New incoming guitar day- want to guess?

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New incoming guitar day- want to guess?

Post by mackerelmint » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:12 pm

If you want to do one of these threads and really get it going, consider a Jackson soloist or a BC Rich warlock or something.

But not either of those because now people are going to guess them right off the bat. Man, you can't hardly win at this game.
This is an excellent rectangle

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:19 pm

I assumed that my putting up a hippie Richie Havens video from Woodstock no less would give you plenty to work with, though!
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

DesmondWafers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DesmondWafers » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:42 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:05 pm
Nice! Is this your first rosewood bodied guitar?
Yeah. I was worried it would sound too similar to my 00018 but the difference is massive.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:52 pm

Yeah, rosewood and mahogany sound much different from each other, no doubt. You also have the long scale on the OM and the short with the 000 so those two guitars are probably very different sounding from each other- I don't really know much about the OM guitars, though.

Your OM- it's new, it's the 1.75" nut? That's the only thing I am leery of with the Guild, it has the 1 11/16" nut and that's not my favorite, I prefer the 1.75" personally.

I can deal with it, though. For about fifteen or more years, my only acoustic was that nut width.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

DesmondWafers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DesmondWafers » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:59 pm

Yeah, 1.75". The only differences with the OM28 and 00018 are what you mentioned, scale and wood. Maybe the bracing is different, but I don't know enough to say, I simply played an om28 in a store and had to get one.

The f50 I played did have a small nut width, but like you said, I don't really consider that a deal breaker. It probably had the same nut width as your guild and I wouldn't think twice about playing fingerstyle stuff on it.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:09 pm

Nah, I'll be fine, I think. My old Martin that I played forever had the same nut and I grew up with that guitar doing all the stuff I do now on it, and while I have grown to like the wider nuts I'll probably be OK. Or I'll move the Guild on if not, you know how it is.

I'm very used to and comfortable with the dreadnaught shape, I like all the guitar shapes though- and I really liked the 000 shape, I'll make my way to one of those again some day.

But I don't like the older Martins anywhere near as much as the newer ones. The scalloped bracing I prefer much more to the straight kind, and the newer Martins have wonderfully playable necks.

My particular Guild has some things that I am looking forward to, apparently they had brought in Ren Ferguson at some point, he's the guy who turned Gibson around from the bad Norlin years into what they are today. He is the guy who got Gibson back on light and scalloped bracing again and so on- frankly, a lot of the cool stuff that Martin is doing now seems to be a response to what Gibson has become known for.

But with Guild, I guess he got them to use a lighter top on there, and to use even still lighter bracing as well. They can get away with that because the bracing is Adirondack spruce these days, even when the top is Sitka. I'm told that Adirondack is a stronger and more rigid wood, so that it makes for stronger braces, which can allow for lighter tops, etc.

Marketing Director David Gonzales and Plant Manager Frank Untermeyer have been given the same charge as those before them – to make new Guild guitars that are both faithful to the past and appropriate for the modern market. The modifications to the Guild line have been the most significant to date. A major focus has been to make the guitars lighter, and thus have a more open sound than earlier versions that have a reputation for weight. To that end, all guitars now have Adirondack spruce top braces because the wood is stronger than Sitka. This allows for the braces to be lighter than, yet as strong as, thicker ones of Sitka. The tail block was changed from a solid mahogany to laminated birch that is as strong, but lighter.

All U.S.-made Guild 12-strings now have a single truss rod with two graphite bars flanking it, the idea being the setup is both more user-friendly and lighter. The double truss rod system of earlier Guild 12s worked well, but was heavy and could be tricky to use.

All traditional models now have open-back tuners thought to be both more refined-looking, and known to be lighter in weight. The top radius has been changed from a 40-foot to a steeper 30-foot, to provide more projection from the instrument. The tenon on the dovetail neck joint has been enlarged to increase stability and the heel has been slimmed down. All Guild necks are now three-piece mahogany with walnut replacing maple as the center strip. The three-piece neck is stronger than one piece, and walnut is a closer match to mahogany as the woods react to changes in temperature and humidity. All Guilds now have a double-action truss rod.

This is also good information if you care to know any more about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZsapzd7uOU

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:27 pm

Guilds are fantastic guitars all around.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:22 am

Nice!

I'm the proud owner of a late 70s Guild D50 and have always been very impressed by it, especially after trying out various weighs & brands of strings. I'm currently using a light gauge Pyramid set - bronze phosphor. I've also been really happy with Martin Bluegrass strings.

I have to say though, even though there's amazing brightness, projection & resonance from this guitar, I do occasionally miss the warmer, slightly more rounded tone of my old Eko Ranger which had mahogany back & sides. One of these days I'll have to try out a slightly higher end mahogany model with a proper solid top (the Eko was laminated but still sounded incredible).
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.