So who is playing Gretsch guitars?

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
BobL
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: So who is playing Gretsch guitars?

Post by BobL » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:43 am

Zork wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:04 am

Sorry if I came across as a dick, it was not my intention at all. I just thought this repair is kind of strange, that's all. Sorry.
My impression is that the repair attempted to make the best of the break, and the only screw that looks 'off', was actually positioned where it was positioned so that it wouldn't touch the signpost. I'm guessing black anodized screws weren't a thing when it was done.

I'm in the 'that adds some cool character!' camp.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:04 am

BobL wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:43 am
Zork wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:04 am

Sorry if I came across as a dick, it was not my intention at all. I just thought this repair is kind of strange, that's all. Sorry.
My impression is that the repair attempted to make the best of the break, and the only screw that looks 'off', was actually positioned where it was positioned so that it wouldn't touch the signpost. I'm guessing black anodized screws weren't a thing when it was done.

I'm in the 'that adds some cool character!' camp.
When it's up close and in hand, I would say it was done before 1970, probably earlier. Somebody had a really bad day when that break occurred! It definitely wasn't done in a cutting age repair shop, though they put some serious effort into it. But yeah, it gives it a story and I've always been content to leave it. I've had four old Gretsches by now and not one yet that didn't have a broken (or replaced) pick guard :D
The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

pocaloc
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pocaloc » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:01 am

Squirrel wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:25 pm
Mechanical Birds wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:45 pm
I really, really love the look of those Astro Jet guitars. I wish I could find one for like a grand but they, like every piece of gear I dream about owning, have moved well beyond any price I’d be able to pay. They look so, so awesome though and if I somehow did end up with one I wouldn’t hesitate to route out some space for a Mastery trem. They’re killer.

The bridges on the other ones in this post though look insane? Like just a thin piece of metal that looks like you literally can’t set intonation, or am I wrong? I know there was a point in time where every guitar didn’t inexplicably have a Tun-o-matic, like right now, but still that ‘bridge’ looks like it would just suck in about every possible way. What’s the deal there if anybody wouldn’t mind schooling me a little
Thanks! I love the Astro Jet too, mine was a bit of an impulse purchase but I was surprised at just how incredible it plays and sounds. If you want one but want to pay less than a grand, NOS Astro Jet bodies turn up regularly on ebay for not much money. A lot of people have turned them into really cool guitars, plus you could route it for a Mastery trem with total impugnity.

Yeah, the bar bridge doesn't have adjustable intonation which kinda sucks. You're basically stuck using a wound G, which was the norm at the time. On the plus side though, it's actually a thick, solid piece of metal (the original ones from the '60s are chrome plated brass, I think) so the notes ring out really nicely. Also like a Jazzmaster bridge it rocks back and forth on its base which helps the tuning stability.

Tru Arc sells a bridge called the serpentine bridge that is a compensated bar bridge. I think around $150.

wooderson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wooderson » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:39 pm

Man, I want one of the Players Edition Country Gentleman.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:02 am

i love sharin foo wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:07 pm
Zork wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:37 pm
Nice repair on that pickguard... :fp:
It was actually done about 50 years ago. It adds a lot of history for me and I wouldn't consider changing it.
I agree, it's like the guitar version of Kintsugi.

“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

CS
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CS » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:07 am

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:12 pm

CS wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:07 am
https://i.imgur.com/TiCDThu.jpg
See you on Saturday! 8)
Resident Spartan.

CS
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CS » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:01 pm

Lol I'm limbering up to replace the strings tomorrow

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:09 pm

As of today, I am back in the Gretsch camp. Picked up a long sought after Silver Falcon. This thread got me thinking it was time to finally get one, so after some searching, and budgeting, I did!

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:44 pm

Nice!! I have always loved the look of those!

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:53 pm

i love sharin foo wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:44 pm
Thanks! It was your red Gretsch that pushed me over the over decision making edge.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:10 pm

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:53 pm
i love sharin foo wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:44 pm
Thanks! It was your red Gretsch that pushed me over the over decision making edge.
Ha! I am glad to have helped out 8)

I've had a handful of Gretsches and I have to say, a good one rivals any good Fender. Such a distinctive sound and feel. And the look :-*

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:08 am

They do have an iconic look about them. Especially the Falcons with all that glitter binding and how big they are. The size always seems emphasized by the fact that a lot of the British guitarists that favored them are small in stature.

I really love the Gretsch sound too. It’s pairing nicely with my AC-30 and tweed Bassman. I missed not having a Gretsch. My last one, a big Cadillac green Country Club had binding rot and was missing the back snap on cover so I sold it to finance my move from Austin to Seattle.

It doesn’t hurt that most of my offset guitar heroes also played Gretsch. Robin Guthrie, Will Sargent, and Johnny Marr, or they played Gretsch and Rickenbacker like George and Pete, and the Buffalo Springfield with Stills and Young both playing Gretsch was a great sound.

pocaloc
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pocaloc » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:55 pm

I meant to post this earlier but the Flickr app wasn’t giving me the code. Anyway, still loving it. I just got a Jazzmaster, which is also awesome, but made me really notice the amazing guttural howl of this thing. I have the Truarc serpentine bridge on this now.

ImageGretsch Blue Falcon by Matt Shanks, on Flickr

valley_parade
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by valley_parade » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:31 am

Oof. I remember when Gretsch put pictures of those up on social media last year and thinking damn, I will never be cool enough to play that.

Infinitely jealous, pocaloc. :?