Fenders with NonFender Pickup Choices

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fenders with NonFender Pickup Choices

Post by stevejamsecono » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:52 am

mackerelmint wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:20 pm

Ol' John Oates has been rocking humbuggies in a strat since forever and look where it took him.
There's the guy. My hero.

Yeah I think I'm gonna try some different stuff out and see how it goes. I'll keep you guys posted!
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:28 am

mackerelmint wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:20 pm

Ol' John Oates has been rocking humbuggies in a strat since forever and look where it took him.
Goddamn, I love Hall & Oates!!!
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:45 am

Saw them a couple years ago; they didn’t play Kiss on my List, but really good show still.
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Arthon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Arthon » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:15 pm

I had a Jaguar HH Special (MIJ black one). Even with the HB's and the Tune-o-Matic, it still felt like a Fender. I even trid to put Gibson HB in it and it still felt like a Fender. It didnt sound like a full Gibson either. Sold it because it was too "in-between", and I have now 3 classic Gibson and 4 classic Fender.

I understand that this "in between" sound is what your looking for, so go for it!
The Blues Cartographer
(sorry for the spelling, I speak french)

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:29 am

Arthon wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:15 pm
I had a Jaguar HH Special (MIJ black one). Even with the HB's and the Tune-o-Matic, it still felt like a Fender. I even trid to put Gibson HB in it and it still felt like a Fender. It didnt sound like a full Gibson either. Sold it because it was too "in-between", and I have now 3 classic Gibson and 4 classic Fender.

I understand that this "in between" sound is what your looking for, so go for it!
That's kind of the tough thing, I think. I honestly think the scale length/body size and composition has more to do with how things sound than pickups. That being said, I'm still looking so I'm sure I'll find something cool to put in it.

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

wproffitt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wproffitt » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:35 am

Below is a pic of the JM I put together last summer with a Micawber pickup set from Sunday Handwound Pickups. The broadcaster pickup at the bridge yields very obviously Fendery results. The in between position sounds pretty Fendery, too. The neck PAF, while capable of being clean and articulate, sounds decidedly like something you’d expect to hear in a Gibson, though. I mean this in the best possible way! I supposed I had assumed that it would still sound more Fendery due to the way the the guitar is put together, but if I were looking for a guitar to use for Les Paul sounds, this would be it.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:40 am

I admit I only read the first few posts of the thread and skimmed the rest, but...

Have you given any thought to WRHB-equipped Fenders?

I feel those keep the essential "fender" characteristic but get that bigger, fuller thing.

For that reason, I've been using a WRHB-equipped Tele Thinline as my main guitar for like the last 5 years. I love it

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:44 am

øøøøøøø wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:40 am
I admit I only read the first few posts of the thread and skimmed the rest, but...

Have you given any thought to WRHB-equipped Fenders?

I feel those keep the essential "fender" characteristic but get that bigger, fuller thing.

For that reason, I've been using a WRHB-equipped Tele Thinline as my main guitar for like the last 5 years. I love it
Brad, you have to post a photo of it again, it's so fucking rad.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:47 am

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:05 am

Thinline Fender Jaguar with Mastery Bridge (soon even a Mastery Tremolo) and Seymour Duncan P-Rails (so P-90, HB and Rail-Single Coil) with 1M pots... while my guitar tech said the Strat sounds on the „rail“ position would be convincing, I find the P90 most attractive. Very sparkly, yet heavy and deals with any kind of distortion or Fuzz way better than the standard PUs (japanese) ever could. Side note: I used the screw position of the Jag-PU as the middle for the HB sized PUs - so it‘s likely to be bassier and more sparkly at the same time. But generally, yes! Still way more Fender than Gibson or anything else! But yes, also more sustaining (I think the Mastery is to „blame“!

Can‘t say much on Strats or Leads - but to my ear a PU never changes an appearance entirely... it‘s always ”more“!

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:26 am

øøøøøøø wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:47 am
As you wish!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsOg02NjwiM/
Oh dang, look at that thing.

And in re: to WRHB's I've played some more recent/"fake" ones but never any originals, so I don't know how accurate a picture I'm getting of what they can do.

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:34 am

stevejamsecono wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:26 am
øøøøøøø wrote:
As you wish!

And in re: to WRHB's I've played some more recent/"fake" ones but never any originals, so I don't know how accurate a picture I'm getting of what they can do.
Not very accurate, I’d say! Most new (reissue) ones have bar magnets on the bottom instead of rod magnets, and behave quite differently! Lollar, Novak, and Telenator (maybe a few others) make new ones that get in the ballpark. Worth a look/listen!

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:54 am

øøøøøøø wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:34 am
stevejamsecono wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:26 am
øøøøøøø wrote:
As you wish!

Not very accurate, I’d say! Most new (reissue) ones have bar magnets on the bottom instead of rod magnets, and behave quite differently! Lollar, Novak, and Telenator (maybe a few others) make new ones that get in the ballpark. Worth a look/listen!
I'll check 'em out. Thanks for the tip!

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:01 am

wproffitt wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:35 am
Below is a pic of the JM I put together last summer with a Micawber pickup set from Sunday Handwound Pickups. The broadcaster pickup at the bridge yields very obviously Fendery results. The in between position sounds pretty Fendery, too. The neck PAF, while capable of being clean and articulate, sounds decidedly like something you’d expect to hear in a Gibson, though. I mean this in the best possible way! I supposed I had assumed that it would still sound more Fendery due to the way the the guitar is put together, but if I were looking for a guitar to use for Les Paul sounds, this would be it.

Goddamn I love this, reminds me of mine...https://www.instagram.com/p/Bn8phStHgnK/
''It's not what you play, it's what you play'' - Troy Van Leeuwen

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:33 am

In terms of pickups that bridge the divide, I vastly prefer the tone of Firebirds to WRHBs. Thicker than a Fender single coil, but with more bite than any WRHB I've ever played.

While not officially a Fender, check out these Lollars in a 25" scale Duo-sonic II build.

If you've been considering putting a P90 into your guitar, you can get P90-mount Firebirds. Regular Firebrids have deep tabs on them, but a bunch of people wind ones with short/flat tabs that fit into P90 mounting rings easily, like this Lollar:

The artist formerly known as mbene085.