, and are. (Crappy guitars too.)

IMO Japanese Fenders are particularly over-rated and over-priced at this moment; Mexican & Indonesian guitars have gotten better and the quality of electronics & hardware for Japanese guitars hasn't really improved in a long while.

As a matter of fact I think it's fallen considerably for most models, since the early 80s Squiers that made Japanese guitars 'legendary.' There are individual exceptions for certain models but if we're talking Fender I'd say value-wise upper range Squiers made in Indonesia are hard to beat. Mid/Upper range Mexican guitars are excellent quality but creeping up in price. And in aggregate quality/materials terms I don't rank most of the more recent Japanese production as any better. In political terms at least they are a developed country, though.
I've seen some new MIM fenders going for ~$1000 USD :wtf: The Japanese fender I was looking at was $799.

Meme Library
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Meme Library » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:34 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:03 am
Out of moral reasons or strictly because of the quality craftsmanship/parts of MIA guitars?

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:46 am

It only matters when you sell :)
Resident Spartan.

Meme Library
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Meme Library » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:47 am

zhivago wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:46 am
Do american guitars retain value better?

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:00 pm

Meme Library wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:34 am
Larry Mal wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:03 am
Out of moral reasons or strictly because of the quality craftsmanship/parts of MIA guitars?
I guess we would have to say "moral reasons", since I do have an MIJ Jazzmaster from before I had my policy, and it's as good a guitar as anything I've ever had and would be the last guitar I would ever sell.

One reason is the resale value, another reason is that it just bugs to to have something as iconic in American culture as a Stratocaster being sold to me from a factory in China. It might be a great guitar, but I have no feeling for it.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:31 pm

Meme Library wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:47 am
zhivago wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:46 am
In my experience, yes.

To take it further, Custom Shop US made guitars...be it Fender or Gibson are probably the most solid...I would like to add Gretsch there, but their Custom Shop guitars are through the roof expensive.

This is for new production guitars, obviously...vintage is a different ball game.
Resident Spartan.

DesmondWafers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DesmondWafers » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:16 pm

Gretsch make the best regular production guitars I've played and they're MIJ. I'm not willing to pay MIA/MIJ prices for china/Korea/wherever (it blows my mind that yamaha sells 1k plus indonesian solid bodies), but I'd gladly play one if it's a good guitar.

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:49 pm

I have a strict non US made guitar policy. Not because i cant afford them but because i feel i get better value for my money when i buy Japanese and / or European made guitars.

wooderson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wooderson » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:28 pm

Eastman makes outstanding guitars with all the traditional high end appointments (fancy finishes, Lollar and Seymour Duncan pickups) but in China, Japanese guitars generally have excellent workmanship.

I prefer to buy from small builders when possible - I get MIA as a baseline for labor standards but the money is still going to the private equity assholes who own Fender/Gibson/etc. and Japan has equal or better labor standards to the US, even Korea is creeping up on the US in manufacturing wages.

When it comes to guitars/amps/etc. made in China, Indonesia or Korea I can certainly understand qualms with the labor situation.

wooderson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wooderson » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:35 pm

Meme Library wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:47 am
In my opinion, not really. Depreciation on a new guitar is a given (outside of some very specific circumstances) - the more expensive a guitar was new, the bigger that hit will be even if the percentage is lower. Oftentimes even the lower percentage isn't really true.

There are a couple of recent Custom Shop Jazzmasters on Reverb listed at $3200 (one in Inca Silver and one blue) - CS JMs new are usually ~$4200 new. 25% depreciation but a $1000 hit (and those CS JMs have been listed for a while, not moving).

Made in America American Original JM - $2000 new, sales are all over the place but in the $1300-1500 range.

The most recent sales on MIM '60s Lacquer Jazzmasters have been $750-$800, on a $1025 retail guitar. That's ~23% depreciation and a smaller actual hit.

A new MIC (I think, or maybe Indonesia) Mascis Jazzmaster is $450 and sales look to be in the $325-350 range - an even smaller hit again.

That's a very small sample size but the factory produced MIA guitar has the worst depreciation by percentage and the high end Custom Shop guitar has the worst actual depreciation in dollars.

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:45 pm

Especially true for American Standard Strats which are a deal at average $600 on the used market. So I don't buy new but I'd rather give my money for a US guitar anyway, if I did.

On average I still feel US guitars offer the best quality, whether it's worth the premium is up to you; but it is to me. But I think Japanese guitars don't even compare well to MIM any more; I'd much rather have a Mexican Jaguar or Strat than Japanese if we're talking recent prod.
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!