Yay! New Gibson Day.

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Yay! New Gibson Day.

Post by shadowplay » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:50 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:50 am

Here you go, Maggie- here's your Dove.
That sounds great, I was kinda expecting a more Americana sound but in some ways it reminds me of Vini Reilly which is a big compliment coming from me.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:37 am

Thanks! It was just me kind of banging out a tune with the half hour I had without the kids. I decided to try my stereo mic on the guitar, which I don't always get to use. It only sounds so good but I see some potential.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:28 am

shadowplay wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:50 am
Larry Mal wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:50 am

Here you go, Maggie- here's your Dove.
That sounds great, I was kinda expecting a more Americana sound but in some ways it reminds me of Vini Reilly which is a big compliment coming from me.

D
Yes! I couldn't put my finger on it, but you're spot-on, D. I too, love Vini.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:26 am

I don't even know who that is- I'll have to look that up.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:34 am

Ah- Duritti Column. I actually don't know very much about them, I'll take a listen.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:14 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:34 am
Ah- Duritti Column. I actually don't know very much about them, I'll take a listen.
He’s the antirawk mirrorverse ‘insert random boomer guitar god here’of British post punk, give or take a burning strat, some tiger trousers, a racist rant, a dragon cape and matadors hat.

As frail as his gossamer arpeggios, he almost certainly never stuffed a shuttlecock down his belbottoms or had drug fuelled sex with a minor in a house once owned by a black magician.

Listen to LC, Without Mercy and The Return of the Durruti Column and I’d like to think you’ll become a fan and you’ll have so many other great records like the Guitar and other Machibrs and Vinci Reilly to move onto.

D

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:57 am

I'm listening to "Sketch For A Summer" right now. I'd forgotten how much I love this album. :-* :-* :-*

I think that The Durruti Column would be a fast favorite of most of the folks here at OSG.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:04 am

Maggieo wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:57 am
I'm listening to "Sketch For A Summer" right now. I'd forgotten how much I love this album. :-* :-* :-*

I think that The Durruti Column would be a fast favorite of most of the folks here at OSG.
I've a very clear memory of buying that record in the situationist sandpaper sleeve and being blown away with it (and cursing the packaging).

Old Man Shadowplay has in my whole life hated nearly every record I've played around him but he LOVES Love No More off Vini Reilly and even knows what it's called. A friend of mine was working in Football TV during 1990 and asked me to recommend something for when England went out, I suggested this and it was they cut a montage to it but replaced it at the last moment with some insignificant pish.

I felt incredible sadness when I learned he was ill and struggling financially a few years ago and put my hand in my pocket. It is something of a measure of the man that he stopped the collection the moment he covered his arrears and was mortified by the whole thing.

D