Tell me about SG's

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
danbind
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Tell me about SG's

Post by danbind » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:22 pm

I don't own any humbucker guitars--I NEVER have, although I have a SD Seth Lover PAF to put in the neck position of one of my Tele's, but haven't gotten to it yet--in the process of making a new pickguard.

A number of my favorite guitar sounds, as it turns out, are from an SG--Jeff Louris from the Jayhawks (that solo sound on "Waiting for the Sun" is soooo sweet), some more recent Jeff Tweedy, etc. So I have some GAS there. But, there seem to be a number of options, and Gibson vs Epiphone, etc.

I'm a lefty, so I can't Just Go Play One (I'm going to be in Memphis in a couple weeks, but sadly the factory there is now shuttered and it and its wonderful playing room are gone).

Any opinions? There seem to be a number of lefties floating around on Reverb etc. Thanks in advance!
remember / to kick it over

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Tell me about SG's

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:13 pm

Not a fan. Don’t like the look or the ergonomics (well, the lack of them).

sa1126
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sa1126 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:24 pm

They are an acquired taste IMO. I've had several and currently have a classic and standard. The classic has a huge neck and p90s and the standard is has a thickish neck with 57 classics iirc. Both have bad neck dive when not holding the neck but you can really move around on the fret board better for some reason. I always feel like I have more control of the neck/fret board compared to a les paul, but I do miss the bottom heavy mass of the les paul. I did have a custom shop SG for a while with a vibrola and that guitar was incredible in all aspects but I was just too scared to play it.

In summary -- les paulish tones without the weight, extremely playable/fast guitars but not very balanced.
Gibson Les Paul Custom --> Orange AD30

great deals with dug, grandmasterdavid, ChrisFFTA, Bryce_dude13, cestlamort, jimi, HNB,blake480,DocCarlson,
Gonkulator, AWSchmit, billboneys, panoramic,Gavanti,seancomm,Swansonron,Con-Tiki!

jvin248
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jvin248 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:07 pm

Having both a vintage Gibson SG and a modern Epiphone SG G-400 ... get an Epiphone.
If you are comfortable doing setups and minor repairs if needed you can find the G-400s used for $200-$300 in pretty new condition.
Gibson models will give you breakaway headstock anxiety. Epiphone uses a scarf joint and is much stronger.

I've had G-400s from the first Korean-made ones through the latest China produced ones, I buy used. I've also had the Epiphone SG Junior, the Baldwin by Gibson SG, and the G-310 (like the G-400 except a bolt-on neck).

Newer than 2015 model Epiphone G-400s have improved pickups (but you can swap pots and caps on older guitars and get improved tone). Some get the Gibson SG pickups and wiring harness to retrofit their Epiphone so that's always an option. I pull the 0.047uF tone caps and drop in 0.033uF for a little more 'presence' and leave the rest stock -- it's a nickel upgrade.

The 24 frets and short scale pushes the neck pickup closer to the bridge so when comparing a LP to an SG it is very much like switching a Strat from the neck to the middle pickup. So don't get an SG when you really want an LP tone. They will be similar but there is that physical shift.

The guitar hangs on a strap more to one side. If you go from a Tele to and SG in one session you can feel like you are playing beside yourself. It's easy to get over but it's something you notice.

Get a strap with a suede back to keep headstock dive to a minimum. The classic 'Kluson' light tuners are a better idea than heavier 'locking tuners'.

wooderson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wooderson » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:15 pm

Recent used SG Standards can be had for way less than $1000, it's hard to beat for all the premium goodies - nitro, binding, blocks. Depending on the year hey'll either have 57 Classics or the 61R/T (same basic concept but Alnico 5 instead of 3), medium output PAF-styles.

I bought an '18 Standard cheap from Guitar Center, it's got a very Fender-y neck profile but with a wider nut. Some others I tried in previous years had a flatter more D-shaped profile, this one is C-shaped.

I find SGs to be almost as comfortable to play as offset Fenders and better than anything else.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:23 pm

Great guitars, but they've been making them since forever so there are tons of different kinds out there. I played a nice Standard a while back and it was great, super inspiring feel to it, felt totally at home in my hands. I'd love to own it.

The one I actually did own I hated, though, it was a Norlin era thing with a super skinny nut on it and I couldn't do a God damn thing with it.

So do plenty of research. It's kind of important with these, more so than other guitars, to know if you like binding, and what thickness of neck, and what kind of nut width and all.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:46 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:23 pm
Great guitars, but they've been making them since forever so there are tons of different kinds out there. I played a nice Standard a while back and it was great, super inspiring feel to it, felt totally at home in my hands. I'd love to own it.

The one I actually did own I hated, though, it was a Norlin era thing with a super skinny nut on it and I couldn't do a God damn thing with it.

So do plenty of research. It's kind of important with these, more so than other guitars, to know if you like binding, and what thickness of neck, and what kind of nut width and all.
The crazy thing is..I love norlin era Gibsons for the exact reason why Larry hates them. Those narrow nut necks are easier to play for me. I do think it's because I have smallish hands though. I've never been able to utilize my thumb for low E stuff or muting because of this.

As far as SGs go, my first good guitar was an SG standard from 2009 that I bought brand new. Was my dream guitar at the time. Wish I still had it. Played so well. Action so close. Was capable of so much more than what I utilized it for

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:54 pm

I could probably deal with the narrow nut now, my Lead 2 and such has very slim nuts on there. But at the time I had my SG, I was a pretty new guitar player, and I really couldn't do much with any guitar but I especially stumbled around on that thing.

I soon afterwards got my first Jazzmaster, and finally I had a guitar that I could connect with and play well, and I got rid of everything else. I had no idea why it worked for me and nothing else did, but that's a story for another day.

Regardless, I am very much in love with how Gibsons play now, and I find a good SG with binding and the 1.6875" nut, nice rolled edges, thick neck... I think they are just wonderful.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

dinosaurkale->
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dinosaurkale-> » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:26 am

rocked one for several years when i was younger
cant go back...too much neckdive

kingmedicine
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kingmedicine » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:25 am

Great guitars, I like the way they cut a little better (at least with my setup) than something like a Les Paul. Felt very playable to me too, didn’t notice the neck dive too much.

I think even the regular Standards and Specials are great, you don’t necessarily need one of the fancier historic models or something. I actually preferred the neck joint further up on the Standard/Special (compared to a ‘61 I had at one point), I seemed to pull it out of tune quite a bit less.

burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burpgun » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:53 am

A timely thread. I just picked up a well used SG Classic with P90s a few weeks ago, for $600. With all the faded models it seems like SGs are a really good way to get an American made guitar at a good price, at least if you go used.

My SG has the lowest action of any guitar I’ve ever owned. I love the super flat radius and it’s very light weight. I definitely wanted single coils so this was the SG for me. Neck is a little divey but I had a Thunderbird bass once, and it’s nothing like that.

At the end of the day I think my Jazzmaster sounds slightly better, but the SG is more comfortable. I suspect as some point I’ll try to pick up an SG with humbuckers just to see what that’s like.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:06 am

I’ve got a 2013 SG Standard in natural burst. It’s beautiful and has a wonderful classic rock tone. Sounds great clean or dirty. It’s very resonant and sounds great unplugged.
57 classics are great humbuckers. Have no intention of changing them out.
The neck dive isn’t bad on mine, but I use a suede strap with it, so it doesn’t happen at all.
Some people hate the slim taper necks, but I love them. Especially for lead playing.
I ordered it on a whim when they were new, because I loved the natural burst finish.
Luckily they shipped me a good one with a great set up out of the box.
I sometimes worry that it’s a fragile guitar and I baby it more than anything I ever owned. I think it’s tougher than it appears though.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

CorporateDisguise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CorporateDisguise » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:07 am

I find the solid mahogany Gibsons to be some of the most resonant solid body guitars I've every played. Firebirds and SG's especially so. There is just something incredibly special about feeling a guitar vibrate against your body while you're playing. I find it makes me feel more at one with the instrument.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:41 am

They are neck heavy. But that doesn’t stop a lot of people from liking them

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:59 am

CorporateDisguise wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:07 am
I find the solid mahogany Gibsons to be some of the most resonant solid body guitars I've every played. Firebirds and SG's especially so. There is just something incredibly special about feeling a guitar vibrate against your body while you're playing. I find it makes me feel more at one with the instrument.
I certainly agree with that- well, the classic Firebird is a nine-ply neck through body and not quite a solid mahogany, but anyway. Firebirds and SGs can be very resonant guitars.