I want a Parker fly (but probably shouldn't)

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
simonhpieman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

I want a Parker fly (but probably shouldn't)

Post by simonhpieman » Sat May 11, 2019 3:36 am

Ever since a 12 year old Pieman picked up his first guitar magazine and had his interest piqued by an advert for Coda Music or somewhere selling a blue Parker Fly they've been heavily on my radar.

I actually had one before - the P38 Fly that was a Korean verson of the nitefly. It wasn't the same thing, though. Also, I was in a band that was doing its best to sound and look like the Strokes and all the other "the" bands of the early 00s so I was instructed to get shot.

I now play mostly in a covers band. Image isn't everything but I usually play a Riviera, Starcaster or Strat. And we play a load of indie with a bit of rock and soul on the side.

Anyway, I REALLY want a proper Fly. I tried one yesterday and loved it. Talk me out or into it. I dunno. Seems a lot for a "novelty" guitar but I could really see myself loving it. And they weigh nothing at all!

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: I want a Parker fly (but probably shouldn't)

Post by Danley » Sat May 11, 2019 5:50 am

simonhpieman wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 3:36 am
Ever since a 12 year old Pieman picked up his first guitar magazine and had his interest piqued by an advert for Coda Music or somewhere selling a blue Parker Fly they've been heavily on my radar.
My first thought was a Parker Fly, a cheap silver Zoom effect pedal and an early Line 6 Spider are the best way to get that 'I selected all my gear based off the first three ads I saw in Sept. 2001 Guitar World when I was suburban fifteen year old '-hipster look. Though personally if I was going for that look, I'd get the Papa Roach Schecter.

I also only played a Korean one, way back. I have no clue what I'd do with a piezo pickup on any guitar, for me they've all sounded terrible. Guess Parker as a company is no longer around?
Last edited by Danley on Sat May 11, 2019 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Sat May 11, 2019 5:51 am

I’ve said here before I’ve always kind of wanted an original Fly. Before it got watered down, one of the most original electric guitar designs ever.

simonhpieman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by simonhpieman » Sat May 11, 2019 7:37 am

Danley wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 5:50 am
simonhpieman wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 3:36 am
My first thought was a Parker Fly, a cheap silver Zoom effect pedal and an early Line 6 Spider are the best way to get that 'I selected all my gear based off the first three ads I saw in Sept. 2001 Guitar World when I was suburban fifteen year old '-hipster look. Though personally if I was going for that look, I'd get the Papa Roach Schecter.

I also only played a Korean one, way back. I have no clue what I'd do with a piezo pickup on any guitar, for me they've all sounded terrible. Guess Parker as a company is no longer around?
Only took me a year or so to pick up the sexily named Zoom Player 2100! Looking back now I have absolutely no idea how those things worked even now.

Love the idea of that look, tbh!!

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sat May 11, 2019 8:25 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 5:51 am
I’ve said here before I’ve always kind of wanted an original Fly. Before it got watered down, one of the most original electric guitar designs ever.
Yeah, I would like one very much.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Sat May 11, 2019 8:36 am

simonhpieman wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 7:37 am
Only took me a year or so to pick up the sexily named Zoom Player 2100! Looking back now I have absolutely no idea how those things worked even now.
I had the Line 6 of that era but no Zoom :D I never got the Papa Roach Schecter, but I had an Omen 6 to kick around in the dorms - that was a few years 'later' though and I was in a different frame of mind.

One of the most off-putting things I ever saw about the Fly was a Guitar Player cover article of 'What if Jimi Hendrix never died,' and the masthead was a digitally aged pic of 'Jimi' holding a Parker Fly playing into a POD and an eBow or something - because we all know Jimi would be prescient enough to recognize the vast potential of using piezo pickups with fifteen crappy chorus models on cheap consumer electronics with barely enough computing power to play 'Snake.'
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

simonhpieman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by simonhpieman » Sun May 12, 2019 4:12 am

So... Showed a picture to the guy who runs my band last night (he's essentially my boss as he gets all the work in).

He told me that "it'll probably sound great in your bedroom but there's no fucking chance you're showing up to a gig with that" which, sadly, is the response I expected.

Philistine :fp: :D

Maybe if they were 3-500 quid I could get one anyway but 12-1500 is a lot of money for something that's not going out often.

Gordon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gordon » Sun May 12, 2019 5:27 am

Danley wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 8:36 am
One of the most off-putting things I ever saw about the Fly was a Guitar Player cover article of 'What if Jimi Hendrix never died,' and the masthead was a digitally aged pic of 'Jimi' holding a Parker Fly playing into a POD and an eBow or something
This one? :fp:

Graphic designer (comics stuff, Doctor Who, Star Wars...): https://www.instagram.com/monsieurgordon/ \o/

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Sun May 12, 2019 6:12 am

Gordon wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 5:27 am
Danley wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 8:36 am
One of the most off-putting things I ever saw about the Fly was a Guitar Player cover article of 'What if Jimi Hendrix never died,' and the masthead was a digitally aged pic of 'Jimi' holding a Parker Fly playing into a POD and an eBow or something
This one? :fp:

Nope - in the pic he was aged (basically by using the 'enhanced technique' of Photoshop to put Keith Richards' jowls and gray hair on a picture of Jimi; I can't google it somehow, don't remember which magazine it was actually in. It just struck me as ridiculous even at the time.

Anyway, I guess band image is a thing but I pretty much wish people could get over the appearance of instruments that are otherwise fine to use. The audience doesn't care or notice; maybe they'll take note of what color your guitar is, or whether the chrome on it keeps blinding them from the stage lights.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sun May 12, 2019 9:31 am

Get an all-composite Steinberger with a Trans-Trem!

“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by countertext » Sun May 12, 2019 10:12 pm

^ I have genuinely and unironically wanted a Steinberger for 30 years.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Mon May 13, 2019 8:28 am

countertext wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 10:12 pm
^ I have genuinely and unironically wanted a Steinberger for 30 years.
As have I.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

BlueSparkle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlueSparkle » Thu May 16, 2019 7:21 am

I could have bought a Parker Fly in the lat 90's. I passed it up, because I was a LesPaul guy (still am). Not the only decision of mine that hindsight has proven me intellectually handicapped.

I mean, I LIKED the Parker Fly, but they were just so darn expensive here in Australia that it was not justifiable. Except maybe a lawyer or doctor. ($$$$)

I still want one of the early pre-washburn "unmolested" models.
It still has that modern look - a timeless contemporary instrument, only problem is, I never thought to search hard or long enough to find one - and they are a very rare guitar here.

Well, now that we all have the interwebs and reverb and stealbay etc, you'd think it'd be easy.... uh no. Whatsmore, prices have shot through the roof.

Still love them, I think they are really polarizing from a style perspective, but when you actually play one.... fwoar. smooth, fast, light and the sculpted back is amazingly comfortable.

and.... still can't afford one.
:o)
----
'95 JDMJMCS Blue Sparkle w/ McNelly 46/58's.
other non-offsets.

pj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pj » Sun May 19, 2019 12:46 am

I two Parker Niteflies. They are awesome and I like them much better than Strats. They might be something to look into because they are a lot cheaper than the regular Parkers.