NGW: New Gibson Week

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
JSutter
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGW: New Gibson Week

Post by JSutter » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:17 pm

Nice collection. I really like the color of the Les Paul.

How's the quality of the Tokai?

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:42 pm

JSutter wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:17 pm
Nice collection. I really like the color of the Les Paul.

How's the quality of the Tokai?
It's really good, aside from the thick coat of poly. But that was expected, as it's one of Tokai's MIK guitars. It's good enough it was worth the electronics swap, that's for sure.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:47 pm

HNB wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:55 am
Lovely!!
Thanks!

I like that the Tokai looks so much like the LP I had in art school, with the Zebras and all. :-*
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:52 pm

I really like how those zebras look.
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:10 pm

HNB wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:52 pm
I really like how those zebras look.
Thanks! To me, that's classic 70s Les Paul, right there.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:13 pm

The Lesters are back home!!

Duncan Antiquities and an Emerson wiring harness later:

Les Paul Studio Gibson Guitar, June 24, 2019 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Les Paul Studio Gibson Guitar, June 24, 2019 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Swapped out the electronics from the LP Studio into the Tokai- 490 pups, CTS push/pull pots, coil splitting.

Tokai Love Rock Guitar, June 24, 2019 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Tokai Love Rock Guitar, June 24, 2019 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Both of them sound great, if not amazing, and are surprisingly snappy sounding. Frankly, I'm kind of shocked at how Fender-y they sound. Maybe it's just me and everything I pick up will sound like a Fender!

They're easy to play and both necks are close to my Johnny Marr Jag's neck shape. Worthy investment.

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:13 pm

Nice Maggie!

Re: pickup sounds ... in my experience the 'better' sounding humbuckers are the ones voiced to be more vintage sounding, which usually sound like slightly beefier single coils (rather than the thick/dark/muddy sound that we often associate with humbuckers). The bridge pickup in my ES335 sounds an awful lot like a slightly higher output telecaster pickup - or at least that's my closest point of reference.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:56 am

Despot wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:13 pm
Nice Maggie!

Re: pickup sounds ... in my experience the 'better' sounding humbuckers are the ones voiced to be more vintage sounding, which usually sound like slightly beefier single coils (rather than the thick/dark/muddy sound that we often associate with humbuckers). The bridge pickup in my ES335 sounds an awful lot like a slightly higher output telecaster pickup - or at least that's my closest point of reference.
Thanks!

That is a spot-on description of the Duncans, and the 490s, though they have a bit more midrange bite than the Antiquities. The Tokai has an Ash body, with a Maple cap and neck, which is probably why the 490s have more snap and clarity than they did in the Gibson, which is the trad Mahogany with Maple cap.

You know, it's funny; I have more SGs and LP-type guitars than I have Jazzmasters or Jags. I think that's because Nelvis and Green Arrow are so perfect for me, I don't need to look for more. Though I'd love to get my hands on a JM and a Jag from 1964, my birth year.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:53 am

Larry, looks like you're right and I'm going to add the Faber ABR bridges to my Studio, and my SG Special.

Nashville vs. Faber

So, imagine this with a Faber:

Gibson SG Body, July, 2009 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

It already has the Emerson harness and Lollar P-90s.