Single cut Les Paul Jr - new pickguard!

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
rumfoord
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Single cut Les Paul Jr - need pickguard advice

Post by rumfoord » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:27 am

Ohh, nice. I'm positive that will look good. (whether or not it's the final version of looking good...)

Paul-T
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Paul-T » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:45 am

mynameisjonas wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:14 am
Thanks, but those are for the double cut version, so they won't fit mine.
Neil Ivison, who makes what look like good LP Jr replicas, recently posted he had obtained some old stock celluloid nitrate and was producing pickguards.

https://www.facebook.com/ivisonguitars/ ... =3&theater
"classic marked down to 20 pence bargain bin fodder'

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:47 am

Thanks for the tip! :)

Btw, I had my first rehearsal with this guitar the other night. Right now my only active band (where I play guitar) is a Weezer cover band we've put together for one of the members' 40th birthday party, and it's like this guitar was made for playing that kind of stuff (Blue + Pinkerton era). I had previously used one of my Jazzmasters for that application, with a GFS Retrotron installed in the bridge position, and I think it did the job very well, but the Jr just nailed it. It somehow manages to sound both beefier and more articulate at the same time. Time to let the Jazzmaster go back to being a Jazzmaster :)

As for my more 'normal' sounds, I didn't really get to put that to the test with the band, but just playing by myself it sounded great. The pickup sounds fine to me, but I bet there's more goodness to unlock with a nicer pickup.

Speaking of which, I was was trying to find out more about the H90 pickup, and I came across the Mojotone '56 Quiet Coil, which I thought sounded amazing (and fully hum cancelling, unlike the H90). Does anyone have any experience with that pickup?

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:01 am

I finished the bakelite guard over the weekend and put it on, but I really wasn't feeling it. The black-on-black combination reminded me too much of a cheap Epiphone, so I took it off right away (sorry, no pics).

I ordered a tort guard from Creamtone, and a black truss rod cover. I think it'll look really good :)

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Re: Single cut Les Paul Jr - new pickguard!

Post by mynameisjonas » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:11 am

New pickguard day!

Really happy with how this turned out, it looks totally different depending on where the light is coming from. I forgot to take pictures of the guard before putting it on, but it’s a really nice looking celluloid tort (with that minty smell). I wonder why no one makes 4-ply guards out of this stuff. To my eyes it looks exactly like vintage tort.

I’m still waiting for a black truss rod cover, and then it’s done, cosmetically anyway.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:39 am

Beautiful!

MigJim
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MigJim » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:31 am

mynameisjonas wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:11 am
New pickguard day!

Really happy with how this turned out, it looks totally different depending on where the light is coming from. I forgot to take pictures of the guard before putting it on, but it’s a really nice looking celluloid tort (with that minty smell). I wonder why no one makes 4-ply guards out of this stuff. To my eyes it looks exactly like vintage tort.

I’m still waiting for a black truss rod cover, and then it’s done, cosmetically anyway.
Apologies for raising this thread from the dead but would you mind telling me where you got this pickguard from?

I’m after the same thing for the black LP junior I’ve just bought :)

F15hface
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by F15hface » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:09 am

Dammit I really want a BJA LPJ. People seem to be asking crazy amounts for them now, and happy to just let them sit forever.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:16 am

F15hface wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:09 am
Dammit I really want a BJA LPJ. People seem to be asking crazy amounts for them now, and happy to just let them sit forever.
I just want one of the cases
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

MigJim
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MigJim » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:57 pm

MigJim wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:31 am
mynameisjonas wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:11 am
New pickguard day!

Apologies for raising this thread from the dead but would you mind telling me where you got this pickguard from?

I’m after the same thing for the black LP junior I’ve just bought :)
Ignore me, I’ve just realised you said you got it from creamtone! That’ll teach me to skim read