NGD Guild D-40 Bluegrass Jubilee

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NGD Guild D-40 Bluegrass Jubilee

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:38 am

So, this is the Guild that I just got yesterday:

Handsome Adirondack spruce top to it:

Beautiful bone nut came stock- very well done, with very narrow string spacing on this one:

Real mother of pearl "Chesterfield" logo head stock:

An all around handsome instrument.

So, I got it because of the Adirondack top on there, like I might have mentioned, all my other stuff is the much more common Sitka. Sitka is great, but I thought to try something new. Apparently there can be a fairly big difference between the two spruce tops, it's said that because Adirondack is a more firm wood that it will vibrate a little less, meaning that the guitar remains clear and doesn't "break up" at high volumes.

I'm not really sure if I'm feeling that- I feel like I'm driving the top about as much as I ever do.

It sounds great, though. It's a very loud instrument, but it's got a great dynamic range to it. You play soft, and it's nice and clear, you dig in to it and the sound just booms out. An all around winner.

I'd been reading on the Guild philosophy at the time they were making these (New Hartford under Fender ownership), and they made a lot out of the balance of the guitars. I'll agree- this guitar has a fair amount of bass, but it's not particularly dominant over the other frequencies. It certainly has less bass focus than my Gibsons, and this guitar is designed to be a direct competitor to the Martin D-18, and I'll reckon that if anyone fell in love with the Martin bass sound then they would not like this guitar as much.

Still, no complaints from me- I like the balance and will imagine that this will lead it to be a great recording guitar.

So, the thing that I was hesitant was the nut width on this one. They are sticking with the 1 11/16" nut, and that's not my favorite, I like wider nuts. And this particular nut feels even narrower than that, I'll measure it when I get it home from the office. Not only that, though, but the strings are pretty tight on the nut anyway, you can see in one of the pictures that the bass E string is pretty far in from where it could have been.

But, it's a very easy playing guitar, someone got the setup dialed in perfectly. It may not be my favorite for fingerpicking, although I spent years fingerpicking on a Martin with the same neck, but it is super fast for chording and flatpicking on. The neck is fairly thick in contour, and nicely rounded at the fingerboard... it's a wonderful playing neck.

This particular Guild was made in New Hartford, and Guild has been bouncing around a lot. At this point Guild was trying to compete by making guitars that cut no corners, they were trying to compete by making guitars better than their competitors at a cheaper price point. So, you know, I'm listening!

And I'd say they got it, it's actually a pleasure to get this because as you know I buy a lot of Gibson acoustics later.

Well, I always say with Gibson that there's a great guitar in there somewhere, and when I get those then I have to order a bone saddle, and do something with the cheap bridge pins, and pull out the stupid electronics and such. Make a plan to one day put on a good bone nut and such.

But Guild did it up on these models, it's a stock bone saddle, nut and pins, no stupid undersaddle pickups, real Honduran mahogany, mother of pearl and so on. Also, they took advantage of the Adirondack spruce's strength on these in order to make the bracing as thin and light as they could, and the top as light and responsive as they could, and so on. They also make a big deal out of making the radius of the top be 30', which is supposed to give it some projection (I think Gibson uses 25'). They also make a three piece neck on these, with a walnut stringer down the middle, which is supposed to make it be as strong as it can be.

I dunno, but I can say that Guild was determined to make a great guitar at this point and they did it. It didn't sell for a lot, so if you are interested in this type of guitar at this price point, maybe give Guild a shot. You'll want to be learning a bit about Guild, though, they've been moved around by Fender for some time now, and are now owned by Cordoba. Each of these eras is apparently strong, not to mention their earlier Westerly runs, but it took me a while to learn what I wanted.

Glad I did, though, it's a winner.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

MrFingers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD Guild D-40 Bluegrass Jubilee

Post by MrFingers » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:38 am

Friend of mine has the F-30R from the same series (also New Hartford, also adirondak,...) it's the best sounding & playing guitar I've ever played, and it absolutely outclassed Gibsons, Martins,... that were twice as expensive.

DesmondWafers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DesmondWafers » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:53 am

The "balance" thing is what I've most noticed about guilds. I've never played one that sounded boomy, especially when recording. Congrats though! Looks like a fine guitar, I'd like to try adirondak at some point.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:16 am

It's really something. I can't wait to get a microphone on it, it'll record very well I think. A nice instrument. Frankly, if the nut was a little wider, I could see me going apeshit for Guilds like I do everything else.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:13 am

Also, I'm happy to report that when I measure the nut, my calipers are giving me a reading of 1.720", so a little thicker than the advertised 1.6875". This makes me happier.

Bert Camenbert
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bert Camenbert » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:48 am

Nice! My number one acoustic is a westerly-made sunburst D-40 from 1989. Yep, the first thing I noticed when I played was how balanced the tone was, the bass on dreadnoughts is often overpowering, but not on these guitars. I do a lot of hybrid picking, the bass strings are plucked with a pick and the treble side by bare fingers, which means the bass string tend to sound louder. The last thing I need is boomy bass strings. As sons as I heard the guitar, I made an offer. And I got it for relatively cheap: compared to Gibsons and Martins, Guilds are still quite affordable.
Last edited by Bert Camenbert on Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bert Camenbert
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bert Camenbert » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:52 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:13 am
Also, I'm happy to report that when I measure the nut, my calipers are giving me a reading of 1.720", so a little thicker than the advertised 1.6875". This makes me happier.
The nut on mine is about 1 5/8 ". It doesn't bother me.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:53 am

Guilds are magic fuckin' guitars, my dude. The one thing in my guitar inheritance that my dad ISN'T actively fucking up is both he and my mom still have the pair of D-25s that they got when they got married in the late 70s. My mom's is black and is the winner of the two, and his is teal blue. I've got a brown one that I bought myself after growing up hearing those guitars and I have yet to hear another acoustic that moves me even half as much.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:03 am

Dammit, Larry!

Now I'm GAS-ing for a Guild!

Great write-up of what sounds like a fantastic instrument. Looking forward to hearing some clips of it.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:36 am

Maggie, you might like to look at this M-20 here:

https://www.monoclemadnessshop.com/?utm ... xd_Wt1KM4I

So, that's a guitar that is featured on a Nick Drake album cover I understand, which means that for Guild it's a model fairly well associated with an artist that people have heard of. They seem to want to be showing that they have classic models also, regardless, though, it looks like a very fun guitar and I know you like smaller bodied guitars at this point.

The price is not high, especially used.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:42 am

Bert Camenbert wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:48 am
Nice! My number one acoustic is a westerly-made sunburst D-40 from 1989. Yep, the first thing I noticed when I played was how balanced the tone was, the bass on dreadnoughts is often overpowering, but not on these guitars. I do a lot of hybrid picking, the bass strings are plucked with a pick and the treble side by bare fingers, which means the bass string tend to sound louder. The last thing I need is boomy bass strings. As sons as I heard the guitar, I made an offer. And I got it for relatively cheap: compared to Gibsons and Martins, Guilds are still quite affordable.
Yep. I did not spend much on this guitar for what I feel it is, certainly if I were to spec out the same guitar with any of the other guitar makers big or small it would cost a lot more.

I did get this used, though, it would have been over $2.3k originally, so not cheap.

But I am thinking that Guild does not hold value as well as Martins and such, also, this particular one does not have the sticker in the body so I don't have a serial number. This means that it would be harder for me to sell it since I can't quite prove what it is very easily.

I was prepared to skip it since I didn't know what it was exactly, and neither did the seller, but a nice person on the Guild forum knew what it was and he gave me the breakdown.

Bert Camenbert
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bert Camenbert » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:18 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:36 am
Maggie, you might like to look at this M-20 here:

https://www.monoclemadnessshop.com/?utm ... xd_Wt1KM4I

So, that's a guitar that is featured on a Nick Drake album cover I understand, which means that for Guild it's a model fairly well associated with an artist that people have heard of. They seem to want to be showing that they have classic models also, regardless, though, it looks like a very fun guitar and I know you like smaller bodied guitars at this point.

The price is not high, especially used.
Uuuuhhh, that's a link to a web shop that sells monocles.

You thinking of buying a monocle, Larry?

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:20 am

“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Bert Camenbert
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bert Camenbert » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:26 am

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:37 am

Oh, that's hilarious! No, I'm not buying a monocle, but I am trying to make my wife think that I am. I'm asking her does she want me to get the silver or the black, since according to me the gold monocle is "too ostentatious".

This is my wife's life these days.