How to ruin NGD

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: How to ruin NGD

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:22 pm

adamrobertt wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:56 pm
Larry Mal wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:37 am
Yes, they should have. They should also just do a scarf joint, which I have no idea why they don't do that since you would never even see it on a Gibson.
Unfortunately it would piss off the bl00z lawyers. I bet their sales would tank like crazy.
I wonder if you would even know it, though? They would just paint right over the joint.

But who knows. Maybe the tonz would go bad.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:11 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:22 pm
adamrobertt wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:56 pm
Larry Mal wrote:
Yes, they should have. They should also just do a scarf joint, which I have no idea why they don't do that since you would never even see it on a Gibson.
Unfortunately it would piss off the bl00z lawyers. I bet their sales would tank like crazy.
I wonder if you would even know it, though? They would just paint right over the joint.

But who knows. Maybe the tonz would go bad.
Don’t nobody like no stale tonz.

But then, suffering is what the blooz is all about. Blooz, lawyers, blooz.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:47 am

Totally infuriating to me that this is an inevitability with every Gibson guitar, they realized this and came up with a solution that we know works and doesn’t change the feeling/sound/playing of whatever the guitar is, but some fuckin dads complained about it being a change and big surprise, Gibson drops the objectively good positive feature pretty much all together.

What a dumb, ridiculous, stupid fucking company.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:47 am

Mechanical Birds wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:47 am
Totally infuriating to me that this is an inevitability with every Gibson guitar, they realized this and came up with a solution that we know works and doesn’t change the feeling/sound/playing of whatever the guitar is, but some fuckin dads complained about it being a change and big surprise, Gibson drops the objectively good positive feature pretty much all together.

Gibson hasn't been making volutes since what... 1983? So Gibson hasn't been doing this (or a scarf joint) for more than 35 years and somehow it's the fault of this infamous internet strawman? Who do all these blooz lawyers and dads take their cues from any way?

My guess is that it has more to do with some snooty vintage guitar dealer like George Gruhn or a 'guitar god' like Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton or someone like that making some offhand comment thirty years ago based on nonsense and it sort of took off from there. Also, the Norlin Era guitars happened to correspond with a generally acknowledged drop in guitar build quality overall. Even with better features and ideas, if the assembled quality isn't there then those improvements will fall by the wayside.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:57 am

Mechanical Birds wrote:

I have to tell you that as a Norlin era aficionado, I look at those guitars pretty frequently. There are a good number of them out there that had headstock repairs and from what I can deduce- very non-scientific- that the volute didn't really offer all that much more protection.

I would still prefer it if they did something, though, and the volute is actually just fine, you'd never notice it. But they could also just make three or more piece necks, there's really no reason it needs to be made out of one piece of wood.

And of course the scarf joint would help a lot.

But don't blame Gibson for this, because Gibson periodically tries to address shortcomings on their guitars and it costs them heavily because the guitar buying world is slightly more conservative than the people who ran the Salem witch trials and about as tolerant of change.

That period that Gibson made stronger necks? That almost put them out of business entirely. The only reason that there is a Gibson now is because someone bought the failing company that tried to be innovative for peanuts, and revived it with the promise that they would only make the guitars like they always had, flaws and all.

Every time Gibson and any other guitar maker innovates, it quickly becomes a matter of survival. Most of them don't survive. Just ask Parker, and Ovation, and a whole lot more.

Remember the Arch Deluxe.

The problem isn't Gibson, the problem is us.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:31 am

Mechanical Birds wrote:
some fuckin dads complained
Larry Mal wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:57 am
the problem is us.
Sorry to TOTALLY do a mind-melt here, but I am a dad with a dubious quality control Norlin Les Paul. 8) :ph34r:

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:59 am

There you go! See how they were making three piece necks? Much stronger. And the volute helped out also.

But, you know, it's different than what Eric Clapton played on the Bluesbreakers album, so it's not any good.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:50 pm

Jaguar018 wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:31 am
Mechanical Birds wrote:
some fuckin dads complained
Larry Mal wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:57 am
the problem is us.
Sorry to TOTALLY do a mind-melt here, but I am a dad with a dubious quality control Norlin Les Paul. 8) :ph34r:

This looks awesome and fucking hilarious all at once oh my god those lines on the body would drive me crazy!

Admittedly, and obviously I guess, I only know Gibson shit in broad strokes but I wholly agree with Larry’s take on things, pretty much universally, but especially on the killing innovation because we’re dumb tip.

Like I’d always understood that a volute solves all woes but I guess not. Learned something at least!

Some guy between where I live and Columbus offered to trade me an SG classic (p90s, big dot inlays & binding) and a burny LP copy that was the almost redless/all yellow burst for my AVRI62 Strat but I responded too late and some other motherfucker pounced on the Burny. I’m gonna be pissed about that for a long time because I’ve been trying to snag some kind of MIJ Les Paul for years and I sure as shit am not gonna spend real
Money on one. Sucks, bad.

RuffiansFC
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RuffiansFC » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:41 am

Larry Mal wrote:
I have a MIK LP with a scarf joint around where breaks tend to happen. given how super thin the neck is, it is a necessity. it has taken a few tumbles that it shouldn't have survived, but it is just as rock solid today as it has ever been. given how any guitar maker using mahogany basically has to scrap a body together, insisting on one piece necks makes no sense.