Thread to predict currently expensive stuff that will be worth f*ck all eventually

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
jrotol3
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Thread to predict currently expensive stuff that will be worth f*ck all eventually

Post by jrotol3 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:39 pm

I often wonder how the high price of guitars and gear is sustained at the volumes that companies are producing them. I love watching the factory tours on youtube but I'm blown away when they brag about making 100's per day if not thousands. Even "boutique" builders can churn out impressive numbers using CNC machines and finishing by hand. Add in all of the mid-range/cheaper stuff made in Mexico/Indonesia/China/Korea etc, the global guitar production numbers are staggering. Where do they go? (looks in corner at 10-12 guitars).

I really think the majority of stuff made today is not going to be worth very much 15-20 years from now. Even today, you have to be willing to take almost a 30% or more loss if trying to sell barely used, practically new gear. This is my logic for always buying used. A few things will rise in value unexpectedly for reasons that no one can predict (ie DODs newfound popularity) but its a crapshoot. The best thing someone can do is buy gear that they enjoy and enjoy it! Gear as an investment is a bad investment.

gishuk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Thread to predict currently expensive stuff that will be worth f*ck all eventually

Post by gishuk » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:47 am

I do agree that due to sheer volume its unlikely anything being made after the 70s will really go up in value in the same way things before that have. Obviously there will be exceptions, but a regular off the line USA made Strat or Les Paul isnt gonna be appreciating.

Which frankly is good news for players, plenty of great guitars kicking around at affordable prices.

Scout
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Scout » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:37 pm

The latest and greatest have been proclaiming the death of tube ( valve to my ancestral friends) amplification since the advent of the transistor. Long live the captive electron! They also can’t replicate live music, never have , never will.

StrangeIdols
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StrangeIdols » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:26 pm

Scout wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:37 pm
The latest and greatest have been proclaiming the death of tube ( valve to my ancestral friends) amplification since the advent of the transistor. Long live the captive electron! They also can’t replicate live music, never have , never will.
Not to be confrontational, but in the last ten years how many new valve circuits, or steps forward in valve technology have surfaced? Compared to transistor and digital amps, not many. Sure valves won't be redundant for a while, but the difficulty in getting a good/cheap valve amp versus a decent to high quality transistor amp gives me that impression, at least personally, ymmv

Valve won't die for a while (i genuinely hope not at least), but sadly there's only so long it'll remain sustainable imo

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:01 pm

Scout wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:37 pm
Indeed. But their numbers do seem to be on an upward trend again since the advent of digital. ;)
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.